Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 30, 2011, 3:41 PM   #1

Default Canon t2i vs. 30 SX

I purchased the t2i and now am wondering if I should have purchased the 30 SX. I'm going to the UK in July and didn't think about the t2i not having the zoom capibility. I like the t2i's sharp pictures but traveling abroad it may be easier to tote around a camera that has everything built in vs toting around multiple lenses.

The t2i came with two lenses 18-55mm and 55-250 mm. I am not very proficient with the t2i or knowledgeable about the different lenses. Comments please.
CBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2011, 3:45 PM   #2
Super Moderator

well, you could always purchase a superzoom lens for your t2i.

examples include:
Canon EF-S 18-200 IS
Sigma 18-250 OS
Tamron 18-270 VC

this gives you 1 lens that covers everything, nice for traveling.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 3:50 PM   #3

UK has a lot of night photography option. You will want a good low light camera like the t2i even with the kit lens over a pns for your trip. Long is not as important as you think for travel. Your 55-250mm and 18-55 gives you the equal reach of 28-400mm. When traveling in Europe I never really need more then that. I you really do not want to deal with changing lenses, and want more reach the tamron 18-270 VC PZ is a faster focusing lens then the older 18-270. So you will find a good deal on the older 18-270.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 5:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
well, you could always purchase a superzoom lens for your t2i.

examples include:
Canon EF-S 18-200 IS
Sigma 18-250 OS
Tamron 18-270 VC

this gives you 1 lens that covers everything, nice for traveling.
I was hoping to receive an answer such as this. I hate to even ask how much the cost of another lens will be. lol.

Since I stated the two lenses that came with the camera, when is the appropriate time to use them? Is one better than the other? I'm used to P&S cameras so this is ALL NEW so please excuse my ignorance.

Edited: Just priced the EF-S 18-200 IS and it's at least equal or more than the price of the SX 30. I may as well get the second camera. I am not a happy camper. lol.

Last edited by CBeck; Mar 30, 2011 at 5:08 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 5:10 PM   #5

with hards's list of lenses, they are all megazoom lenses. And performance is about the same. The sigma is the fastest to focus with the HSM motor. But the new tamron 18-270 has a new motor the PZ that makes it focus pretty quickly.

The canon 18-200 is not a long reaching as you current setup. If you do find yourself shooting pass 200 with the 55-250. Then either the sigma or tamron would be the better option. Between the 2, the tamron has been better received by photo review sites. They will not match the 2 lens setup, but gives you a simpler setup when traveling. And even though they are softer then the 2 lens combo you have, they will still be better then a pns camera.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 5:29 PM   #6

I'm sorry. I would like to know when to use my current lenses -- 18-55mm and the 55-250. I have the 18-55mm on the camera now and it takes nice every day shots. I haven't tried the 2nd one yet.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 5:32 PM   #7

well the current lenses you have the 18-55 are good for close up stuff and wide angle stuff like cityscapes and landscapes. And the 55-250 is good for shallow dof work outdoors where you can get good separation between your subject and the background. Also as it is a telephoto, it is good for getting close to subjects you can not get closer to by foot.

PS there is no set rule on when to use which lens.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 4:30 AM   #8

Hi I have the t2i/550d plus the 18-55is and 55-250is this is a great combination and will cover all your needs. The T2i/550d is great for low light with these lenses, I have just come back from florida with some great shoots. WHat I did was choose a lens for the day at the parks and shot with it. It made me think more of how to compose shots. Where are you going in the uk.
Your 18-55 is the standard lens its covers wide to slight zoom about X3 zoom. The 55-250 covers a longer distance and is about X4 zoom. Think of it like a telescope.
I would change lenses and get some practise in.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 6:14 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeck View Post
I was hoping to receive an answer such as this. I hate to even ask how much the cost of another lens will be. lol.

Since I stated the two lenses that came with the camera, when is the appropriate time to use them? Is one better than the other? I'm used to P&S cameras so this is ALL NEW so please excuse my ignorance.

Edited: Just priced the EF-S 18-200 IS and it's at least equal or more than the price of the SX 30. I may as well get the second camera. I am not a happy camper. lol.
PArt 1 of your question-
Sigma 18-250 os/hsm - 479$
Canon 18-200 IS - 589$
Tamron 18-270 PZD - 649$ (new version)
Tamron 18-270 - 629$ minus 150$ mail rebate- 479$ (old version)

the sigma and the new tamron have silent fast focus motors, the canon and older tamron do not though the canon focuses nearly as fast despite not having usm. the new tamron probably has the best i.q., but all will be pretty similar. right now i think the sigma is the best value, but the new tamron is probably the best lens. the canon is always the safest bet in compatibility for future cams vs 3rd parties.

Part 2 when to use the lenses you have
The 18-55 is a normal zoom, meaning it covers a standard focal length used for most photography. you will use this to shoot landscapes, beachscapes, pictures of buildings, cityscapes, most people shots, etc.
The 55-250 is a telephoto, you will use this when you want something farther away to appear closer. you would use this for, wildlife/birds, people shots from a farther distance, to get in close on some detail on a building far away, can be used to shoot flowers as the magnification is decent enough for most close-up that arent too small.etc.

Part 3 should you get a sx30is since its the same price as lens.
well that is up to you. but, the sx30 will not come close to the T2i in image quality, esp in lower light situations, the sx30is sensor is many times smaller than the t2i. nor is it as quick in use, it will have shutter lag, etc. but it does offer the convenience of 35x zoom. and if you do that, will you bring that alone, or it and t2i. what fits your needs best is up to you to decide.