Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 5, 2011, 10:17 PM   #1

Default Pentax --> Canon. I am switching

I am currently a Pentax user, with a K-r and 5 lenses... After much thought and consideration and a lot of help from some great people here at Steve's, I am switching to Canon. In case anyone is interested as to how it all went down, here is the thread:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...nt-pentax.html

Nearer to the end of that thread a lot of talk went into what body and lenses I should buy for my needs. Currently my needs are sports (college level baseball, softball, volleyball, track/field, basketball) and general family shooting. I will also be the official wedding photographer for my cousin in September for their wedding reception. (they were married in the courthouse early this January).

Here is what I have come out with (with lots of help from others):

Canon 7D
Canon 70-200 f.28 non-IS
Canon 24-70 f2.8
Canon 1.4x TC

Nothing is set in stone right now, and i am strongly considering renting those listed items before i buy. Not sure yet if i want to lay down $200 for 3 days of use with that stuff.

That will be my starting point with canon. Eventually (1-2 years) i will be buying more lenses; A wide angle prime, a dedicated macro, 50mm 1.4, etc.

I will most likely be buying used or refurbished equipment; both body and lenses. Buying used will cost about $3910. Buying new will cost me $4810. I have looked into the canon loyalty program for the 7D, and i will be looking at the refurbished section of canon for my lenses as well as craigslist and canon forums.

I will be selling my Pentax gear. That i will be selling on pentaxforums.com and craigslist. I hope to recoup $3000 out of all of it.

I am looking to current canon users for feedback on my potential choices and where/how to buy them. Any input is great appreciated. (Please no Pentax bashing, they don't deserve it.)

Thanks!
-Eric
Old Apr 5, 2011, 10:43 PM   #2

That is a sound starting setup. You did mention wedding, you might want to advance your 50 1.4 purchase for the wedding. It comes down to canon or sigma. The sig is sharper at 1.4 to 2.2, from 2.2 to 2.8 they are tied, and form 2.8 up the canon is better. Either will let you get some nice shallow dof shots. And add a flash for the wedding. To save some money look at the nissin di866 off of ebay, very powerful fulled featured flash for 250 dollar there. And nissin comes with an international warranty. The canon eq of the nissin is almost 500 dollar in the 580exII. And the metz 58 AF-2 is 400.

Last edited by shoturtle; Apr 5, 2011 at 10:45 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2011, 11:05 PM   #3

Yeah, the 50 1.4 was something i had forgotten about until i typed up this original post. Hard to believe since the pentax version of it has been my most used lens.

If i buy it, i would use it mostly between 1.4 and 2.8. So i guess it sounds like the sigma would be my lens of choice. If i do end up getting it before the wedding in late september, is a flash really needed? I was slightly hoping i could go without it because i really don't like using flash, and i know nothing about them. With the pentax 1.4, i have been able to get a lot of nice shots indoors at night without flash.

It is something i need to consider buying before september.
Thanks
Old Apr 6, 2011, 12:47 AM   #4

I bought my 7D through CLP and it was a painless experience. My walk-around lens for the 7D is the 15-85 and I strongly recommend it to you - a very capable lens. I considered the Canon 24-70 f2.8, but partly because of cost and partly because I have heard of too many "bad copies" (I've actually seen one) I bought the Tamron 28-75 f2.8. Excellent lens optically, superb value, and so far I have no regrets. I'm quite happy with my 50 f1.8 and have no intention of "upgrading" to the f1.4. f1.8 is still a very fast lens, and shallow DoF means that it often isn't usable anywhere near wide open. On the 7D though that lens's only use will be as a moderate portrait lens - most of the time I use it on my 5D as a "traditional" standard lens. Lastly, I considered when I bought my 5D whether I wanted to spend a lot of money on a 70-200 f2.8 and decided I wouldn't use it much. By contrast I use my 100-400L a great deal, originally on the 5D and now primarily on the 7D (the main reason I bought the 7D - for its extra "reach"). So far I haven't been tempted to get the 70-200 (f2.8 - I can't see ANY point for me in getting the f4.0). It might be useful for an upcoming wedding I'm shooting, but I've been doing some experimenting and I think there's a good chance I wouldn't ever mount it on my camera (my 5D - I would never mount it on the 7D). So I'm certainly not going to buy it. If push comes to shove I can mount my 24-105L on my 7D (my main camera for the wedding will of course be the 5D) and that will give me FF 168mm equivalent at f4.0 - ample for any need I can envisage during wedding or reception. One lens I rather regret not buying, and for me it's too late now, is the Canon 100mm macro (I would probably have bought the expensive IS version). This could well have been fun during the preparation to get close-ups of the rings. Possibly I might have considered one of the Tamron/Sigma alternatives, though they're not much cheaper and I know the Canon is superb.

I also don't particularly like flash, but there are times (and a wedding is most certainly one of those times) when a fill-in flash can be highly desirable. I bought the Nissin Di866 and so far it's been superb.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 1:01 AM   #5
Super Moderator

My only advice is to think carefully about whether you want the 24-70 f2.8 instead of the EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS.

The 24-70 is an L lens, but it's not as sharp and doesn't have IS. If you were going 5D or 1D then I'd have nothing to say, but on the 7D you have left yourself without a wide angle option, and are opting for a 38-112mm equivalent. Perfect for some, pretty poor choice for most.

From your focal length choices you seem to prefer to not get too close to your subjects, which is fine and necessary for sports, etc. But you will find it somewhat limiting when trying to shoot a wedding for example.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 1:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbj7 View Post
(the main reason I bought the 7D - for its extra "reach")
could you explain this to me? extra reach? to be honest, i have not done too much research into the body.. mostly the lenses.. Does the 7d have a different "frame size"? (did i say that right?)
Old Apr 6, 2011, 1:06 AM   #7

i was typing my reply before i saw your post, peripatetic.

I feel like I'm missing something. I see a lot of event photographers, wedding photographers and many other professionals shooting with the 24-70L... but its a "poor choice for most"?

somebody fill me in! lol

EDIT: just an fyi, with my pentax gear, i have never shot with anything wider than the 50mm 1.4. So maybe i will be ok with the "38-112"?

Last edited by ewheeler20; Apr 6, 2011 at 1:09 AM.
ewheeler20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 1:17 AM   #8
Super Moderator

for group shots you may feel constrained with the 24-70 (38-112 fov). the 17-55 on the 7d gives you the FOV of 24-88ish which covers the normal zoom range of a full frame.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 1:42 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewheeler20 View Post
i was typing my reply before i saw your post, peripatetic.

I feel like I'm missing something. I see a lot of event photographers, wedding photographers and many other professionals shooting with the 24-70L... but its a "poor choice for most"?

somebody fill me in! lol

EDIT: just an fyi, with my pentax gear, i have never shot with anything wider than the 50mm 1.4. So maybe i will be ok with the "38-112"?
Because those pros are using 1D or 5D cameras mostly so get a different angle of view.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 9:02 AM   #10

The sig is the sharper lens at for what you want to use it for, just does not focus as fast as the canon.

Yeah, any good wed photog always has a flash on the camera.

PS
The canon is sharp at 1.4-2.2 but the sig is just a bit sharper. So do not take my post the wrong way that the canon is not a good lens. Which it is and it is almost 200 dollar less. And used it is 290 vs 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewheeler20 View Post
Yeah, the 50 1.4 was something i had forgotten about until i typed up this original post. Hard to believe since the pentax version of it has been my most used lens.

If i buy it, i would use it mostly between 1.4 and 2.8. So i guess it sounds like the sigma would be my lens of choice. If i do end up getting it before the wedding in late september, is a flash really needed? I was slightly hoping i could go without it because i really don't like using flash, and i know nothing about them. With the pentax 1.4, i have been able to get a lot of nice shots indoors at night without flash.

It is something i need to consider buying before september.
Thanks

Last edited by shoturtle; Apr 6, 2011 at 9:08 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote