Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 5, 2004, 9:14 PM   #1

Default 300D AF silly question

Ok... read the manual... did the little Canon on-line workshop... Still a little confused on AF...

I'm shooting gymnastics this weekend with my 300D for the first time, which means very dim lights and NO flash. I've got my 2.8 lens ready to go but what about AF on those quick moving little gymnists? I don't think that Sport Mode will be adequate since the iso maxs at 400. Yes, I'm willing to accept noise vs blur... so to use iso 800 or 1600 mean no sports mode. I'm thinking I should use Av mode... seem like in Av mode the 300D will detect a moving subject...

what do other people use when sports mode just doesn't cut it?

TIA,
john
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2004, 9:52 PM   #2

I would use Tv or Manual. Set the ISO to 800 or 1600, set the shutter speed to something reasonably fast, then see what the camera selects for the aperture.
SpeedyManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2004, 10:00 PM   #3

My problem is going to be focus... subject is always moving!

Using Tv or M it appears the that the AF locks while in Av it seems if the 300D detects motion it won't lock but keeps focusing... At least that's what I think is happening...

thanks,
john
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2004, 10:45 PM   #4

First, get that camera out of the basic mode and into shutter priority mode (which is the advanced sports mode :lol: ). Take control of your camera, don't let it control you. If you can obtain a shutter speed of 1/250 or greater, it's a moot point. Those kids are NOT that fast.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2004, 10:49 PM   #5

Default AI Servo

John, I shoot alot of geese inflight. This means early mornings and poor light. I shoot AV [aperture priority] lock the AF to center point ,change the single shot to AI servo which enables the tracking mode but does not limit you on ISO settings like using Sport mode does. I often have to use ISO 1600 to freeze a shot. By having the camera in AV I can monitor the shutterspeed and balance the fstop to freeze the action. The AI servo takes some getting used to but it will increase your un-blured keepers by 75%
This was AI servo, AV, Iso1600 f4 @ 1/500th. Yes I know the image is a little noisy due to the high ISO but the option is no shot at all.Good luck on your sports shots.
Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2004, 11:16 PM   #6
NHL

Unlike the 10D, the 300D Rebel does not have a separate single shot AF setting... Servo AF is only available in the Action Mode of the Basic Zone. In all other modes, ie P, Tv, Av, M, and A-Dep (ie Creative zone), the AF is always @ AI Servo: What this means is at theses settings the camera will select One Shot AF until it detects movement and automatically switches to Servo AF! 8)

Do not lift off the shutter release, or the AF will revert back to One Shot AF again! Keep the pressure on the 1st detent on the shutter release and the camera will start its Servo AF tracking the actions when it detects movement... The AF will work, but no more red indicator is lit up when Servo AF is enabled.

Check the reference table on page 122/123 of the 300D manual!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2004, 12:22 AM   #7

Tomsch,

Nice shot! While in AI servo, do you pan the camera with the geese in flight also? Do you use an IS lens? If so, what IS setting do you use (mode 1 or 2)?

Thanks,
Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2004, 8:19 AM   #8

Default IS?

I only have one lens with IS and it is far too slow to get the job done. The others are out of my price range. This was a Sigma 70-200 f2.8. I start panning with the geese as they take off and stay with one individual so the tracking can lock and I press the shutter release when I get the composition I want.
Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote