Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 3, 2004, 8:26 PM   #1

Default Canon Rebel 300D Flash sports mode and other problems?

I just bought the camera, and couldn't find any info on this situation I had today. I wanted to try using the camera on sports mode. I put it on sports mod and I couldn't open the flash. So, when I did open it (from a different setting) when I tried to take a picture it wouldn't flash.

I also tried changing my Shutterspeed... I was not able to change this over 200?

?????
JBsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2004, 9:04 PM   #2

Not sure what you're doing wrong or if something is wrong with your camera. I'm not that familiar with the basic modes.

Better way to shoot sports action, is to place the mode selector in Tv mode, set your shutter speed to the speed needed to capture the action and shoot. If you need flash, manually pop it up or install an external flash. The creative modes provide much more control over the camera than the basic modes do.

What sport are you trying to photograph?
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2004, 9:09 PM   #3

Thank you OHenry -- I did try to do that as well however I was unable to set the shutter any higher then 200. I tried clearing all settings as well, and trying over.
Old Jan 3, 2004, 9:10 PM   #4

If this continues after shutting off the camera and turning it back on, I'd say it needs a visit to the Canon Repair Center
Old Jan 3, 2004, 9:15 PM   #5

I just purchased it last night, so I will exchange it tomorrow. Thanks.
Old Jan 3, 2004, 9:44 PM   #6

I'm guessing there is nothing wrong with your drebel at all... Quick check of the manual reveals that:

1) The flash WILL NOT fire in sports mode

2) The flash sync speed is 1/200... there for with the flash on you cannot set the shutter speed above 1/200...

So you drebel is behaving as I would expect....

hth,
john
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2004, 10:51 PM   #7

Thanks! I did look thru the manual today while at the meet but me and another person couldn't find anything about it. I did just play with it and noticed that if the flash is off I can set the shutter high.

How would I take sports action photos without a flash? Can I adjust the shutter? Sorry, but for some reason I can't find this info in the manual.

Thank you very much!
Old Jan 3, 2004, 11:35 PM   #8

OK...I played a bit with the basic modes and understand it much better. As Mr Saginaw said, that's normal.

Again, JBsMom....take a few minutes and read how to take pictures using the creative zones. You will be able to have greater control and able to take flash pictures at higher shutter speeds. You didn't say what type of sport, so I'll assume it's an indoor sport such as basketball. Place your camera in Tv, set your shutter speed to any speed from up to 200, manually pop up the flash, and take the picture. The cameras meter will try to expose the background (so it will probably come out darker because of the low lighting and fast shutter speed) and the flash will expose the subject. There are other ways, but probably beyond the scope of this discussion at the moment.

If you want to synch at faster than 1/200, you will have to purchase an external flash (which isn't a bad idea given the type of photos you're attempting as the onboard flash is probably too weak)

The basic modes are OK for snapshots, but you bought a camera that is capable of SO much more. The creative modes will give you the flexibility to grow and take better photos that are well beyond the point and shoot mentality of the basic modes.

Go to this website. It has some great lessons on learning the Digital Rebel! http://www.photoworkshop.com/canon/index.html
Old Jan 3, 2004, 11:54 PM   #9

Thank you so much! I am going to do a search for the flash to purchase as well. The sport I was photographing today was a high school wrestling tournament (where I can get pretty close to the action). I just used the automatic mod, and have say I was quite impressed!

Here is a cropped picture without editing. I can't wait to try more functions so I can get basketball shots next week!! Thanks again! I have book-marked the link for reading tomorrow!

[/img]
Old Jan 6, 2004, 1:23 AM   #10

Nice picture!
Im excited about getting the Rebel soon.
Im interested in seeing your indoor shots of basketball.
I love taken sports shots.

Here are some of mine with the Olympus E100rs

www.pbase.com/wvyankeegurl
www.pbase.com/yankees22
www.pbase.com/yankees

Good luck ! would love to see more sports shots with the rebel!
wvyankeegurl is offline   Reply With Quote