Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 10, 2011, 3:27 PM   #1

Default N00B photo editing question, software...

So, I have never done a ton of photo editing in the digital realm. I have been editing both video and HD video non linear wise for years. But, since I just (finally!) got a entry level pro DSLR, I need to get up to speed!

What are my options and prices for software?

I am not shooting professionally, for hobby only. MAYBE an occ pro shoot but normally it'll be for my own use.

I did get DPP or what ever comes with the 30D. But is it any good?

Open to suggestions!

Thanks!

Zuhören Kraftwerk!

I am the Orb of useless knowledge.
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2011, 3:37 PM   #2

DPP isnt bad and can be upgraded from canon for nothing the lastest level even has an unsharp mask so well done to canon
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2011, 1:55 AM   #3
Super Moderator

One of:

Adobe Lightroom, Apple Aperture, Phase One - Capture One Pro, Bibble Pro.

All do more or less the same thing with them leapfrogging each other in terms of features and performance over time.

Capture One probably is marginally the best with the best RAW converter. (Win/Mac)

Lightroom has the biggest market share and is excellent, and obviously very compatible with Photoshop, and has an outstanding print engine which separates it from the others. (Win/Mac)

Aperture is the Apple way. Good UI, good features, compatible with importing iPhoto libraries - which is useful for some. (Mac only) If you buy it from the new online Apple store in Mac OSX the price is VERY good, less than half of what it used to be. It's also Ken Rockwell's new favourite (with all the hyperbole that involves) editing tool. Of course he's completely oblivious that the other 3 exist at all, but it does go to show how much you need one of these four!

Bibble Pro is a good all-rounder and blazingly fast, also runs across Linux/Win/Mac.

I use Lightroom because:
1. I want the option of using Mac and Windows (rules out Aperture)
2. When I started with LR 1, Capture One was woefully behind in the image management/database side of things, though it has now caught up.
3. Excellent workflow and wide range of plugins available, more than C1.
4. Good Photoshop integration.
5. Hey - it's Adobe - how bad can it be? It may not be the best at everything but it's not going to be a dog either.
6. The print module is outstandingly good. Puts colour-managed printing in the realm of ordinary mortals.

With any of the 4 programs above you will find that for normal photography you will never need Photoshop.

P.S. If you do decide to go for Lightroom or Capture One then make sure you buy the Luminous Landscape video tutorials. They are much better than a book and very very good.

Last edited by peripatetic; Mar 11, 2011 at 3:27 AM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2011, 2:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
What are my options and prices for software?
I use GIMP for almost everything.
www.gimp.org

Quote:
I did get DPP or what ever comes with the 30D. But is it any good?

Open to suggestions!

Thanks!
I have never used DPP, so I cant comment on it. As you
already have it, you may as well try it out. I think it has
some useful features like RAW processing, the same filters
as are available in the camera plus some more, tethered shooting
with intervalometer.....
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2011, 9:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
One of:

Adobe Lightroom, Apple Aperture, Phase One - Capture One Pro, Bibble Pro.

All do more or less the same thing with them leapfrogging each other in terms of features and performance over time.

Capture One probably is marginally the best with the best RAW converter. (Win/Mac)

Lightroom has the biggest market share and is excellent, and obviously very compatible with Photoshop, and has an outstanding print engine which separates it from the others. (Win/Mac)

Aperture is the Apple way. Good UI, good features, compatible with importing iPhoto libraries - which is useful for some. (Mac only) If you buy it from the new online Apple store in Mac OSX the price is VERY good, less than half of what it used to be. It's also Ken Rockwell's new favourite (with all the hyperbole that involves) editing tool. Of course he's completely oblivious that the other 3 exist at all, but it does go to show how much you need one of these four!

Bibble Pro is a good all-rounder and blazingly fast, also runs across Linux/Win/Mac.

I use Lightroom because:
1. I want the option of using Mac and Windows (rules out Aperture)
2. When I started with LR 1, Capture One was woefully behind in the image management/database side of things, though it has now caught up.
3. Excellent workflow and wide range of plugins available, more than C1.
4. Good Photoshop integration.
5. Hey - it's Adobe - how bad can it be? It may not be the best at everything but it's not going to be a dog either.
6. The print module is outstandingly good. Puts colour-managed printing in the realm of ordinary mortals.

With any of the 4 programs above you will find that for normal photography you will never need Photoshop.

P.S. If you do decide to go for Lightroom or Capture One then make sure you buy the Luminous Landscape video tutorials. They are much better than a book and very very good.
Excellent and comprehensive write up! Thanks very much!

Zuhören Kraftwerk!

Old Mar 11, 2011, 9:57 AM   #6

Awesome guys ! Thanks to all!!!

Zuhören Kraftwerk!

Old Mar 11, 2011, 10:10 AM   #7
Super Moderator

My view on Gimp.

If you are an imaging expert there is very little that is possible in Photoshop that is not possible in Gimp.

However. If you are not already an imaging expert PS is a lot easier to use, and for photographers, as opposed to graphic designers or digital artists, it's mostly not necessary anymore. The programs I reference above do some things very well that gimp/PS don't do, and the things they lack are not an issue for photographers for 99.9% of the time.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 2:08 PM   #8

just a quick bit of info if you want to try the gimp its easy to find how to do things just go to youtube and look at the tutorials there. I learnt a lot that way with both gimp and aperture, someone has always done it. if you want to try photoshop then there is 30 day free trial sme for lightroom and aperture. good luck
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2011, 3:18 PM   #9
Administrator

What operating system are you using (Windows, OS X, Linux, etc.)?

As already mentioned by peripatetic, there are a number of choices available.

Bibble is nice because it's cross platform (linux, os x, windows), full featured, and fast. If you buy the Pro version, you can use the same license key under multiple operating systems, too. I'd download the latest trial version and see how you like it. Get it here:

http://www.bibblelabs.com/

If you want to give Lightroom a try (OS X and Windows only), I'd probably download 3.4 RC1. Get it here:

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/lightroom3-4.html

Then, after it goes final (versus it's current Release Candidate status) and you see a message that it no longer works, download the Lightroom 3.4 Final trial release if you need more time to decide.

As for the GIMP, I'm a big open source supporter. But, it has virtually no workflow management features, and it can only edit in 8 bit mode, meaning you may see Posterization issues when making major changes to images (curves, etc.), as compared to products that allow you to edit in 16 bit mode. The gaps you can see in histograms when editing in 8 bit mode make it pretty obvious that 8 bit editing is very limited compared to what you get with more advanced 16 bit editors.

The GIMP has been steadily improving over time. But, you may want to check out some of the other Open Source products around, too. For example, some of the photographers I know that use Linux (where open source applications tend to be more popular) stick to products like Cinepaint instead, due to 8 bit editing limitations inherent to the [current] GIMP design.

If you plan in sticking with jpeg images, that may not be a big deal. But, if you want to have finer control of output using 16 bit editing, without worrying as much about posterization, I'd probably go with a different product.

That should change over time. But, I've been waiting for 16 bit support in the GIMP for years now, and AFAIK it's still not there, even though many other Open Source image editing projects support 16 bit editing (Cinepaint, digiKam, Krita and more).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2011, 1:10 PM   #10

I am on a PC, win 7 latest as I just bought a new laptop. It is a middle of the road Acer which is really nice for the money and fast for what it cost. I'll try lightroom first with the free trial and see what I find out. thanks again ALL for all the great responses and I'll keep you posted as to what I decide!

thanks!!!!!!

Kevin

Zuhören Kraftwerk!