Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 29, 2011, 10:59 PM   #1

Default Adobe CS3 will not open Raw files from my new 7D

I got my new 7D tonight, rushed out and took 3 photos in CR2 Raw. Now my CS3 will not open them up! It says that they are incorrect files!

The photos open up in the Canon Software and Picasa! What the heck?

I checked on Adobe's site and the Raw Converter 4.6 is all that is compatible with CS3. What do I do now?

Dick
grandpawrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2011, 11:30 AM   #2

I found a work around for the time being! I'll just do a work around for now. I'll open the photos up with the Canon Software, Convert them into DNG files and send them to my CS3 for editing. It's a major pain in the rear, but at least I can still use CS3 with the files and I don't have to Pay Out Through the nose for the new software!

The weird thing is, Picasa opens up the RAW photos and it's a FREE Program!

Dick
grandpawrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2011, 8:06 PM   #3
Administrator

You can also use the free Adobe DNG Converter to convert them. Then, you can open the DNG files in CS3.

http://www.adobe.com/products/photos...html#downloads
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2011, 10:33 PM   #4

I had a similar issue. I received my T2i in the mail the day they were allowed to start selling them. Nothing would read the camera's RAW files. Eventually, Adobe offered a patch to let PSE open the RAW files, but the patch was incompatible with PSE 7, so I had to buy PSE 8.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2011, 9:30 AM   #5

Welcome to Adobe's attempts at forcing upgrades. It's the way they operate. I am using CS - simply not worth the hundreds of $$$ to upgrade. So I also use a different RAW converter on my 1dIII files.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 10:20 AM   #6

On one side, yes it is annoying!
On the other, why would you expect them to go back and constantly update older versions of their products.
The amount of new cameras being released all the time is simply phenomenal, maintaining the current version compatibility of their product probably takes enough effort.

What I ask is why do the manufacturers change the raw format all the time with each new body.

Myself I buy alternate upgrades cs,->cs3,->cs5 about every 3 years, LightRoom I have upgraded with every version.
About the same 3 year time frame I use to depreciate my bodies and replace them

Last edited by PeterP; May 4, 2011 at 10:22 AM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 11:02 AM   #7

Peter - with how raw conversion is implemented, there's no technical reason why older versions could not run the new updates. It's planned obsolescence - that's all. There's no added cost to them. Again, you're not talking about the core software here. This is just Adobe trying to nudge people along into buying expensive upgrades.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 6:19 PM   #8

Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Peter - with how raw conversion is implemented, there's no technical reason why older versions could not run the new updates. It's planned obsolescence - that's all. There's no added cost to them. Again, you're not talking about the core software here. This is just Adobe trying to nudge people along into buying expensive upgrades.
I agree with this is their tactic and simply just don't bother with it anymore. There are other programs that give me the results I want for far less money.
The key thing here is that it is what I am happy with and can live without Adobe Photoshop and their ridiculous upgrade scheme.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote