Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
DXOMark puts the D7000 at 80 points and the 7D at 66.

5 points is 1/3 stop, therefore the D7000 is about 1 stop better on sensor performance. This 1-stop difference is visible in SNR at all ISO and a 1/3 to 1/2 stop improvement in DR and colour at all ISO.

Does this really matter? It rather depends on how you shoot. In most other respects though the 7D is the better camera, as you would expect from their prices.
Good info. Was this lab test performed using Canon and Nikon software?
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 1:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by aladyforty View Post
A lot of reviews Ive read on the 7D make out the noise is disgusting, is this the case?
Not at all ... at least not in any of the photos I've taken ... IMHO I think the people who say 7D has "disgusting noise" are those who pixel peep 100% crops at very high ISO's. I never use very high ISO settings and I don't see that kind of need in my photography.
Current Gear: Canon 7D+BG-E7 Battery Grip & 60D with EF 24-105 f/4 L IS; EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II; EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS; EF 100 f2.8 L IS; EF 50 f/1.8 II; Canon Speedlite 430 EX II; Metz 58 AF-1; Canon RC-5 Wireless Remote Controller & RS-80N3 Remote Switch; Manfrotto 190CX PRO4 with Manfrotto 322RC2 Grip Ball Head; Kenko Extension Tube Set; B+W UV & Polorizing filters
rienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 1:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL View Post
4. I don't know how they do it but the Canon flash system is still very finicky (been helping my Canon friends) whereas the Nikon just nail it every time!
Could you please elaborate?
Current Gear: Canon 7D+BG-E7 Battery Grip & 60D with EF 24-105 f/4 L IS; EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II; EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS; EF 100 f2.8 L IS; EF 50 f/1.8 II; Canon Speedlite 430 EX II; Metz 58 AF-1; Canon RC-5 Wireless Remote Controller & RS-80N3 Remote Switch; Manfrotto 190CX PRO4 with Manfrotto 322RC2 Grip Ball Head; Kenko Extension Tube Set; B+W UV & Polorizing filters
Old Feb 20, 2011, 2:10 PM   #14
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokachr View Post
Good info. Was this lab test performed using Canon and Nikon software?
No DXO use their own measurements. Check out the website for technical info.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 7:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
No DXO use their own measurements. Check out the website for technical info.
I did, Thanks. Pop Photo in the Feb issue came to much different conclusions on the 60D/ 7D sensor. Lab tests are simply that. I test gear on my shop bench regularly, only to find those conclusions don't always stand up to the harsh reality of the world outside.
Cheers.
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 12:12 AM   #16

Im planning to upgrade to semi-prof dslr.. stuck between 60D & D7000.
Any Help?
Cameraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 1:54 AM   #17
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokachr View Post
I did, Thanks. Pop Photo in the Feb issue came to much different conclusions on the 60D/ 7D sensor. Lab tests are simply that. I test gear on my shop bench regularly, only to find those conclusions don't always stand up to the harsh reality of the world outside.
Cheers.
DXO is the only company that actually measures sensor performance.

Pop Photo measures total IQ at the end of the imaging chain.

The rest of the imaging chain of course has a substantial impact on photo quality. Which is why you might prefer to choose (perfectly rationally) a 7D to a D7000, even though the D7000 has a superior sensor.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 2:07 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameraz View Post
Im planning to upgrade to semi-prof dslr.. stuck between 60D & D7000.
Any Help?
Oh, the agonies of decision making ... I've spent countless days pondering, wondering & squandering (time) to decide which way to go (i.e. Canon or Nikon).
Anyway, coming to your question ... D7000 is a better camera for photography then 60D (hence the price difference of around US$310).

But 60D has some cool stuff like Vari-Angle Flip-Out screen (very useful feature for self portraits, group shots, over the head shots, low down shots and for video etc). D60 also has video resolution of 1920 x 1080 at 30fps (whereas D7000 shoots video at 24fps).

D7000 has two memory card slots which gives you the option to shoot raw in one and jpeg in the other or video in one and stills in the other.(whereas 60D has only one). D7000 shoots stills at 6fps (whereas 60D at 5.3fps).

So it boils down to what is more important to you ... do you need a camera that is really great at still photos ... than go for D7000. If you need a camera for both still photos and video than go for 60D.

For out and out still photography D7000 is the way to go ... but unfortunately, the decision is not that simple, bcoz you want to consider the cost of lenses (for a particular brand) in your area ... in some places Nikon lenses cost more than Canon lenses and the opposite in some other areas. Also you want to consider how the camera feels in your hands.
Having said that, if I am a beginner, with a budget, upgrading from Point & Shoot camera to my first DSLR I'd go with 60D ... bcoz I feel 60D is easier for beginners (like quick selction, with the dial, for sports, night, macro photography etc without having to rake your brains to learn all about f stops, shutter speeds etc ... D7000 also has a mode called SCENE but after you turn the dial you still need to choose the options on the screen) ... plus I can use the extra US$310 (difference between D7000 & 60D) to invest in a better lens or an external flash etc ... but that's just me.

Happy (painful) decision making
PS. With 60D you get fantastic free software (I am told with Nikon you have to pay for it?)

Last edited by rienz; Feb 21, 2011 at 2:34 AM. Reason: forgot to add one point
Old Feb 21, 2011, 3:16 AM   #19

What you upgrading from
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 5:36 AM   #20

Quote:
The Nikon is a more photographer 'friendly' camera of the two
I will have to repeat this statement for one needs to use a Nikon to understand how easy some settings are that we very frequently use and customizing these external buttons are far easier and better in nikon.

I stick to Canon because I like them and I will only add to my current collecting a second set of body and lens rather than replacing them.

I want a FF from Canon but for anything else i want the Nikon . So i will end up with Two bodies and two different system.
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote