Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 19, 2011, 9:27 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
Haha, that's what you get for living on the wrong side of the planet. :P
yes but the problem is the tracking number only shows when it left USA (12th march their time but would be 13th in our time) hoping to see it next week, we don't get deliveries on weekends, just hoping it has to be signed for. hate stuff being left on the doorstep
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2011, 12:57 PM   #22
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aladyforty View Post
hate stuff being left on the doorstep
oh i hate that too. when i was building my computer they left every single piece on the patio for the world to see. i couldn't believe it. luckily i had come home early in expectation so it didn't sit long.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 2:23 PM   #23

A friend in the US bought a hard disk for me (I don't live in the US) with UPS "sign for" delivery. She never received it, but when she enquired it seemed the delivery man just left it on her doorstep and forged her signature on the form, and it was then (presumably) stolen from the doorstep. UPS told her they would replace it and it would be paid for by the delivery man - I suspect they believed he'd taken it.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 7:33 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbj7 View Post
A friend in the US bought a hard disk for me (I don't live in the US) with UPS "sign for" delivery. She never received it, but when she enquired it seemed the delivery man just left it on her doorstep and forged her signature on the form, and it was then (presumably) stolen from the doorstep. UPS told her they would replace it and it would be paid for by the delivery man - I suspect they believed he'd taken it.
Oh thanks that makes me feel good

but seriously I would not expect that sort of thing from australia post and as a courier myself I've always tried to put freight (when they have specified to leave it) in a place where it is not so well seen. But if it has a signature required and no-one is home australia post take it back to the depot and leave a card. I'm just hoping that's how it will work but not taking chances, I will stay home or get hubby to do the same until its delivered
Old Mar 19, 2011, 9:33 PM   #25

LOL! I should add that that was the only problem I've had in something like 150 deliveries!
Old Mar 21, 2011, 9:19 AM   #26

well its has gone through customs in australia according to tracking so I guess I will get it in the next couple of days. I purchased a non genuine battery grip from Hong Kong, it has arrived and looks pretty good, of course I don't know how it will shape up until the camera gets here. Does anyone have any experience with non genuine battery grips on here?
Old Mar 21, 2011, 9:29 AM   #27
Super Moderator

i have heard only positive things about most 3rd party battery grips. i think most of the various brands are actually mostly made by the same company and marketed under such names as Zeikos and Vivitar, etc. i have seen several reviews over the years and all point to them functioning just fine. the Canon BG tends to be slightly sturdier built and the feeling of the shutter is more close to the cam iteself as one would expect, but otherwise build and function was just fine for the aftermarkets.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 12:54 PM   #28

I have a Zeikos for my 7D and a Meike for my 5D. Both function pretty well just as the Canon original. The first Meike was defective, but was promptly replaced by Adorama and the replacement is fine.

I had had ideas of using AAs in these grips, but then I read what the battery endurance is with 6 AAs compared with 2 proprietary-style batteries (not Canon originals). No question - get high capacity non-Canon proprietary batteries and use them in your grip.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 8:54 AM   #29

well it has arrived and the battery grip works fine, lovely camera, should be a great buddy to the 50D, took my first shot yesterday

Old Mar 24, 2011, 9:10 AM   #30
Super Moderator

Brilliant!

I'm sure you are going to love it AJ. Have fun.