Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 19, 2011, 7:15 PM   #1

Default Soon to be new Canon SLR user, need lens advice

I have recently purchased a Canon Rebel XS with the 18-55mm kit lens. I am looking for advice on which brand of telephoto lens to choose. I looked at Tamron, Sigma, and Canon lenses and I am unsure which to chose. My budget limit for the lens is $200USD.
Canon EF-S 18-55mm
Canon EF-S 55-250mm
Canon EF-s 50mm
Olympus XZ-1
David_MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2011, 7:28 PM   #2

what are you planning to shoot with the lens?
Old May 19, 2011, 8:02 PM   #3

Landscapes, wildlife, vehicles.
Canon EF-S 18-55mm
Canon EF-S 55-250mm
Canon EF-s 50mm
Olympus XZ-1
Old May 19, 2011, 9:08 PM   #4

moving or none moving. If moving wildlife and vehicles. The low end lenses do not focus fast enough allot of time for faster moving subjects. Wildlife depends on what type. Small birds 300mm is still to short allot of times.

I would move up to a higher end lens like the canon ef 70-300 IS USM or the tamron 70-300 VC USD on the no super expensive side. Something in the 400mm would be much better for the wildlife. And something with a USM canon, USD tamron, or HSM sigma would let the lens focus faster.

The lower price lens are very soft on the long end like the tamron and sigma sub 200 dollar lens. The canon ef-s 55-250 is much sharper, but would be short for some of the wildlife it they are small. And they all do not focus particularly fast.

For none moving and landscape and general photography on the low price zooms, I would go with the canon ef-s 55-250. As it is optically the best in the price range.

Last edited by shoturtle; May 19, 2011 at 9:10 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2011, 9:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
moving or none moving. If moving wildlife and vehicles. The low end lenses do not focus fast enough allot of time for faster moving subjects. Wildlife depends on what type. Small birds 300mm is still to short allot of times.

I would move up to a higher end lens like the canon ef 70-300 IS USM or the tamron 70-300 VC USD on the no super expensive side. Something in the 400mm would be much better for the wildlife. And something with a USM canon, USD tamron, or HSM sigma would let the lens focus faster.

The lower price lens are very soft on the long end like the tamron and sigma sub 200 dollar lens. The canon ef-s 55-250 is much sharper, but would be short for some of the wildlife it they are small. And they all do not focus particularly fast.

For none moving and landscape and general photography on the low price zooms, I would go with the canon ef-s 55-250. As it is optically the best in the price range.
Most of the wildlife I shoot is stationary, I just want a good all around telephoto. Although with the new Canon I would be practicing with manual focus more that auto-focus, my previous SLR was a 1983 Canon AE-1 Program and I got pretty good at fast manual focus with that camera. The canon 55-250 is the one I was strongly considering because it is a of the brand and that lens is readily available at most stores that sell SLRs here.
Canon EF-S 18-55mm
Canon EF-S 55-250mm
Canon EF-s 50mm
Olympus XZ-1
Old May 19, 2011, 11:59 PM   #6

Most consumer DSLR's like the rebels do not have the "split image focus screen" that the old film cameras had.
IE: there is nothing on the focusing screen to assist you with attaining manual focus so it is not so easy to do.
It can be done!
By placing an active AF point over your intended target and manual adjusting focus until the focus lock indicator comes on in the viewfinder.
A bit slow tedious and the cameras electronics are usually much faster at gaining focus.

Quote:
Although with the new Canon I would be practicing with manual focus more that auto-focus, my previous SLR was a 1983 Canon AE-1 Program and I got pretty good at fast manual focus with that camera.
Old May 20, 2011, 7:39 AM   #7

I know that the XS does not have the split image focusing screen that my AE-1 did but as with everything I have to practice with the manual focus to get better at it.
Thanks for all your guy's help.
Canon EF-S 18-55mm
Canon EF-S 55-250mm
Canon EF-s 50mm
Olympus XZ-1