Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 17, 2011, 11:34 AM   #11

how does the 5d compare to the 7d for image quality? i would venture to say that if you took the same shot with the 24-105 on both bodies, and printed both, you wouldn't see any visible difference, at least not until your print size got over about 12x18. if anything, the 5d might have a slightly 'smoother' look, due to the larger photosites and lower pixel density, but other than that, you probably couldn't tell which was which. once you get above that size, the 7d's added resolution would start to make a difference, but how far you could push it before it became 'significant' would depend on a lot of variables.

where you MIGHT notice some difference is in the corners. the 5d, being FF, will reveal any softness in the corners of your lens. the 24-105 is pretty decent in that regard, though i've heard it gets a tad soft wide open, but stop it down to f/8 or so, and everything gets nice and sharp. the advantage of the 7d is that you wouldn't see that softness in the corners because the crop sensor only "sees" about the center 60% of the image circle, and you don't get any falloff at the edges. that's the one big advantage of using EF lenses instead of EF-S on a crop body.

basically if you make lots of LARGE prints, and don't like to upsample your images, the 7d might be a better choice, especially if you don't care so much about the wide angle capability of the FF body. if you seldom print larger than, say, 8x12 or 12x18, then the 5d's IQ would be just fine for your needs.

Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering...
~ Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com

Last edited by squirl033; Feb 17, 2011 at 11:54 AM.
squirl033 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2011, 4:21 PM   #12

Thank you for replying. I think I've mnaged to make a decision based on your replies and some googling ... I'll give the 5D a miss and wait till 5D MKIII turns up ... till then I will stick to my trusted 7D
Current Gear: Canon 7D+BG-E7 Battery Grip & 60D with EF 24-105 f/4 L IS; EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II; EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS; EF 100 f2.8 L IS; EF 50 f/1.8 II; Canon Speedlite 430 EX II; Metz 58 AF-1; Canon RC-5 Wireless Remote Controller & RS-80N3 Remote Switch; Manfrotto 190CX PRO4 with Manfrotto 322RC2 Grip Ball Head; Kenko Extension Tube Set; B+W UV & Polorizing filters
rienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2011, 4:41 PM   #13
Super Moderator

I know you've decided but when it comes down to it they are pretty different beasts. for landscapes it really doesn't matter as long as you have the right glass, for sports/action/wildlife the 7D kills the 5D, for portraits then the larger sensor is better to have making the 5D better. Also the high ISO on the 5D is better than the 7D. So when it comes to it get the right body for the job at the right time.

This is not based on what I've heard, I have a 5DmkII, 1DmkIII, 7D, 5D, 500D and 30D so have a little experience with them. The 5DmkII is my go to camera for most things, then sports/action I go 1DmkIII and 7D.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2011, 6:17 PM   #14

a question for NYMPHETAMINE
sorry off topic kinda
like you i too may have to decide CANON 7D vs NIKON D300S
the reviews are fairly even
nikon costs less
which camera do you think is the better one
thanks for your opinion
cheers
pete
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2011, 8:48 PM   #15

"for sports/action/wildlife the 7D kills the 5D, for portraits then the larger sensor is better to have making the 5D better. Also the high ISO on the 5D is better than the 7D. So when it comes to it get the right body for the job at the right time."

yep... get one of each!

Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering...
~ Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
squirl033 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2011, 1:08 AM   #16

Hi rienz

I have the 7D and a 350D and have shot tens of thousands of photos with each. I have also regularly used a number of 5Ds owned by various friends too.

Both the 5D and 7D are great cameras. You've already got good advice in previous posts.

I'll just add a few things. The 7D with an ultra-wide lens dedicated for APS-C (eg Sigma 8-16, Sigma 10-20, Canon 10-22, Tamron 10-24, Tokina 11-16, etc) give you a very good ultra wide perspective. (Like all lenses ,there is sample variation).

In fact, most APS-C ultrawide lenses are sharper at the corners than many full frame ultra wide lenses, even the expensive ultrawide L's. You might wish to consider that. I have a Sigma 10-20mm and get very sharp images, corner to corner, including at the 10mm setting (16mm equivalent).

You write about the 24-105mm L lens you have, and how it would perform on both. That is definitely a great lens on the 5D. However on the 7D, your go to lens would probably be the 15-85mm (I have this lens, it's sharp, contrasty and has great IS and USM focus).

I won't deny the benefit the larger sensor and more DOF control that a full frame has. Definitely 'horses for courses'. For me, the 7D is a more suitable camera compared to a 5D. I use it for a variety of shots - but my main types of photography are: landscape, macro, camps/events and wildlife.

Cheers. Hope to hear your outcome. Please let us know.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2011, 1:34 AM   #17

Quote:
a question for NYMPHETAMINE
sorry off topic kinda
like you i too may have to decide CANON 7D vs NIKON D300S
There is no direct comparison. If you have too may Canon lenses, 7D makes more sense. I for one will end up owning both the system for different reasons. I may have a FF from Canon while hold the D300S for its versatility and just for the fun of trying out a Nikon.

Nikon has features that will appeal to a photographer since i personally feel the D300 camera has all the features a photographer would like the way he wants it.

Canon 7D caught up with Nikon providing most of the features. It is too close to compare the system.

If i am starting new i may slightly tilt towards the Nikon for the current set of tools they have.

In case of FF there is no question about getting a 5D mark III, cheapers, offer better resolution and the video feature is a great add on.

Canon has the support facility and availability of lenses in the used market that Nikon cannot match. I have tried out too many lenses from Canon mainly because of the availability in the used market. From 200mm F2 to 85mm f1.2 the lenses are readilly available.

For Nikon the current availability of 70-200 or the 24-70 is not as good as the comparable canon versions.

Cost is also another factor. Nikon lenses(premium glasses) costs more than similar Canon version.

Canon has no match for the 14-24 of Nikon while Nikon has no match for the 50mm F1.2 or the 85mm f1.2.

Some of these led to my decision to own both the system.
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2011, 1:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
I know you've decided but when it comes down to it they are pretty different beasts. for landscapes it really doesn't matter as long as you have the right glass, for sports/action/wildlife the 7D kills the 5D, for portraits then the larger sensor is better to have making the 5D better. Also the high ISO on the 5D is better than the 7D. So when it comes to it get the right body for the job at the right time.

This is not based on what I've heard, I have a 5DmkII, 1DmkIII, 7D, 5D, 500D and 30D so have a little experience with them. The 5DmkII is my go to camera for most things, then sports/action I go 1DmkIII and 7D.
Hi Mark, Thank you for your reply... I've always wanted to own a FF camera and that's the reason why I gradually sold off all my APS-C lenses and started my little "collection" of L lenes ... I'm actually waiting for the release of MK III version of 5D (or its equivalent) and have been saving up for it ... but just a few days ago I got to know of a 5D for sale at US$900, so I got tempted ... as much as I'd like to own a FF camera I think I'd be a bit dissappointed with the "older" 5D especailly after using 7D with all its "bells and whistles" ... so I'll patiently wait till the 5D MKIII ... Photography is my hobby (i.e. I don't do it for a liviing) so when the MK III finally arrives I hope it won't be more then US$3000 otherwise it'll really mess up my "camera fund" and make the wife really angry.
Current Gear: Canon 7D+BG-E7 Battery Grip & 60D with EF 24-105 f/4 L IS; EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II; EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS; EF 100 f2.8 L IS; EF 50 f/1.8 II; Canon Speedlite 430 EX II; Metz 58 AF-1; Canon RC-5 Wireless Remote Controller & RS-80N3 Remote Switch; Manfrotto 190CX PRO4 with Manfrotto 322RC2 Grip Ball Head; Kenko Extension Tube Set; B+W UV & Polorizing filters
Old Feb 18, 2011, 3:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj1974 View Post
Hi rienz

I have the 7D and a 350D and have shot tens of thousands of photos with each. I have also regularly used a number of 5Ds owned by various friends too.

Both the 5D and 7D are great cameras. You've already got good advice in previous posts.

I'll just add a few things. The 7D with an ultra-wide lens dedicated for APS-C (eg Sigma 8-16, Sigma 10-20, Canon 10-22, Tamron 10-24, Tokina 11-16, etc) give you a very good ultra wide perspective. (Like all lenses ,there is sample variation).

In fact, most APS-C ultrawide lenses are sharper at the corners than many full frame ultra wide lenses, even the expensive ultrawide L's. You might wish to consider that. I have a Sigma 10-20mm and get very sharp images, corner to corner, including at the 10mm setting (16mm equivalent).

You write about the 24-105mm L lens you have, and how it would perform on both. That is definitely a great lens on the 5D. However on the 7D, your go to lens would probably be the 15-85mm (I have this lens, it's sharp, contrasty and has great IS and USM focus).

I won't deny the benefit the larger sensor and more DOF control that a full frame has. Definitely 'horses for courses'. For me, the 7D is a more suitable camera compared to a 5D. I use it for a variety of shots - but my main types of photography are: landscape, macro, camps/events and wildlife.

Cheers. Hope to hear your outcome. Please let us know.

Paul
Thank you for your reply ... over the past 4 years I did have some wide and ultra-wide zoom lenses, my first ultra-wide angle lens was the Sigma 10-20mm f.4-5.6 but I was not very happy with its sharpness and contract so I sold it and bought Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 lens (which I liked very much), I've also had Canon 17-85, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 VC etc.
When I bought the 7D I chose 15-85 as my kit lens ... but over the past one year or so I have started bulding my little L lens collection for the FF camera I'd be buying within the next year (or whenever the 5D MK III shows up) ... so I sold off all my APS-C lenes and have also made a decision to stick with only Canon L lenses. Also, the photos I took, with ultra-wide lenses, were less then two hundred ... whereas I took over 100000 photos in the 24-200mm focal length ... also I see a significant difference in the quality/clarity of the images I'm able to capture with the L lenses as opposed to non L lenses and third party lenses.
But I have a "pet" conspiracy theory about why third party lenses (generally) don't peform as well as canon/nikon dedicated lenses (I know some of you will crucify me for this but please allow me to take the liberty of saying this: I think Canon & Nikon "finger" with their software in their new cameras (and software updates) to "mess up" the behaviour of third party lenses ... I'm inclined to belive this theory because along with my my EOS 400D I had bought Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 lens and it used to work really well but the moment I updated to a new software update canon had released (I think it was to add info about some new lenses), the moment I updated the software I started ha ... ving focusing problems with all my 3 Sigma lenses (10-20mm; 17-50mm & 50-500mm) when I mentioned this to the Canon service center they asked me to check my camera using canon lenses (they even allowed me to try the EF 17-85 lens ... which worked great on my 400D) ... after this I owned Canon 450D (having same problems with Sigma lenses). After this I bought Canon 500D & Tokina 11-16mm lens but once again after a new software update tokina started developing focusing issues. But when I had 450D and Sigma 150mm Macro lens I did not have any problem (I had not performed any software updates on 450D) but the moment I paired Sigma 150mm with 500D there were focusing issues once again.
Because of my above "belief system" I have moved away from third party lenses ... hence I have decided to be a slave to the Canon lens system