Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 2, 2004, 12:04 PM   #1

Default Acceptable ISO 100 1600?

What ISO do you all use?
how often do you use ISO 1600?
How do you like pictures you have seen from noise ninja or neat image?

Over Christmas I was taking family pictures.
I haven't purchased a flash yet and do not like the internal flash.
I took most pictures at ISO 1600 for the fast shutter speed.
I know purchasing a flash is the correct answer but I enjoyed shooting without a flash. It seems a little more candid and non intrusive. I like not blinding people . is ISO 1 f-stop different then ISO 800 or two? . Anyway what speeds do you guys use and when do you feel noise is a problem?

Thanks again
Blaine
iblaineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2004, 12:33 PM   #2

Each ISO step is considered one F/stop. 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200.

I shoot with my ISO setting as low as the lighting allows, typically 100-200 occasionally going to 400 for low light conditions. I'd rather not have the grain(noise) than have to remove it later.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2004, 6:56 PM   #3
-jb

I shoot at the lowest ISO possible, but...

I recently shot an outdoor ballet at night with ISO 1600 and reduced the noise with Neat Image. I was happy with the results. I was too far away to use flash, and flash would have probably washed out the main lighting anyway.

-jb
-jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2004, 8:37 PM   #4

Yeah I use 100 if possibly, 200 if I would like the faster shutter then normal, 400 if I need the shot in overcast weather, etc. Anything higher then that, I dont expect fantastic results, but occasionally Ill shoot with 800 (which the 10D does a great gob not falling apart at that ISO). But I will use neat image if I like the photograph.

(100-200 ISO is my setting) 400 if its a must.
UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2004, 8:40 PM   #5

Sometimes, we do what we have to do to get the shot
Old Jan 3, 2004, 8:19 PM   #6

I will occasionally use 800ISO when I have no choice. I try to stay at 100 or 200.

I do have a 550EX, and I used it when the subject is close... but I often use flash compensation to lower the flash power so the flash shadows aren't as bad. Just to fill it in some and get a catch light in the eyes.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2004, 9:45 PM   #7

I think it is not so much a question of wanting to use high iso but have to use higher iso. In north west Europe a camera without iso 400 is useless on cloudy winter days, even iso 800 may be needed.

It all depends on location, shutterspeed and apperture.

One can get good results even with iso 3200, provided the subject is bright enough lighted and shutterspeed is faster than 1/30.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2004, 12:41 PM   #8

I dont want to steal this thread, but I am also wondering exactly what kind of shutter speeds i could expect with ISO1600, say at a play with a telephoto lens?

Also, in several reviews of the Digital Rebel, reviewers have praised the DRs ability to produce relitivly good image quality even at higher ISO settings (1600). Obviously there is more noise but has anybody used the DR with high ISO and notice high image quality when compared to other lower end cameras? (I ask because I am upgrading from a G3).

Thanks
shoelessone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2004, 2:58 PM   #9

Unfortunately, it all depends on how much light there is.

I doubt this helps, but I often shoot at 800ISO in the last 10 minutes of a sunset and get around 1/350'th or maybe a little slower.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2004, 3:52 PM   #10

Shoelessone. There are 3 elements that determine exposure: shutter speed, film speed, and aperature. They all work together to reach the proper exposure. If you increase one value, it changes the value of the others. Film speed (ISO) is typically the static element of the triangle. The user sets his film speed (with digital, it is possible to set it on the fly which gives a significant advantage). Let's assume that the user sets it to 1600 for just the event you're speaking of. Now the user has two vairables to determine that the proper exposure is attained. Assuming that you have enough available light at that ISO, the camera's automatic exposure takes over and balances the shutter speed and the aperature (Program/auto mode). The results may or may not be what you have in mind. Suppose you are hand holding the camera and the auto exposure picks f/16 at 1 sec. Guess what? BLUR! So, you take control of the camera and place it in Tv mode (shutter priority) so that you can hold the camera steady with 1/60 sec chosen and allow the camera to choose the corresponding aperature (let's assume that it gives you an aperature of 4). Alternatively, if you have a tripod available, you can choose an aperature that will give you a greater depth of field.

As you see, your question gets quite involved and I still didn't answer it. One of the things that I strongly advise you to do when you get your camera is to read up on exposure and camera meters. It is complex at first, but once you grasp the fundamentals it is quite simple and will make a world of difference in your photography.

BTW, the number I have seen for a stage setting at IS0 400 and aperature of f/8 will give a shutter speed of 1/4 sec. ISO 1600 is 2 stops, so if you add 2 stops to the shutter speed, you would get 1/15 sec at f/8.

edit: man, I just reread that and confused myself :lol: