Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 18, 2011, 9:45 PM   #1

Default Canon 7D vs Nikon D7000

hello canon-eers
any comments of how these 2 cameras compare against each other
nothing overly technical but if you have both or if you have one and a buddy another it would be nice to know how these 2 top dogs pit against each other
besides i would like to make a choice myself between one or the other
thank you in advance for your comments
and if your canadian
enjoy family day
take some portraits
click click
pete
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2011, 1:23 AM   #2

I have the Canon 7D and can go on singing great praises about its performance ... just yesterday I was on a full day field trip in the desert with a Geological Society and luckily happened to see one of the members with the Nikon D7000 (with 18-105 DX VR lens mounted on it) ... so I requested him to have a feel of the camera and he obliged. I clicked exactly 10 shots ... I liked the responsiveness of the camera but I felt the (18-105) lens was a big let down for such a camera like D7000 ... but despite the lens I thought the camera performed very well ... it was quick and very responsive (but, I felt, it is not as fast as 7D). I felt the D7000 body was a bit smaller & lighter then 7D.
I noticed D7000 has two SD card slots ... I was told that you can shoot video in one and stills in the orther or JPEG in one and Raw in the other etc ... I thought that was really neat.

Having said that Canon 7D & Nikon D7000 are not exactly "rivals" ... D7000 is sandwiched between Canon 60D & 7D ... so I would say 60D is more of a closer rivals ... also 7D shooots at 8 fps while D7000 at 6fps
7D, 60 & 600D shoot 1920x1080 video at 30p, whereas D7000 does it only at 24p (this is only important if you want to use it for video).
When it comes to action and responsiveness ... with my very limited knowledge, I feel, D7000 is more closer to 60D then 7D

Call me vain but I like my gear to look "cool" & modern ... so in that respect D7000 looks are "out of fashion" (I am only talking about how it looks), whereas the 60D looks really "cool" especailly with its flip screen lcd.
If video and "cool" quotient are not important to you I think D7000 is better then 60D ... but IMHO 7D is way better then D7000.

You wanted "nothing overly technical" so I'm keeping it that way (that's bcoz I am incapable of any technical advice). But if you need some, not overly technical, but still very good advice, check out the D7000 review by kenrockwell.

If given the opportunity to choose between 7D & D7000, I'll still go with the 7D ... also price difference is not much (around US$280) ... so I'd pay the extra 250 and get the 7D any day ... in fact I'd choose 60D over D7000 (that is mainly because 60D costs US$ 310 less then D7000 and looks a lot cooler).
Current Gear: Canon 7D+BG-E7 Battery Grip & 60D with EF 24-105 f/4 L IS; EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II; EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS; EF 100 f2.8 L IS; EF 50 f/1.8 II; Canon Speedlite 430 EX II; Metz 58 AF-1; Canon RC-5 Wireless Remote Controller & RS-80N3 Remote Switch; Manfrotto 190CX PRO4 with Manfrotto 322RC2 Grip Ball Head; Kenko Extension Tube Set; B+W UV & Polorizing filters
rienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2011, 6:54 PM   #3

I would have to agree with rienz, the 7D is a higher level of camera than the D7000. The latest issue of Pop Photo has a well done test of the D7000 and the 60D. The 60D wins out in most every area. I have 7D's and one of my buddies has a D7000, so I have had a hands on with the D7000. It is a fine quality product, the D7000, but a different class of camera. It feels small and somewhat fragile in comparison to the 7D, but then so does the 60D. The image quality is very very good, but I still prefer the higher rez and lower noise I have seen in my 7D images compared to those of my friends D7000.
I like the D7000 very much, but I'll be keeping my 7D's.
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 5:54 AM   #4
Super Moderator

7D is a better camera but the D7000 has a better sensor by some margin.

For that matter the same thing could be said about the 7D vs 5D2.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 9:00 AM   #5

A lot of reviews Ive read on the 7D make out the noise is disgusting, is this the case?
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 9:01 AM   #6
NHL

While I agree with everything posted so far, I would add several comments:

1. The Nikon is a more photographer 'friendly' camera of the two: i.e. what I meant by this is its dials/functions can be customized or re-assigned by the user. This is only important when you have two bodies of different brands as the shutter/aperture dials are not in the same position (front vs rear) or their rotation (increase vs decrease)... or when adjusting +/-EV compensation
-> A Nikon can be made to behave like a Canon (which I did), but not vice versa... Too bad one can't do this with the zoom ring or the lens mount - yet LOL!

2. If you're into geo-tagging your images, the Canon is still a pain to add this feature: Add a wireless LAN (extra weight, size, its own battery and costly) and a USB enabled device (still more weight, cumbersome setup, and even more cost).

3. Intervalometer built-in to the Nikon. I only used this feature twice last year but I'm glad it's there and not having to buy another accessory or tether it to a laptop with a Canon.

4. I don't know how they do it but the Canon flash system is still very finicky (been helping my Canon friends) whereas the Nikon just nail it every time!

Last edited by NHL; Feb 20, 2011 at 9:18 AM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 9:23 AM   #7

NHL, Canon DOES allow you to re-assign dials and functions. I have done this on my 7D's. Custom Function IV: Operation/Others, Custom Controls.
Why would I want to make my Canon behave like a Nikon? If I wanted my Canon to behave like a Nikon I would trade it in for a Nikon.
Geo-Tagging, I would use it if it were built in, but it's not something I find a huge need for.
Intervalometer, I could use. But I'm not changing systems for a feature I would use about as often as a fisheye lens.
Flash metering is a huge advantage that Nikon has had for many many years. I do wish Canon would dump it's ETTL system and catch up with Nikon in this area.
Aladyforty, noise has rarely been an issue with the 7D's I own. Disgusting? Not in any way shape or form.
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 10:37 AM   #8
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokachr View Post
Why would I want to make my Canon behave like a Nikon? If I wanted my Canon to behave like a Nikon I would trade it in for a Nikon.
This is why I say it is important when you have multiple bodies as I do this all the times when I shoot with different bodies/lens combination (save me from changing the lens) - For example:
1. 500 f/4 on the Canon and Bigma on the Nikon outdoor chasing wildlife
2. 24-70 on Sony and super-wide(or prime) on the Nikon when indoor/studio
-> All the controls are where they supposed to be regardless of brand when I switch camera
(I just don't like the Canon's rear wheel placement, why don't they keep it on top like other cameras? as you keep thumbing your face when actuating it)

For me GPS data is essential as I travel over the different continents... This function should really be built-in to the camera like some Sony's. It make sorting by places one some Apple devices really cool!

Last edited by NHL; Feb 20, 2011 at 10:53 AM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:02 AM   #9
Super Moderator

DXOMark puts the D7000 at 80 points and the 7D at 66.

5 points is 1/3 stop, therefore the D7000 is about 1 stop better on sensor performance. This 1-stop difference is visible in SNR at all ISO and a 1/3 to 1/2 stop improvement in DR and colour at all ISO.

Does this really matter? It rather depends on how you shoot. In most other respects though the 7D is the better camera, as you would expect from their prices.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:35 AM   #10

That is a feature I've been bugging for, for a long time, It really can be very usefull.
Even if they did not build it into the camera but offered it as a snap on module, say as part of tthe battery grip that you seem to HAVE to buy if it is available for your body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL View Post
TFor me GPS data is essential as I travel over the different continents... This function should really be built-in to the camera like some Sony's. It make sorting by places one some Apple devices really cool!