Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 21, 2011, 7:18 AM   #21
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rienz View Post
Could you please elaborate?
Don't get me wrong... Canon flash works just fine, but also note in this forum that more posters from Canon need help than users from the Nikon thread.

This may be anedoctal, however there's always an element of doubt when something is entirely automatic which is what the eTTL-II is even on manual. A photographer always have to 2nd guess what a camera thinks (and sometime a camera evaluation can be different than that of the user), which is why I called it finicky as I've used both:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fl...sh-fetish.html

In a Nikon system the user is allowed to control every parameters of a group even down to making a flash become manual so a photographer can remove any element of surprise. Canon system is more limited as it only allows one to do ratio and +/-EV so you're always left with some "independent" thinking from the camera:
http://www.timothyarmes.com/blog/200...flash-systems/

Last edited by NHL; Feb 21, 2011 at 7:22 AM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 8:02 AM   #22

NHL is 100% correct. Canon's flash metering is light years behind NIkon. I have been using it for well over 15 years and it has never been as good as Nikon.
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:43 AM   #23

Nikon Flashes are ages ahead of the Canon system. I repeat again, that Nikon is a tool meant purely for photographers. If not for the price and availability of its pro level lenses Nikon would be walking over Canon anyday.

Anyone who has spent enough money on a Canon system,who has tried the Nikon system will definitely appreciate what the Nikon has and will always wonder why Canon cannot provide the same or when they will provide the same.

The feedback canon gets to change its system are from canon fan boys while my gut feeling is that Nikon depends on feedback from photographers
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:43 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL View Post
Don't get me wrong... Canon flash works just fine, but also note in this forum that more posters from Canon need help than users from the Nikon thread.
That could be bcoz there are more Canon users than Nikon users on this planet
Current Gear: Canon 7D+BG-E7 Battery Grip & 60D with EF 24-105 f/4 L IS; EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II; EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS; EF 100 f2.8 L IS; EF 50 f/1.8 II; Canon Speedlite 430 EX II; Metz 58 AF-1; Canon RC-5 Wireless Remote Controller & RS-80N3 Remote Switch; Manfrotto 190CX PRO4 with Manfrotto 322RC2 Grip Ball Head; Kenko Extension Tube Set; B+W UV & Polorizing filters

Last edited by rienz; Feb 21, 2011 at 11:59 AM.
rienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:57 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymphetamine View Post
If not for the price and availability of its pro level lenses Nikon would be walking over Canon anyday.
If the availability of Nikon pro lenses is less and they are pricey, I guess it makes better sense to stick with Canon 60D and use the money saved (approx US$310) to invest in Canon pro (L) lenses, which are easily available and somewhat afforadble in comparison.
Current Gear: Canon 7D+BG-E7 Battery Grip & 60D with EF 24-105 f/4 L IS; EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II; EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS; EF 100 f2.8 L IS; EF 50 f/1.8 II; Canon Speedlite 430 EX II; Metz 58 AF-1; Canon RC-5 Wireless Remote Controller & RS-80N3 Remote Switch; Manfrotto 190CX PRO4 with Manfrotto 322RC2 Grip Ball Head; Kenko Extension Tube Set; B+W UV & Polorizing filters
Old Feb 21, 2011, 4:32 PM   #26

wow thanks for the thunderous response with a wealth of info
this will definitely clear up some queries people have between some the 7D / d7000 / 60D
cheers
happy shooting
pete
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2011, 1:10 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave01 View Post
What you upgrading from
upgrading from 550D..
Cameraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2011, 3:36 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rienz View Post
Oh, the agonies of decision making ... I've spent countless days pondering, wondering & squandering (time) to decide which way to go (i.e. Canon or Nikon).
Anyway, coming to your question ... D7000 is a better camera for photography then 60D (hence the price difference of around US$310).

But 60D has some cool stuff like Vari-Angle Flip-Out screen (very useful feature for self portraits, group shots, over the head shots, low down shots and for video etc). D60 also has video resolution of 1920 x 1080 at 30fps (whereas D7000 shoots video at 24fps).

D7000 has two memory card slots which gives you the option to shoot raw in one and jpeg in the other or video in one and stills in the other.(whereas 60D has only one). D7000 shoots stills at 6fps (whereas 60D at 5.3fps).

So it boils down to what is more important to you ... do you need a camera that is really great at still photos ... than go for D7000. If you need a camera for both still photos and video than go for 60D.

For out and out still photography D7000 is the way to go ... but unfortunately, the decision is not that simple, bcoz you want to consider the cost of lenses (for a particular brand) in your area ... in some places Nikon lenses cost more than Canon lenses and the opposite in some other areas. Also you want to consider how the camera feels in your hands.
Having said that, if I am a beginner, with a budget, upgrading from Point & Shoot camera to my first DSLR I'd go with 60D ... bcoz I feel 60D is easier for beginners (like quick selction, with the dial, for sports, night, macro photography etc without having to rake your brains to learn all about f stops, shutter speeds etc ... D7000 also has a mode called SCENE but after you turn the dial you still need to choose the options on the screen) ... plus I can use the extra US$310 (difference between D7000 & 60D) to invest in a better lens or an external flash etc ... but that's just me.

Happy (painful) decision making
PS. With 60D you get fantastic free software (I am told with Nikon you have to pay for it?)
the only advantage i see in 60D is the flip lcd screen...i think 1080p 24fps is what they use for shooting cinema... and im not much in to video...
Cameraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2011, 5:53 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameraz View Post
upgrading from 550D..
In that case you will feel very much at home with 60D as the controls are very similar with boosted features. On the other hand D7000, has superior still photo capabilites ... if you switch to Nikon you will be one of the few rare breed of people with hands on experiance with DSLR's of both systems. All the best in your decision making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameraz View Post
the only advantage i see in 60D is the flip lcd screen...i think 1080p 24fps is what they use for shooting cinema... and im not much in to video...
Yes, speaking from image capture perspective flip LCD screen is the only thing going for 60D over D7000
For video on DSLR's 24fps has more judder on image movement while pannig then on 30fps
Old Feb 22, 2011, 11:12 AM   #30
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymphetamine View Post
The feedback canon gets to change its system are from canon fan boys while my gut feeling is that Nikon depends on feedback from photographers
Another excellent example of this is the Auto ISO, feature...
Nikon get it just right - No wonder not too many Canon owners use this feature.
It's essential for wildlife when you want to control both the DOF, and just the right amount of blur in the wing tips for BIF!

-> IMO each brand has it's + or -, it'll be the day when one manufacturer can implement everything as there's always some OEM who'll try to exploit their niche. Oly for one I love it too... And my wallet is about to open

Last edited by NHL; Feb 22, 2011 at 11:19 AM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote