Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 3, 2011, 7:23 PM   #1

Default kinda loud noice on 5d MkII

Has anyone who has a 5d MkII have it make loud shutter clicks. i have the 50mm 1.4 and i guess with the 7d it seams smoother and quieter. but on the 5d it really sounds loud and hard.. could i have a bad camera. or does all 5d's do this..
lonefeather93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2011, 7:49 PM   #2

It is very difficult to answer a question like this because what is loud to one person may not be loud to another. It's highly subjective. The lens (you mentioned one) has nothing to do with this noise, as the mechanism is in the camera body itself.

All normal SLR cameras (digital or not) make some kind of noise when the mechanical mirror mechanism flips up and out of the way. Some are a bit quieter than others, though.

My 5dMKII is only loud (to me) when I am trying to be quiet (like in a church or ceremony of some kind) and want to avoid attention. (They even have sound deadening camera muffs/jackets available, BTW).

To my 62 year old ears, my 5dMKII sounds no louder than the 7D, but I suppose it could be a tad bit louder since it is a slightly larger mirror that is being flipped out of the way in a full-frame camera versus the 7d crop's somewhat smaller mirror. The only truly easy way to find out for sure is to take your camera to a camera store or friend with the same or similar cameras and fire them side by side while you listen.

So, without hearing your camera myself, I would be hard pressed to give you an accurate answer other than to state, yes, all dSLRs that flip the mirror are "loud", especially when you are trying to not attract attention in some kind of quiet situation or ceremony!

Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited by hgernhardtjr; Mar 3, 2011 at 7:52 PM.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2011, 11:08 PM   #3

I have a 5D (Classic) and a 7D. The mirrors make completely different sounds, as you would expect when you see their relative sizes. The 7D produces a gentle click; the 5D makes a much more solid noise.

The mirror on the 5D is 2.5 times the size of the 7D one, and weighs commensurately more.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 11:15 PM   #4

ok.. thanks.. it just made me alittle nervious. the amount that we spend on these toys for us. and when it makes a crazy loud sound that we are not use to.. we flip out some..

but thank you .
lonefeather93 is offline   Reply With Quote