Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 7, 2011, 5:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
the 5d was and still is a very capable machine. it holds up rather well still in the image quality department.

the biggest drawback i would see is compared to modern dslrs it lacks the higher iso options, it goes to 1600 (and 3200 from expansion). and it lacks any kind of sensor cleaning mechanism, as you have seen.

but for the price it is a nice way to make use of full frames greater dof control and the ability to use your full frame lenses at their intended points of view.

edit: as for the 13.3 vs 12.8. the 13.3 is the total pixels on the sensor, whereas the 12.8 is number actually used or effective mp
Yes will be a bargain, as for cleaning, I have to clean my 40D and 50D even though they have sensor clean and do the wet sensor clean myself with no problems, so that should not be an issue.

I down loaded the 5D photos at high ISO from steves digicams review of the camera and was amazed at how good 1600iso is compared to the same on my 50D so I don't think the high ISO is going to be a problem for me. I'm looking forward to seeing how the lenses I already have go with a full frame camera. I'm keeping my 50D for wildlife and action stuff so I think I will have the best of both formats at a cheap price because i only got the 50D last September brand new under $1000. so for under $1800.00 I have two quite capable camera bodies
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2011, 6:43 PM   #12

Congrats. you will be happy.
lonefeather93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2011, 7:37 PM   #13

Depends if you want gadgets or good photos. The 5DC is more labour intensive than your 50D and of course doesn't go anywhere near as high in ISO as the 5D2 does. But I think you'll find IQ from the 5DC will blow the 50D away, and I've now read too many times not to believe it that in poor light IQ from the 5DC is better than from the 5D2.

Lots of cameras trumpet higher ISO than the 5DC offers, but I routinely use ISO 1600 without a second thought, and 3200 is very usable with a minimum of cleaning up. Much better than many newer cameras which ostensibly go to higher ISOs.

I have a wedding coming up. I expect I'll be using my 5DC as primary camera with my 7D as backup, not the other way around. That should tell you something.

If you do buy a 5DC though, make sure you buy some Sensor Swabs of the right size at the same time. You'll be needing to use them! You'll also learn when not to change lenses.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 10:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbj7 View Post
Depends if you want gadgets or good photos. The 5DC is more labour intensive than your 50D and of course doesn't go anywhere near as high in ISO as the 5D2 does. But I think you'll find IQ from the 5DC will blow the 50D away, and I've now read too many times not to believe it that in poor light IQ from the 5DC is better than from the 5D2.

Lots of cameras trumpet higher ISO than the 5DC offers, but I routinely use ISO 1600 without a second thought, and 3200 is very usable with a minimum of cleaning up. Much better than many newer cameras which ostensibly go to higher ISOs.

I have a wedding coming up. I expect I'll be using my 5DC as primary camera with my 7D as backup, not the other way around. That should tell you something.

If you do buy a 5DC though, make sure you buy some Sensor Swabs of the right size at the same time. You'll be needing to use them! You'll also learn when not to change lenses.

Thanks, I had the 30D and that was a dust magnet, I coped. The 5D is on the way. I dont know how long it takes from USA to australia but Im looking forwrd to it
Old Mar 10, 2011, 2:39 AM   #15
Super Moderator

Congrats AJ, I'm sure you will love it. I loved mine.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 7:05 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
Congrats AJ, I'm sure you will love it. I loved mine.
Thanks, least I know its been well cared for (was Donnas a life in focus) just going to get a battery grip from hong kong for it and it will be all good
Old Mar 10, 2011, 7:56 AM   #17
Super Moderator

Oh great. I'm sure Donna looked after it very well.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 5:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by aladyforty View Post
Also can someone explain why its advertised with two different mega-pixel sizes, some say 12.8 and others say 13.3 so which is it?
the 5D sensor is actually 13.3Mp, but only 12.8 are "effective". it's fairly common for cameras to be rated according to "effective pixels". effective pixels refers to the number of pixels on the sensor that fit within the image circle of the lens. because image circles are... well, circles, and the sensors are rectangular, some of the pixels in the corners of the sensor don't get used. the 5D is 12.8 effective pixels.

you made a good choice. as Hards80 pointed out, the 5D "classic" is still a very well-regarded camera, with image quality that's still as good as anything else in its class, even 6 years after its introduction. that's saying something! it doesn't have the fancy bells and whistles, but if you don't mind cleaning the sensor now and then, and aren't terribly worried about shooting at super-high ISO or fast frame rates, it's still a fabulous tool. and at the prices you can get one for these days, it's a real bargain!

Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering...
~ Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com

Last edited by squirl033; Mar 14, 2011 at 5:36 PM.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:21 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirl033 View Post
the 5D sensor is actually 13.3Mp, but only 12.8 are "effective". it's fairly common for cameras to be rated according to "effective pixels". effective pixels refers to the number of pixels on the sensor that fit within the image circle of the lens. because image circles are... well, circles, and the sensors are rectangular, some of the pixels in the corners of the sensor don't get used. the 5D is 12.8 effective pixels.

you made a good choice. as Hards80 pointed out, the 5D "classic" is still a very well-regarded camera, with image quality that's still as good as anything else in its class, even 6 years after its introduction. that's saying something! it doesn't have the fancy bells and whistles, but if you don't mind cleaning the sensor now and then, and aren't terribly worried about shooting at super-high ISO or fast frame rates, it's still a fabulous tool. and at the prices you can get one for these days, it's a real bargain!
thanks, just wish it would hurry up and arrive, seems to be taking forever
Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:24 AM   #20
Super Moderator

Haha, that's what you get for living on the wrong side of the planet. :P