Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 10, 2011, 1:46 AM   #1

Default Old Sigma Lenses info

Hello all,

I figured i would share a little info for everyone here that i learned this evening and ask a question.

I purchased on ebay a Sigma Super Wide II 24mm f/2.8 Lens
the seller stated that it would not work with the new Digital EOS cameras.

When i received the lens and attached it to the camera the aperture was stopped down to f/22. My Rebel XSi had no problem "knowing" what apertures it could use, but every time i took a picture at any aperture other than f/22 i received an error 01.

So i removed the mounting ring and used a small screwdriver to turn the gears for the aperture and opened it up to f/2.8. Now i switched the camera back on and changed the aperture in manual mode to f/2.8. As long as i matched the aperture to what it was set at, the camera worked just fine taking pictures, it also beeped when focus was achieved in manual mode. the auto focus did not seem to work, and it seemed that the motor really struggled to try to achieve focus, almost sounding like it was under powered

I called sigma and said that they could not rechip the lens. But after digging through many forums on the net i came across an old post someone made saying that the lenses worked fine as long as a battery grip was attached (it uses 2 batteries) to provide the lens enough power.

Has anyone successfully used an old sigma lens with a battery grip and it worked. If so i will gladly buy one on ebay so i may use this lens for night photography. I paid $46 for the lens, and even if the battery grip option doesn't work i can always manually adjust it, so i think i got a bargain.

-Travis-
tswen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2011, 10:06 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tswen View Post
Hello all,

I figured i would share a little info for everyone here that i learned this evening and ask a question.

I purchased on ebay a Sigma Super Wide II 24mm f/2.8 Lens
the seller stated that it would not work with the new Digital EOS cameras.

When i received the lens and attached it to the camera the aperture was stopped down to f/22. My Rebel XSi had no problem "knowing" what apertures it could use, but every time i took a picture at any aperture other than f/22 i received an error 01.

So i removed the mounting ring and used a small screwdriver to turn the gears for the aperture and opened it up to f/2.8. Now i switched the camera back on and changed the aperture in manual mode to f/2.8. As long as i matched the aperture to what it was set at, the camera worked just fine taking pictures, it also beeped when focus was achieved in manual mode. the auto focus did not seem to work, and it seemed that the motor really struggled to try to achieve focus, almost sounding like it was under powered

I called sigma and said that they could not rechip the lens. But after digging through many forums on the net i came across an old post someone made saying that the lenses worked fine as long as a battery grip was attached (it uses 2 batteries) to provide the lens enough power.

Has anyone successfully used an old sigma lens with a battery grip and it worked. If so i will gladly buy one on ebay so i may use this lens for night photography. I paid $46 for the lens, and even if the battery grip option doesn't work i can always manually adjust it, so i think i got a bargain.

-Travis-
I just read that on the SIgmas, you have to have one that says it is for a Canon EOS digital camera as opposed to just a Canon EOS lens. Hope the grip deal works out! I just ordered one anyway because I love the feel and long battery life they offer. Good to hear it might make the old Sigmas work with the DSLR.

Zuhören Kraftwerk!

I am the Orb of useless knowledge.
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2012, 9:10 PM   #3

Did the battery grip work? I just upgraded to a full frame dslr and couldn't wait to finally use my old Sigma Super Wide II again only to find out that it's stuck at f/2.8 right now. Sigma can't rechip it for me so I'm out of luck unless the battery grip does work, does anyone know?
Medley is offline   Reply With Quote