Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 6, 2011, 1:18 PM   #1

Default What am I doing wrong? CC please

I'm having problems with landscape photos. I went yesterday evening to take some shots of the Sunset. Most of my photos are very noisy. I can't figure out what the problem is. The data for these shots is; 1st photo: f/10, 1/20, ISO 800 @ 18mm. 2nd photo: f/7.1, 1/80, ISO 800 @ 18mm. 3rd photo: f/8, 1/320, ISO 400 @ 55mm. I used a higher ISO since there wasn't very much light. Should I have used a lower ISO? I also made sure that I turned off the image stabilizer since I used a tripod. Please help!

Lonestarlady61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2011, 2:57 PM   #2

There is no exif information on your pictures. It would be good to know camera, lens, etc.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 4:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnan View Post
There is no exif information on your pictures. It would be good to know camera, lens, etc.
Rebel T1i, Canon 18-55mm and 55-250mm.
Lonestarlady61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 6:19 AM   #4

There's a trick to taking sunset pictures. Underexpose them. I'm guessing that the camera was straining to hit the 18% grey exposure level, resulting in a high iso, high noise situation.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 11:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa_jim View Post
There's a trick to taking sunset pictures. Underexpose them. I'm guessing that the camera was straining to hit the 18% grey exposure level, resulting in a high iso, high noise situation.
The last time I went for sunset shots I did underexpose by 1/3 and most of the photos were noisy. I didn't turn off the stabilizer on that trip though. Thanks so much for your CC. I'll keep practicing and reading up on how to get good sunset shots.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 3:32 PM   #6
Super Moderator

If you are using a tripod then there is no reason to use higher ISO, set your ISO to 100 or 200.

But those pictures don't look particularly noisy to me. What exactly do you mean when you say they are noisy? How are you determining that? What size prints are you making?
Old Jun 7, 2011, 5:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
If you are using a tripod then there is no reason to use higher ISO, set your ISO to 100 or 200.

But those pictures don't look particularly noisy to me. What exactly do you mean when you say they are noisy? How are you determining that? What size prints are you making?
Thanks for your CC. So, even in low light I can get away with 100-200 ISO? I assumed that since it was almost dark I would need to increase the ISO. I can see the noise when I view the image full size. No plans for doing any prints from these shots. I'm just a newbie, trying to learn how to get better landscape and sunset shots.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 10:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestarlady61 View Post
Thanks for your CC. So, even in low light I can get away with 100-200 ISO? I assumed that since it was almost dark I would need to increase the ISO. I can see the noise when I view the image full size. No plans for doing any prints from these shots. I'm just a newbie, trying to learn how to get better landscape and sunset shots.
You would only need to use a higher ISO in lowlight if you were holding the camera with your hand and flash photography was out of the question. Since you are using a tripod you can use a lower ISO and a slower shutter speed which will give you less noise but still have a good photo.
Canon EF-S 18-55mm
Canon EF-S 55-250mm
Canon EF-s 50mm
Olympus XZ-1
David_MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 2:19 AM   #9
Super Moderator

When shooting on a tripod, as long as you don't have high winds and the camera is steady you can have as long a shutter speed as you like. So use the lowest ISO you can.

Viewing at 100% is good for judging noise, sharpening, etc. However - you are looking at the image under a magnifying glass when you do that.

Don't forget that when you output for the web the equivalent is usually around 10-20% magnification and when printing you are usually at around 30-50% magnification. If the picture looks good at those magnifications you have done your job well and really should not be concerned about what is visible at 100%.

Also for the kind of pictures you posted you might actually be finding some real colour that looks like noise. Sunsets produce a lot of weird and wonderful colours in the clouds and water - so you may be over-estimating the amount of actual noise that you are seeing.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 6:38 PM   #10

" I'm just a newbie, trying to learn how to get better landscape and sunset shots".....

Whether a newbie or not, these images are not too bad at all! And well worth some editing.
The points already mentioned re ISO are good; in the future you can shoot at a lower ISO. I feel that some application of noise reduction is almost a must for digital images, especially for night shots. I have used Neat Image for years, use NR within Lightroom, and also use NIK NR, as the situations arise.

My T2i will switch off IS when a tripod is used, does that apply with your T1i?
canuckdave is offline   Reply With Quote