Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:31 PM   #21

Grrr having problems with finding an ef-s 2x that will accept my 55-250mm may have to go to 1.4 but trying to get the 2x but cant find anything so far on getting one

Last edited by TD Cole; Mar 15, 2011 at 1:19 PM.
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2011, 8:29 AM   #22

I think a 2x TC is at its best when it comes from the manufacturer of the lens you are using it on. I use Sigma's on my Bigma (50-500) and it works just fine. Have used the combo on several Canons including a 30D and 5DmkII. It works well and IQ is quite acceptable, especially when I use it at airshows. I have used the same 2x on my Canon 70-200L IS and, surprising to me, it also works extremely well with no loss of autofocus. Used in bright light, there are no problems. It does not, however, fit all my lenses ... which is the same as my 1.4 TC.

However, a previous off-the-shelf no-brand 2x I borrowed did not play very well with these lenses and the IQ was bad. Finding one that fits all one's lenses is difficult, too.

FWIW, in answer to a much earlier question in this thread, general purpose, no brand, objective lens add-ons using the filter threads or some other attachment method rarely perform very well. Or perhaps I should say never, if you ever plan to have quality images ... and that comes from over 50 years of amateur and pro photographic experience.

Last edited by hgernhardtjr; Mar 17, 2011 at 8:35 AM.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2011, 5:26 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagaboo View Post
Grrr having problems with finding an ef-s 2x that will accept my 55-250mm may have to go to 1.4 but trying to get the 2x but cant find anything so far on getting one
Have you tried the Tamron 2XA? Mine works on every Canon ot other brand lens I own.

Zuhören Kraftwerk!

I am the Orb of useless knowledge.
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2011, 5:35 PM   #24

Thanks Sniper and no I haven't so I went and ordered a 500mm f8 lens..cheap glass but I was getting frustrated with trying to find one and then they were getting more expensive than I wanted to spend. When I get more money I will though.

Last edited by TD Cole; Mar 18, 2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 6:22 PM   #25

@ hgernhardtjr I don't want to slam your years of photo experiences, but look at some of the images produced using the Nikon TC17 when bolted on the front of say the new Panasonic 4/3 cameras or even on the FZ35/38 / FZ40/45 .... to say they never work well is selling short some of the results that can be seen in these forums.

Yes they do have limitations of what zoom setting you can set with the primary lens, but when used correctly the results are stunning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgernhardtjr View Post

FWIW, in answer to a much earlier question in this thread, general purpose, no brand, objective lens add-ons using the filter threads or some other attachment method rarely perform very well. Or perhaps I should say never, if you ever plan to have quality images ... and that comes from over 50 years of amateur and pro photographic experience.
Square one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 5:41 AM   #26

Wagaboo, did you get the teleconverter? Does it work?
My Flickr
dropmyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 10:50 AM   #27

No I didn't get it I got a 500mm fixed lens for now until I can afford a good tcon
Old Mar 25, 2011, 3:23 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagaboo View Post
No I didn't get it I got a 500mm fixed lens for now until I can afford a good tcon
A fixed lens is one that doesn't zoom right? Can you post the full specs and pic here so I can see what that is? Sorry to bother.

Sorry for my ignorance, I'm a Panny FZ38 user looking to get a Canon DSLR but scared of losing my zoom since I shoot wildlife here in Kenya. Hence my interest in a teleconverter.

The big zoom lenses on DSLRs are crazy expensive!
My Flickr
dropmyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2011, 8:15 AM   #29

""A fixed lens is one that doesn't zoom right?""
Correct and it's a fixed f8 as well and you need a tripod with the lens as well as there is no IS...yes its cheap glass but I like it so far plus if you have a 250 or 300mm lens you can add a tcon to get more focal length.
I still bring my fz38 with me when I head out to take pics so in my opinion there's no loss. I use my dslr for stuff within range of my 250mm and the panny for longer focal length BUT if you dig deep enough on Amazon.com you can find lenses at a very reasonable price.