Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 12, 2011, 3:10 AM   #1

Default Telephoto for EOS 550D

Hey guys, i recently bought an EOS 550D and have the kit lens 18 - 55mm but really want to get a stronger lens... i've been trying to find one that reaches atleast 300mm (more would be great) but quality is very important (however, so is the price)
I'm really not looking for a lens over $1000 as i just dont have the money for that....
1 of the lenses i came across was the Tamron 28 - 300mm (supposedly its actually 280mm) and it seems ok, but im really hoping to come across one that reaches 400mm (but with a low minimum focusing distance)... the Tamron i mentioned has a minimum focusing distance of something like 0.29m when at 300mm (i tried it yesterday and managed to get really close to the lizard)
however i noticed a lot of the others, the minimum is 1m or more....

can anybody suggest a strong, good quality and relatively cheap (1000 or less)???

thanks a lot
Tizianohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2011, 8:36 AM   #2

How do you intend to use the lens? For what type of photography? Be specific. If you say "wildlife", what types of wildlife? Birds in flight is different than birds at a bird feeder. Photos of large mammals can require less focal length than photos of tiny birds.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2011, 3:51 PM   #3

sorry i completely forgot to mention that... it will be mainly for wildlife such as birds in flight, tree, birds that are not easy to approach (and therefore might need to be a bit further away)... i took one of a lizard yesterday (was about 20cm away from it and filled the frame which was great)....
however i will also be using it for larger animals as i travel a lot, so it might come to lions and other large animals, but not close enough to use a 55mm
Tizianohc is offline   Reply With Quote