Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 7, 2004, 10:53 PM   #1

Default HELP w/ Rebel Pics!!!!

I took the dive a few weeks ago and bought the digital rebel with the kit lens. I've been shooting mostly basketball and have gotten fine results with the kit lens/photoshopping until the last 2 nights. Pics have been blurry and just awful. I'm using the same manual settings that produced the good pics. What could possibly be wrong? Is the kit lens going bad? Thanks for any help.
NNDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2004, 11:24 PM   #2
djb

post a pic and the experts here may be able to tell you if it is out of focus blur or motion blur due to too slow a shutter speed or camera movement.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2004, 8:53 AM   #3

My guess is that the blur is a result of camera shake. But without the settings information and seeing the pics, it's just an educated guess.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2004, 4:09 PM   #4

the same setting on picture quality too?

have you used the same focal length? The lense's sharpness can vary greatly, depending on what focal length you use.
LCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2004, 9:17 PM   #5

Thanks guys for trying to help with such little info. I may have solved the matter since I had another game tonight and the pics are excellent. I been using 420 flash with the camera in the manual mode and my best guess is that I had the shutter speed set too high for flash use and maybe the camera reverted back to 1/60th of a second. Tonight I only went as high as 200 (400 ASA) and the pics are fine. Could my theory be correct? I was worried about the 18-55 kit lens because I have read different opinions about it and yes I did shoot some of the "bad" pics at 55. Thanks for any additional input.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 9:41 AM   #6

The fastest allowable speed for the flash is 1/200. If you set it higher the flash doesn't work. In the old days people who made that mistake got images that were only partly there since the whole 'film' is not uncovered at the same time when using higher speeds. Modern camera designers decided it was better to make the camera not use the flash than to let you shoot images with part flashed and part not. Either way you don't get the photo.
dougsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2004, 10:51 AM   #7
NHL

Quote:
I been using 420 flash with the camera in the manual mode and my best guess is that I had the shutter speed set too high for flash use and maybe the camera reverted back to 1/60th of a second.
You can use faster shutter speed than 1/200s if you set the 420EX switch on FP; However like DougSmit has explained the intensity of the flash is reduced to stay on for a longer amount of time to cover the faster shutter's curtain slit... and your range will be more limited!

Don't worry about 1/60s, the flash pulse is much shorter than that, and that brief strobe action is what freezes the action!

What could possibly be happening is that you're shooting too fast between shots and the flash had no time recycling, and increasing the ISO speed up the recharging time between shots... and your results are more consistent. :?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2004, 7:28 PM   #8

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is FP? I did have the shutter set too high! I got great pics my last 2 games. Thanks for the help!
Old Jan 10, 2004, 9:43 PM   #9
NHL

FP Sync is the High-Speed Sync (the top right switch on the back of your 420EX). It stands for Focal Plane sync...

http://www.photozone.de/3Technology/flashtec5.htm
http://webs.lanset.com/rcochran/flash/hss.html
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 10:10 AM   #10

Default Focal Plane Synch

While the link provided by NHL does a great job of explaining FP Synch you might wnat to think twice before using it on fast moving subjects. In this mode the flash puts out a rapid series of weaker flashes so that all of the sensor (film) is exposed but still not all of it will be exposed at exactly the same time. This can result in some blurring or doubling when the subject moves even a little between the stroboscopic flashes. I believe the main use for this feature is flash fill when there is a lot of ambient light and you need to use a fast spped to prevent that light from overexposing the photo. This could be a help in a brightly lit sports arena but 1/200 and having the full blast from the flash all in one burst will generally suffice and be better for moving objects.
dougsmit is offline   Reply With Quote