Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 23, 2011, 11:39 PM   #31

I will keep it simple....I own a Canon 1D Mark II, Rebel T2i, Rebel XTi and a Nikon D7000. I also borrowed a friends 7D and 60D for about two weeks. The worse of the lot was the 60D because the buttons are not very responsive and difficult to manage for me(although the pop out screen was nice). I like the T2i because it is small and I loved the location of the ISO button. The best of the lot is the D7000. It handles well and and is a good size. The only problem I have with it is that my hand keep rubbing off a small piece of rubber near the bottom of the camera. I am guessing it has something to do with the hand grip that I do not own. All the cameras take excellent photos in just about every situation.... I have been looking closely at the Pentax K-5...it looks like a gem.
mfgriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2011, 1:14 AM   #32
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL View Post
Another excellent example of this is the Auto ISO, feature...
Nikon get it just right - No wonder not too many Canon owners use this feature.
It's essential for wildlife when you want to control both the DOF, and just the right amount of blur in the wing tips for BIF!

-> IMO each brand has it's + or -, it'll be the day when one manufacturer can implement everything as there's always some OEM who'll try to exploit their niche. Oly for one I love it too... And my wallet is about to open
I was very excited about Canon's auto-ISO when I got the 5D2, but it cannot adjust its parameters. So it's 1/FL for shutter speed, which is fine for IS lenses but too slow for primes, with 22Mp and no IS I need 1/2xFL.

If I was starting from scratch I would be very tempted by an A900 and the Zeiss zooms; I love the Zeiss look!
Old Feb 26, 2011, 10:12 AM   #33

NHL....Could you please elaborate on the problem you mentioned with Canon's Auto ISO feature? How is Nikon's better?
Old Feb 27, 2011, 6:49 AM   #34
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfgriggs View Post
NHL....Could you please elaborate on the problem you mentioned with Canon's Auto ISO feature? How is Nikon's better?
Sure - You can not bind Auto ISO on the 7D and 5D2 with any limit, It run open loop (almost like in its flashes design) worse there's no Auto ISO in manual on the 5D2 which is the mode where this feature is the most useful (even better when combined with +/-EV).

-> It's not that they can't do it as the 1D MrkIV finally get it right (see page 65 of the manual), but unlike a mid-range Nikon it's priced out of reach of most photographers
Old Feb 27, 2011, 6:51 AM   #35
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
If I was starting from scratch I would be very tempted by an A900 and the Zeiss zooms; I love the Zeiss look!
I'm just teasing you:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...735-henna.html
Old Feb 27, 2011, 7:02 AM   #36

dxo test results are a nice to know info. But since it is all raw, it comes down to if one processing works better for one sensor then another sensor. So do not hedge your bet on the dxo results.

Look that the real world performance of the the 2 camera, d7000 gives you 6fps, but you will only get about 2.5 sec of burst before it slows down do to buffer lag in large jpeg, even faster in raw. The will bang aways at 8fps to almost 100 shots before shutter lag in large jpeg.

AF the 7D is far better. There is no comparison. As the d7000 is not as good as the 60D even.

HD the 7D shoots better still as canon has more experience dslr HD.

The 7D is a full weather sealed body, with a all metal skin. The d7000 is only a partial metal skin as part of it is still plastic, and is not as weather seal as the 7D.

These are some of the big differences.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:21 AM   #37

NHL..... Thanks for the reply. I was a little confused by your ISO comment because I did not use it when I was playing around with the 7D. However, I use it quite a bit on the T2i. The parameters are set via a menu setting, but can be turned off and on via dedicated ISO button near the shutter release button. When you press the ISO button on the T2i you can choose a particular ISO speed or auto. The only thing I don't like about the D7000 is the location of the ISO button and the fact that auto ISO must be turned on and off via a menu item. Granted the T2i is not built nearly as well as the 7D or the D7000, but it may be an indication of good things in future releases of canon products.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 4:36 PM   #38
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfgriggs View Post
... However, I use it quite a bit on the T2i. The parameters are set via a menu setting, but can be turned off and on via dedicated ISO button near the shutter release button. When you press the ISO button on the T2i you can choose a particular ISO speed or auto...
I just check the T2i manual: http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/9/030000...550d-im-en.pdf

You can only restrict it's ISO range, but you still can not set the camera minimum shutter speed! This will just make the T2i operate in a narrower range of ISO that's it...
-> Try it on your D7000, on manual the camera will slide the shutter or aperture once the ISO range has been exceeded by your set parameter up to the minimum shutter speed - This will make the Auto-ISO function much more useful.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 1:48 AM   #39
Super Moderator

I sort of understand why Canon set up the Auto-ISO to work as they did, but as it stands I find it basically useless.

The two big failings for me are that it doesn't work in M mode, and that you cannot set a minimum shutter speed. This effectively makes it useless.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 9:44 AM   #40

NHL ... Ah....I see what you mean.....Thanks for the info, I learned something today.