Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:24 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj1974 View Post
7) jdnan - thanks for your very helpful posts, especially your first one really set the scene!! Have you (or others) made or heard comparisons of the 'flash focus noise' of the Nissin Di866 with others (eg Canon 580EXII)? Sometimes, eg at church or in events, I like to be as inconspicuous and unobtrusive as possible.

regards

Paul
Paul - my pleasure, unfortunately, I often don't know when to keep my mouth shut (plagued me for my entire 50 years!), but I'm glad you found it helpful. I haven't compared it to others, but I've learned to live with the Nissin with no known problems so far with the noise. My only other experience with external flashes were another camera brand. I had the top of the line version and it didn't make any noise that I can recall (or notices). As to your questions 6 & 8, I've found the HSS to work very nicely on my Di866.

Best,
Jerry
jdnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 12:32 PM   #22
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
That is one thing I really like about Sigma, if something goes wrong with compatibility they will fix it free of charge. Even long after the warrany period has expired.
I'm glad you brought that up
-> Canon L warranty is only 1-year

Sigma EX is 8-years!!!
So if someone do get a lemon in a lens (or worry about Sigma QC control) they have 8 times more opportunities to sent it back...
I can't imagine a corporation leaving themself open like that. If someone do run an operation it's much cheaper to get the final QC correct right out of the gate instead of through repair depots, and I'm sure Sigma is nowhere near that dumb

Last edited by NHL; Mar 23, 2011 at 1:34 PM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2011, 2:50 AM   #23

Thanks again for all of you for the very helpful posts. It has helped my consideration a lot, so much appreciate! Particularly thanks to NHL for taking that time to very kindly go through my LONG post and answer point by point.

I've looked on a few other forums / sites, and obtained a fairly balanced set of thoughts, I think from a variety of people. (But most of the input is from here... good ol' Steve's forums!) :-)

I've now got it narrowed now between the Canon 580EXII or the Nissin Di866. Some pro's and con's of each, of course. (NHL's and others' recommendation that the Nissin is better value for money, but at the end of the day it isn't a Canon - thus not perhaps guaranteeing as 'safe' a buy).

Some people say the Nissin underexposes by about 0.5 to 1 EV, but that can be consistently corrected by adding Flash Exposure Compensation (FEC).

Through some online stores and camera retailers here in Australia, I find that the Canon 580EXII on average for about $599, while I can get the Nissin for about $340. That's quite a big saving ($250)... so I'm leaning a bit more to the Nissin - but I haven't finalised my decision yet.

So if I do get the Nissin, and only if I'm really not happy with it at all, will I buy the Canon 580EXII. (Then probably I'll keep the Nissin as a second flash- or sell on ebay if the Nissin just doesn't really 'work' for my needs).

I don't expect to be doing a lot of flash photography. And I think should be able to work out any more minor 'niggles' with differences between Canon (bodies) and Nissin (flash) - as I've done with my Sigma lens, and other 3rd party accessories.

I do realise that I'll have to learn more aspects of (external) flash photography - but as with most other aspects - I believe I'll be able to read, practice and pick it up.

Once again, a huge thank you to all for your much valued input. I'll hope to give an update here when I receive whatever flash I'm eventually going to decide on, and buy it - and try it out.

Cheers

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2011, 2:53 AM   #24

ebay form HK, the nissin is 260 dollars, and nissin carries an international warranty.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 9:04 AM   #25
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj1974 View Post
Some people say the Nissin underexposes by about 0.5 to 1 EV, but that can be consistently corrected by adding Flash Exposure Compensation (FEC).
This is not unique to the Nissin (or Metz, Sigma etc)... and not what I've seen from experiences.
-> This is how it works: the camera tells the flash to do a pre-flash, it then meters this flash pulse, and the camera then commands the flash to output the proper amount of light depending on what it has computed!!!
The flash only does what the camera tells it to do i.e. Any under/over exposure is the results of what the camera 'thinks' it metered. You'll see the same under/over problem with Canon's flash, just check this forum...
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ca...i-problem.html
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fl...ash-query.html

Last edited by NHL; Mar 26, 2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:31 PM   #26

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
ebay form HK, the nissin is 260 dollars, and nissin carries an international warranty.
Hi shoturtle

Thanks for your recommendation, I'll have a look online!

Paul
Old Mar 26, 2011, 11:01 PM   #27

Default aha

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL View Post
This is not unique to the Nissin (or Metz, Sigma etc)... and not what I've seen from experiences.
-> This is how it works: the camera tells the flash to do a pre-flash, it then meters this flash pulse, and the camera then commands the flash to output the proper amount of light depending on what it has computed!!!
The flash only does what the camera tells it to do i.e. Any under/over exposure is the results of what the camera 'thinks' it metered. You'll see the same under/over problem with Canon's flash, just check this forum...
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ca...i-problem.html
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fl...ash-query.html
Thanks for explaining this NHL, much appreciated.

I looked up the other two links on this forum too. What happens is now getting more logical to me (ie pre-flash, metering & final flash).

An additional question I have here is, does anyone have direct experience whether the Nissin 866 works properly by being wirelessly controlled (ie off camera) by a Canon 7D????

I've seen quite a number of people on various websites saying "yes" or "no". This would also be a consideration for me (as I do hope to do some 'off camera' controlled flash shots.)

And I'm not sure, but is this to do with the firmware upgrade? (if any people can give me direct experience answers about this - much appreciated!)

Thanks again

Paul
Old Mar 28, 2011, 6:31 AM   #28
NHL

Paul

I hope you do get a response, but from my experience I've not seen too many people using their 'wireless' flashes here in this forum (least of which a Di-866!!!)... The last time I've helped someone over here was from several years ago with a Sigma EF-500 DG Super!!!

There are probably many reasons for this, but I believe the main one is probably cost: before the 7D, the barrier to wireless flash entry was pretty high because it required Canon owners to buy at least two flashes, one of which has to be a Master i.e. 550/580EX's. This put the system pricing in competition with completed low-end studio lighting equipments which are not only more powerful but are also much more flexible than just two speedlight devices! The only thing going for theses tiny units is their small sizes which can be fitted in a small camera bag, but you're limited by their small output as well... I tend to use 3 heads most of the times, but even then they can't produce quality akin to studio strobes, but they do fit in my carry-on when I traveled: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fl...sh-fetish.html

I don't yet have a 7D, but I've used the Nissin with both the ST-E2(infrared) and the 550/580(flash) as Master, so the Di866 indeed works wirelessly in theses cases when programmed as a slave. A 7D would be more similar to a 550/580 than an ST-E2 in operation as the camera's modulated its flash output instead. It's described here on page 25: http://www.nissindigital.com/files/D...ual_8Sep09.pdf

I've also tried the Di-866 in the Master mode controlling two 550 and 580 EXes with no firmware upgrade!

Last edited by NHL; Mar 29, 2011 at 6:34 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 7:58 PM   #29

hey
better to buy nissin and with the money you save pick up some accs.
flash bracket, sync cord, diffuser, i dunno man, maybe a remote, light/flash stand etc
that way you get a bang for your buck
good luck
pete
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2011, 10:25 PM   #30

FWIW I recently bought two Nissin Di866s, after a lot of research, for use with my 7D and 5D. They work exceptionally well and are very easy to use, and I can't think of any area I would expect the EX580 II to be better. I find they work on full auto with the 7D with no adjustment normally required, but on my 5D they underexpose 1 1/3 stops. No matter, easily adjusted. I have no regrets at all. I'm glad that my flashes won't be emitting high radiation levels like the EX580 II, which I'm told can be hazardous to people with pace makers.