Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 2, 2004, 1:59 PM   #1

Default flash options on digital rebel 300

i'm used to the canon s50 and sony 707, and on both you can choose whether flash should be on or off in any mode--aperture priority, shutter priority, macro, whatever.

But with the digital rebel it seems there is only one position to cancel the flash, and if you are in that position then you can't be in macro or shutter priority or whatever. When you are in the cancel flash mode, is the camera fully on auto? Will flash go off when I'm doing night shots and don't want it to go off? Can I turn off the flash when I'm in macro? Can I force the flash to fire when I'm shooting in daylight, for ex, when it is snowing and I want the flash to capture the flakes? All these options exist on my two other cameras noted above.

Otherwise, I LOVE the digital rebel's images.
Thanks.
mdanoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2004, 2:39 PM   #2

Anytime you're in any of the basic modes (those with the pictures) except the flash off mode, the popup flash will popup (unless an external flash is installed) and fire if the camera determines you do not have enough available light(except "flash off" mode). When in P, Av, Tv, M, or Dep mode, you must either manually popup the flash for use or install an external flash. The "creative" modes allow you to take more control of your camera and allow you to make decisions rather than relying solely on the camera to make those decisions. IMO, the basic modes are OK for some quick shots or special cases, but you will enjoy your camera and results much more once you take control of your camera.

Recommended reading for flash http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2004, 7:25 PM   #3

Default Very helpful!

Thanks so much. And so when I'm in aperture priority or shutter or whatever, it sounds like the flash will not fire unless I manually pop up the flash--didn't know this, and just don't recall seeing it in the memo. Likewise, I'll try to see if when, I'm in one of the creative modes, I can force the flash (like when it is snowing in the day). And, thanks also for the terrific link. You were very helpful!

Mike
Old Jan 2, 2004, 8:29 PM   #4

One of the things that I've discovered about Canon's ETTL is that you really have to pay attention to where your focus point is. ETTL will meter off the subject and the subject is defined as which focus point registers. In P mode, the camera is ususally forced to the widest aperature giving you a fairly shallow depth of field. In Av and Tv, the flash acts like fill flash. This can be a problem in Av mode because you might end up with a slow shutter speed and unsharp pictures. I have found it best to use M mode, selecting the shutter speed and aperature that I want and then letting the ETTL do its thing.

Digital film is cheap -- experiment!
Old Jan 3, 2004, 9:09 AM   #5

Thanks for the tip. I had been having some focus problems.
Have a wonderful 2004.
Mike
Old Jan 3, 2004, 10:17 AM   #6

The DR has those 7 focus points. Unless you choose which one yourself, the camera will make its own mind up about what you're trying to focus on. This is often NOT what you had in mind. My advice is to use one of the points that is directly over your desired focus point as outlined in the manual.

cheers