Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 27, 2011, 5:52 AM   #1

Default 7d & First Lens

Have decided to by my first D SLR and have chosen the 7D. Always have been of the train of thought that you buy above what you think you need. Nothing worse than buying something and further down the track realizing that you should have bought that better whatever and now have to upgrade - expensive or put up with what you have - frustrating. So now the question, which would be my best choice for a first lens. We are into ballroom dancing and our first grandchild arrived last Oct, and another wedding looks eminent. So low light with movement and portrait shots to begin with. Will also be using the video to shoot ourselves from a tripod at lessons so we can critique ourselves at home. Only want to by one lens at a time as learning to drive the camera will be a big enough learning curve in itself and am only interested in Canon (totally and unashamedly biased!!!) Any educated input would be greatly appreciated. PS. Does anyone here in Australia have any experience with Techrific in Melbourne.(great prices) I am in Cairns - Queensland.
Troppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2011, 6:04 AM   #2

indoor ballroom dancing with marginal lighting a big aperture lens would help out, with USM. Something like the 85 1.8 if you are father away, or the 50 1.4 if you are closer. The kit lens if you got it is not that fast to AF. And the smaller aperture will give you a problem with motion blur even at 3200iso.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 6:28 AM   #3

Have not purchased anything yet but will be buying a body only with my choice of lens. From what I have studied over the last month or so I am leaning heavily towards the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM. Could i do any better for the same price? Will be definitely be buying at least a good wide angle and larger zoom later on and possibly a macro for flowers (green thumbed wife)
Old Feb 27, 2011, 6:30 AM   #4
NHL

Photography is all about capturing light, and people tend to forget this and use their camera in the dark...
-> Your best option is to get some flashes and start to practice using them as fast lens only get you into trouble for this sort of things:

1. At wide aperture you have no Depht Of Field (DOF) so the lens might not work as expected when you finally captured the images, especially weddings where you might need more than a few person in focus

2. You are getting even into more trouble with video ballroom dancing, as the shallow DOF will have problem with keeping subjects moving in and out of focus

BTW love Cairns: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/tr...se-cairns.html
Old Feb 27, 2011, 6:35 AM   #5

well with photography indoor dance, flash sometimes is frowned on. And you really have no option but big aperture with high iso. I shoot swing dancing allot, and allot of the dancers complain when flashes are used. So that is a big concern base on the what you are shooting with the flash.

Weddings people except flashes to be going off, and that would be one of the things I would invest in if you are going to shoot weddings and party. Something like the canon 580 exII, nissin di866 or metz 58 AF2 on the high end, or the canon 430 exII, metz 50 or nissin di622 on the mid end.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 2:42 PM   #6

All of our dancing is social at this stage and we have a very friendly club with about 70 people attending each dance. Flash would not be a problem and most shots would be taken within 7 metres. Always planned on getting the 580EXII at some time so sooner maybe better than later. If I can get away without flash that would be great, but if I can't theres some more learning installed for me !!!
Old Feb 27, 2011, 2:47 PM   #7

get the nissin di866 or the metz 58 AF-2 much friendlier user interface.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 3:29 PM   #8
Super Moderator

For your first lens, you should definitely get the 17-55 f2.8.

It's the best lens for the 7D you can buy, and if you can afford it and think it's best to buy above what you may need then go for it.

I agree by the way. Get the best you can reasonably afford, it stops you from blaming your equipment for crummy pictures and allows you to concentrate on your skills secure in the knowledge that your equipment is not the limiting factor.

You should also get a good flash.