Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 20, 2011, 2:24 AM   #1

Default couple of dumb questions most likely

I realise that in camera noise reduction only works with jpegs on my 50D however I was just wondering do all the other settings get picked up in DPP such as highlight tone priority, auto lighting optimise etc. For that matter if I applied the noise reduction in the camera settings would DPP pick up the camera info and apply to the RAW photo the way it picks up pictures styles? I ask this because my friend has a 5D2 and claims that she set the noise reduction and says it works in RAW. I'm not so sure
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2011, 2:57 AM   #2

As I understand it, those settings don't apply to the RAW file, but are saved with the RAW data and are used by DPP when you open the RAW file. If you open the RAW file with another image editor (i.e.: Photoshop, Lightroom, etc.) that doesn't happen.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 4:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
As I understand it, those settings don't apply to the RAW file, but are saved with the RAW data and are used by DPP when you open the RAW file. If you open the RAW file with another image editor (i.e.: Photoshop, Lightroom, etc.) that doesn't happen.
so I guess she is right then, if you open in DPP it will apply the noise setting, maybe save me going through and doing them all
Old Feb 20, 2011, 5:46 AM   #4
Super Moderator

No really she has it wrong.

In camera NR settings are only applied at the point where the RAW file is processed. So yes the camera settings are written into the file for use in DPP, but very few people use DPP to convert the RAW data into other formats. And even for those who do, it's only a default setting that goes with the image, not something that cannot be overwritten during processing.

By all means choose a setting in camera that corresponds to your default.

Of course programs like Lightroom allow you to have default settings for different ISO values and apply NR and sharpening accordingly.

If your aim is to save time and effort in post processing the best thing you can do is ditch DPP.

Last edited by peripatetic; Feb 20, 2011 at 5:51 AM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 8:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
No really she has it wrong.

In camera NR settings are only applied at the point where the RAW file is processed. So yes the camera settings are written into the file for use in DPP, but very few people use DPP to convert the RAW data into other formats. And even for those who do, it's only a default setting that goes with the image, not something that cannot be overwritten during processing.

By all means choose a setting in camera that corresponds to your default.

Of course programs like Lightroom allow you to have default settings for different ISO values and apply NR and sharpening accordingly.

If your aim is to save time and effort in post processing the best thing you can do is ditch DPP.
so if she uses DPP she is technically correct, the in camera noise reduction is applied to her raw image in the programme when she opens them and converts them?
Old Feb 20, 2011, 10:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aladyforty View Post
so if she uses DPP she is technically correct, the in camera noise reduction is applied to her raw image in the programme when she opens them and converts them?
Not exactly. When she opens the RAW files in DPP, DPP knows to apply its NR and other settings. The camera's settings aren't applied to the image until it's opened in DPP. So it's not the camera's noise reduction that's applied, it's DPP's noise reduction that's applied by default because DPP is going with the camera's settings, but not the camera's efforts.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:06 AM   #7
Super Moderator

DPP probably does better than the in-camera conversion, as it has a much more powerful processor and more time at its disposal.

And she's technically incorrect, though it may not make much difference seeing as how she is using DPP.

If you are not using DPP then the camera settings are completely irrelevant.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 1:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
DPP probably does better than the in-camera conversion, as it has a much more powerful processor and more time at its disposal.

And she's technically incorrect, though it may not make much difference seeing as how she is using DPP.

If you are not using DPP then the camera settings are completely irrelevant.
Thanks, I will let her know because I'm sure she uses light-room to batch process. For the record I just tried it out on my camera and all it seems to do is make the photos look less detailed, I think I will do it myself in post processing as I have always done
Old Feb 21, 2011, 2:48 AM   #9
Super Moderator

If she's using LR then the in-camera settings are completely and totally irrelevant.