Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 31, 2011, 11:04 AM   #1

Default T2i focal length/lens questions

I have two questions on the T2i, one easy and one unanswerable. Easy first: is there any way to see the focal length of a picture when reviewing pictures in camera? I know I can see it in Aperture or other programs, but I am wondering if there is a way to see it quickly in the camera itself. I'm trying to figure out what portions of my current zoom lens I use the most, to help me decide on an upgrade.

I'm currently trying to choose between the 17-55 and the 24-70. I already have the 18-55 kit lens, but I am specifically looking for a faster lens. I have the nifty fifty and have been using that almost exclusively for the last few months, with my main complaint being that it is not wide enough to easily take indoor pictures of my son. I also want my new lens, whatever it is, to be a good walkaround lens. I've been leaning towards the 17-55 for that reason, and because it seems like the 24-70 is a walkaround lens for a lot of people with a full frame camera, so the 17-55 would be a good equivalent on a clipframe. Plus, while this has pros and cons, it is specifically designed for a clipframe, whereas the 24-70 is not, and is heavier and more expensive. That said, if there is something important I haven't considered about getting the 24-70 instead, I'd appreciate the feedback.

I have also looked at the 17-55 Sigma and Tamron equivalents, with IS and without. Obviously, even at the high end, those are far cheaper than the Canon lens. I'm not a professional, and I would love to save the money. The only thing stopping me is repeated reports of focusing issues with all of those third party lenses. At my level of development, I would have a hard time knowing if out of focus pictures were my fault or the camera's. I am really aiming to become good enough to take those gorgeous portraits with the super-clear eyes. Even though those lenses are cheaper, they are still several hundred dollars. I don't want to spend several hundred dollars on a lens to find that it is the lens that is the problem!

Appreciate any and all thoughts ...

Last edited by smgord; May 31, 2011 at 4:20 PM. Reason: clarity and grammar
smgord is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2011, 12:53 PM   #2

I wonder if you could use a good flash in conjunction with your kit lens. The kit lens works well, and a strong flash could take care of the lighting. An extra 2/3rd of a stop by going to a f2.8 lens may not be enough to make the difference over the existing f3.5 kit lens.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2011, 1:29 PM   #3

Not an in camera solution but wega2 (freeware) contains a module called exposure plot that will look at a directory of jpg's and plot out your focal length usage as well as aperture.
http://www.wega2.vandel.nl/

It was developed for winXP but seems to work on Vista and 7.

[QUOTE=smgord;1230379]I have two questions on the T2i, one easy and one unanswerable. Easy first: is there any way to see the focal length of a picture when reviewing pictures in camera? I know I can see it in Aperture or other programs, but I am wondering if there is a way to see it quickly in the camera itself. I'm trying to figure out what portions of my current zoom lens I use the most, to help me decide on an upgrade.
/QUOTE]
Old May 31, 2011, 4:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa_jim View Post
I wonder if you could use a good flash in conjunction with your kit lens. The kit lens works well, and a strong flash could take care of the lighting. An extra 2/3rd of a stop by going to a f2.8 lens may not be enough to make the difference over the existing f3.5 kit lens.
But the kit lens isn't a constant 3.5. It goes to 5.6 at some focal lengths. I take your point though -- I am getting used to the nifty fifty at 1.8 (although I sometimes shoot slower than that), and I didn't really think about the fact that the new lens still wouldn't open up that wide.
smgord is offline   Reply With Quote