Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 12, 2011, 10:23 AM   #1

Default lens choice and crop camera question

Thinking of getting either a 24-105 0r 24-70, not sure which one. The plan is to use it primarily for environmental kids portraits and a walk around (not landscape) lens.

The big issue is everyone talks about not getting these for a crop camera, I say why not? I'm not interested in the wide view for this lens. problem is I do love the look of F2.8 but the F4 lens has IS. I already have a 50 1.4 and a 100 F2.8 L macro so this is to slot between the two. Right now it looks like I will stick with my crop body for a bit so Im concentrating on the glass. any opinions on this
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2011, 12:34 PM   #2

A 24mm lens mounted on a Canon crop sensor will have the equivalent focal length of 38mm. This may be too tight for a lot of people. The general purpose EF-S lenses start at 17 or 18mm, giving the equivalent focal length of 27mm.

A fast lens with a narrow DOF might be just the ticket for your line of work. slow shutter speeds and kids doesn't mix very well anyway, so the f2.8 may exceed the f4 IS lens for your application.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2011, 2:54 PM   #3

well i rented the 24--105 ..on my xsi and i loved it.. seemed fine for what i did ...really liked the extra reach it had compared to the 18--55...
kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2011, 8:36 PM   #4

go with the 24-70..
lonefeather93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2011, 3:20 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Hi AJ, it rather depends. Both of course are very good lenses.

On FF I prefer the stabilized 24-105, and I usually shoot it at f5.6 where it's very sharp across most focal lengths, but of course on the 5D2 I can add an extra couple of stops to the ISO without worrying, compared to the crop sensors.

The 24-70 is quite a lot bigger and heavier, but I don't think you mind that as much as I do. And of course with the crop the f2.8 comes in handy for shallow DOF.

Overall though for me the slightly more versatile zoom range, the IS, the lighter weight, and the lower cost would probably swing the decision in favour of the 24-105, even on a crop camera. For environmental portraits and walkaround usage I don't think the extra stop is going to be useful enough to overcome all the advantages of the 24-105.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:39 AM   #6

Both great lenses, myself I'd probably go for the 24-105 f/4.

Personal choice, I have lenses runnng from 19mm to 300mm at f/2.8 but after analyising my usage for focal length and aperture I ended up buying a 17-40 f/4 L and a 70-200 f/4 L.

It is those 2 lenses that go almost everywhere with me (and the fabulous 50$ 50mm). They have majorly reduced the weight of my camera bag (important for me now). The other lenses come out when I expect to need them for some particular work like more distant animals or macro.
I use non crop bodies, the 5d-mkii being my prefered choice.

I found a program (free) on the weeb that ran through all my images and gave detailed usage stats for the aperture, focal length, ISO and shutter speed used.
It only worked files after they had been converted to jpgs.

My age is showing, I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called.
I'll keep trying to remember, maybe enough coffee will jog the memory.

Last edited by PeterP; Feb 15, 2011 at 9:56 AM. Reason: speeling cerektin
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2011, 4:12 PM   #7

Found it!!!
program called ExposurePlot v 1.13 at
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/ExposurePlot.html

v 1.14 is available on the authors site at
http://www.cpr.demon.nl/prog_plotf.html

Remember to be carefull, it is free so scan it well for anything unexpected!
(I always worry about things I find on the big wide weeb)

Last edited by PeterP; Feb 15, 2011 at 4:18 PM. Reason: added newer version link to pgm authors site
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2011, 7:19 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies, Im kinda swayed toward the 2470L

by this
http://www.flickriver.com/search/50D...L/interesting/
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2011, 11:42 PM   #9

Thanks, that flickriver is a great link!
Old Feb 16, 2011, 4:20 PM   #10

i'd go with the 24-105. it's got a MUCH more versatile range for a "walkabout" lens. sure, on a crop body it's "only" 38mm at the wide end, but as you said, you aren't planning a lot of landscape work with it, and it gives you almost 170mm at the other end compared to only 112mm for the 24-70 - better for candids and portraits. unless you plan on doing a lot of really low-light stuff, you probably won't need the f/2.8 anyway, and the 24-105 has IS, which really enhances low-light shooting... in fact, f/4 with IS is about as good as f/2.8 without it, so there really isn't that much advantage to the f/2.8 anyway.

Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering...
~ Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote