Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 10, 2011, 6:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagaboo View Post
Thanks a lot Sniper you are a GREAT help
Sure! I'll shoot a few shots with my 2x when I get home today and post a few tomorrow.

Zuhören Kraftwerk!

I am the Orb of useless knowledge.
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2011, 6:01 PM   #12

Sounds GREAT and thanks again
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:01 AM   #13

OK, last eve when I got home, slapped the 2x on the 30D, put on the 100~300 4.5 5.6 and it hunted badly for auto focus. Light was dimming down so harsh test! I will try it again today in broad daylight but the lens is a 4.5 on the wide end and these call for 2.8 or faster for AF and as I remember with the 1N A2E and Elanl 2 E they all did the hunt thing pretty bad unless I was in bright sunlight, then it was slower than a HSM without the adaptor but did not hunt like it does with lower light.

For quality sake, I'll shoot a couple pics today with a 17~35 with and without the 2 x and post them and let you see what they look like for comparason if you like.

Zuhören Kraftwerk!

Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:10 AM   #14

Thanks a lot Sniper I don't mind if I have to maually focus and was wondering if that eliminates some of the hassle for you when you experiment.
Thanks bud
Old Mar 12, 2011, 2:01 PM   #15

OK, here are some test shots. Shot in P mode and with 2x and without. All were shot hand held with a cheapo Vivatar 100~300 5.6~6.7 lens I bought years ago in a pinch. It is for EOS and an AF non HSM lens.

Fisrt pic, taken on my access road ( I live way up in the mountains!) at the shed that is about 150M away.

Second pic was at full focal length 300mm.

Third pic at 100mm but with the Tamron 2XA adaptor, on this shot it did auto focus but hunted just a tad, probably took about 2 seconds to focus.

And finally, the fourth pic, 300mm with Tamron 2XA.

As you can see there is a little difference in clarity but for what these items cost, and not shooting this for a pro shoot, it isn't bad!

Also, These were with my 30d which is a 1.6x so the lens is actually around 160~480 or close to that I think. And with the 2xa, 320~920!

Zuhören Kraftwerk!

Last edited by Sniper X; Mar 12, 2011 at 2:03 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 2:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagaboo View Post
Thanks a lot Sniper I don't mind if I have to maually focus and was wondering if that eliminates some of the hassle for you when you experiment.
Thanks bud
On the focus, I found that the lens when the 2X was on was auto focusing but slower than without the 2X. As well, I noticed that the auto focus was hunting then rested at infinity (since the subject was so far away) and when I played round a bit, was able to manually focus quite easily with the lens with the 2X on at objects closer than the shed. So it was never what i would call a problem, although I WOULD have used a pro L series 2.8 lens for sports and keep the AF. I have used this same 2x with a 300 2.8 Canon L series lens when I used to shoot filed photo for the UNM Lobos, and it worked great in broad daylight. I was shooting 35mm colour positive (transperency) film (ASA 400 Fuji pro film) on those shoots. A bunch of those shots got blown up to 30X40 and displayed in the Tow Diem Stadium where the UNM Lobos call home so were great resolution.

Zuhören Kraftwerk!

Old Mar 12, 2011, 4:35 PM   #17

Thank you sooo much Sniper for the comparison shots and while my shots aren't pro nor am I going for a pro shot, the difference for me is very minimal to discount a 2x and will be ordering one here within the next week just for that extra zoom that I've been needing and wanting for my outdoor adventures and once again thank you VERY much
Old Mar 12, 2011, 5:25 PM   #18

Wagaboo, If you want to see what a front of lens mounted teleconverter can do look for some of LTZ470's posts.... I've never seen him post a dud photo yet
Square one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2011, 5:27 PM   #19

Thanks Square, will look for sure
Old Mar 12, 2011, 10:59 PM   #20

welcome Wagaboo. I think you'll like the 2xa, they do work great for general shooting. I also love how they don't vignette with ANY lens and work on ANY lens. The only problem I have with those that go ahead of the lens are they only work on a lens with the right diameter front element.

Zuhören Kraftwerk!