Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 27, 2011, 1:13 PM   #1

Default Canon T1i showing shadowing in pics

Hello all. I am new to this forum so pleas direct me to a previous post if this topic has been discussed previously. I got a Canon T1i for in December and I love the camera. The only problem I have found is that on indoor pictures (especially at night) I tend to get a shadowing effect in the lower left portion of the picture. I took 4 pictures last night and in 3 there was no shadow but in the other there was. All the pics were taken on the same setting. I am a newbie with the SLR camera so any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
drgordon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2011, 1:38 PM   #2
Administrator

It could be a shadow from your lens or lens hood. That's pretty common when using a built in flash (as some lenses and lens hoods can block part of the light from the flash). With some zoom lenses, the physical length can increase with focal length when you zoom in or out (which may be why you didn't see it in all photos).

For better responses, you may want to attach a sample image.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...oto-forum.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 3:56 PM   #3

I am going to post a few pics so you can see what I mean...but, it keeps giving me an error when I try to upload them...any advice?
Old Feb 27, 2011, 4:09 PM   #4
Administrator

They're probably just too large. When you use the attachments feature (paperclip icon), you'll see the maximum sizes supported by the forums on the screen that comes up. The longest side should be 1024 pixels or less, and the file size should be no larger than 253.9KB (260,000 bytes).

The forums software will attempt to downsize them and recompress them for you if you exceed the maximum allowed sizes (although it will strip out the EXIF info that way). But, if you're seeing an error, they're probably too large for our algorithms to handle it. So, I'd downsize them first.

One free tool you can use for that purpose is Irfanview. Get it here:

http://www.irfanview.com

With Irfanview,after you open an image (File>Open), select "Image>Resize/Resample" and make the width around 640 to 800 pixels wide for posting (or a little larger, as long as it does not exceed 1024 pixels).

Leave the Preserve Aspect Ratio box checked. I use the Lanczos algorithm choice for resizing (you'll see a drop down list of choices). After you set the new size (I'd probably go with 800 pixels on the longest side, but it can be no larger than 1024 pixels for uploading to prevent the EXIF from being stripped out when you attach it to a post), click OK.

Then use the "File>Save As" menu choice and give it a new filename (so you don't overwrite your original), selecting jpg as the file type.

I'd set the Quality slider you see come up at around 80% to keep the file size within limits. It will need to be no larger than 260,000 bytes (253.9KB) to prevent the forums software from modifying it, which will cause the EXIF to be stripped out.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 10:19 PM   #5

Ok, so I attached a couple of pics where this shadowing happened. Let me know what you think.
Attached Images

Old Feb 27, 2011, 10:30 PM   #6

Which lens where you using, and where you using a hood.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 1:23 AM   #7

something stuck in there... the shape of the shadow looks the same.
idenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 2:42 AM   #8

I think you were using the lens hood and the on-camera flash, and that the lens hood was blocking the flash.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 3:13 AM   #9

Agreed...!

Take the hood off for nightime/indoor flash shooting... You don't need it unless you're
shooting outside in sunlight...

D7k with old/new glass and a few other things...
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 9:24 AM   #10

The mystery continues as I was NOT using a hood. I am using the EF S 18-55mm lens that came with the camera.