Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 6, 2011, 2:29 PM   #21

Thanks for the feedback guys!
Old Apr 6, 2011, 2:37 PM   #22

With the flash thing, I would not hold off picking one up. You will have some learning curve to catch up on to deploy it properly for the indoor stuff and at night stuff at the wedding.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 3:20 PM   #23

I think im gonna hold off on buying a wider lens due to insufficient funds, lol. I think I'll rent a canon 16-35L f2.8 for the wedding. It'll cost under $100 w/ shipping, for a 4 day rental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
With the flash thing, I would not hold off picking one up. You will have some learning curve to catch up on to deploy it properly for the indoor stuff and at night stuff at the wedding.
Good idea. will do.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 3:24 PM   #24

Nissin di866 ebay, excellent price for a flash that can be both slave and master and a ton of power and super easy interface, but you can control it within the 7D menu also.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 4:03 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Nissin di866 ebay, excellent price for a flash that can be both slave and master and a ton of power and super easy interface, but you can control it within the 7D menu also.
Yes, I'm very happy with mine. The proof that it's easy is that I can use it with no problems, so that means anybody can learn to use it. It's also just a ton power and controlled very well by Canon DSLR's.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 4:33 PM   #26
Super Moderator

Although you might not have used wider than a 50 for 'normal' shooting, if you need to do wedding groups when it gets a little tight then you will likely want that wider range. If I was doing weddings on a crop body then the 17-55 would be right at the top of the list. That with a 70-200mm f2.8 make a great combo. I wouldn't put the 50mm f1.4 too highly for weddings as if you are not used to it then adding in switching lenses too much will just lose your focus. Keep it simple as there will be far too much going on in the day.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 4:35 PM   #27

slave means "off camera"? Is it wireless, or do i need a cord with it?

I've been looking at this flash bracket for a long time now..
http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductD...dium%29&key=it
i really like the aesthetics of it (lol), and the function of switching from landscape to portrait looks super easy. Not sure if its worth almost $400 though!

I got to tell you, the nissin looks like a toy with those buttons, eh? never seen a flash like that before. not saying its bad, just different.

Last edited by ewheeler20; Apr 6, 2011 at 4:39 PM.
ewheeler20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 6:08 PM   #28

off topic, looking at a few videos about the 7d, what type of memory card does it use? I have two 8gig transcend SDHC Class 10 cards. Then I saw something about a "CF card"? never heard of it before. does the 7d accept both kinds of memory cards?

Thanks!
-Eric
Old Apr 6, 2011, 6:38 PM   #29
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewheeler20 View Post
off topic, looking at a few videos about the 7d, what type of memory card does it use? I have two 8gig transcend SDHC Class 10 cards. Then I saw something about a "CF card"? never heard of it before. does the 7d accept both kinds of memory cards?

Thanks!
-Eric
Nope, it is a single slot only and it is compact flash. In the Canon lineup it is only the 1 series that has duel slots.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 7:05 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Nope, it is a single slot only and it is compact flash. In the Canon lineup it is only the 1 series that has duel slots.
This is true. My 1DMKIII has both, but I've found I prefer the compact flash, write speeds seem to be faster on cards rated at the same speed.