Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 5, 2011, 5:54 AM   #1

Default 5D classic questions..old technology

As some in here probably have read Ive been trying to make up my mind over lenses, cameras etc. Driving my poor husband crazy. Anyway, I initially decided Id buy a 24-70L for my 50D. The aim was to have a nice lens for environmental outdoor shots of children. The lenses I already own are the 70-200F4Lis 100 F2.8L, 50F1.4 17-40L 100-400L. I also planned to get a 10-22 to give me a wide angle on my crop camera. I really would love to be able to get the 5D2 but it really is out of the question at the moment. So Im looking at the cheapest way out to have a nice lens with F2.8 or more better for portraits and a wide angle.

I have just seen the prices the classic 5Ds are going for on Ebay !!!!!! cheap as!! I don't know enough about about the 5D to see how it would compare image wise at high ISO up against my 50D, the auto focus etc. If it was as good as the 50D at auto focus and was a better noise wise (and what is this Poor maximum light sensitivity I read about with it), I may just have to snap one up. the question mark is over the sensor cleaning etc, although I do clean my own sensors on my crop cameras. could be the way to go I guess. would it be a better answer than buying 2 new lenses, it would be cheaper, or is it just too old a technology now

Old Mar 5, 2011, 8:22 AM   #2

I'm still in three-digit territory, but from all I've read the 5D2 was a large jump up from the 5D. Here's a link to one review: http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...ct/1228/cat/36
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2011, 8:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa_jim View Post
I'm still in three-digit territory, but from all I've read the 5D2 was a large jump up from the 5D. Here's a link to one review: http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...ct/1228/cat/36
Thanks but the 5D mark 2 is out of the question, I have read just about everything I could find on it and it sounds great but right now money is an issue. I am thinking about getting a 5D mark 1 instead. I know its a huge jump from mark 1 to mark 2. Just hoping mark 1 is a worthwhile purchase.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2011, 8:36 AM   #4

Also can someone explain why its advertised with two different mega-pixel sizes, some say 12.8 and others say 13.3 so which is it?
Old Mar 5, 2011, 8:38 AM   #5

My point was to gain an idea of the value of the 5D as contrasted with the 5D2. The review spent a little time comparing and contrasting the two.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2011, 8:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa_jim View Post
My point was to gain an idea of the value of the 5D as contrasted with the 5D2. The review spent a little time comparing and contrasting the two.
yes half way through reading it
Old Mar 6, 2011, 9:56 AM   #7

Theres a good chance Im going to be buying a 5D classic from a long time friend on flickr. Ive been swayed, cant wait to try one now.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 9:51 PM   #8

hope you will be happy. I'm very happy with my 5d mkII.. now i think im saving for the 85mm 1.4 sig. had it now for 2 weeks.
lonefeather93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2011, 7:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonefeather93 View Post
hope you will be happy. I'm very happy with my 5d mkII.. now i think im saving for the 85mm 1.4 sig. had it now for 2 weeks.
well I will be getting it very cheap and I cant afford the mark 2 model right now so Im happy. will keep saving after that for more glass
Old Mar 7, 2011, 9:00 AM   #10
Super Moderator

the 5d was and still is a very capable machine. it holds up rather well still in the image quality department.

the biggest drawback i would see is compared to modern dslrs it lacks the higher iso options, it goes to 1600 (and 3200 from expansion). and it lacks any kind of sensor cleaning mechanism, as you have seen.

but for the price it is a nice way to make use of full frames greater dof control and the ability to use your full frame lenses at their intended points of view.

edit: as for the 13.3 vs 12.8. the 13.3 is the total pixels on the sensor, whereas the 12.8 is number actually used or effective mp