Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 19, 2011, 3:14 PM   #1

Default Flash Sync issues 1D Mark III

I've been having sync issues with my Nissin Di866 professional & my 1dmkiii. Any ideas on what would cause this? Below is a sample image.
Attached Images

Old Jun 19, 2011, 4:19 PM   #2
Administrator

Well... you're borderline on what the x-sync speed is.

It's 1/300 second (what that photo was taken at) using a Canon EOS flash. But, it's only 1/250 second with other shoe mount flashes. See the shutter section in it's specs:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...review-10.html

So, you probably need to use something slower than 1/300 second with that flash, since 1/300 is probably not setting it to FP mode if you want it to sync without pulsing the light. I'd see what you get at 1/250 or 1/200. It will probably sync OK then.

Or, if you want to use FP Mode (high speed sync) with that flash, you'll probably need to go with a shutter speed that's faster than 1/300 second so that the camera tells the flash to use FP mode (as it's probably treating it the same way it treats a Canon flash and not using FP mode for 1/300 second, resulting in your sync problem since that flash probably won't work properly at 1/300 second with your camera unless fp mode is being used, and my guess is that it's not being used).

From what I can see in the manual for the flash, if the Di866 is in Auto or TTL modes, FP mode should be controlled by the camera. See page 31.

www.nissindigital.com/files/en_di866n_users_manual_n0310rev1.0.pdf

If you're not seeing HSS in the flash display, then the camera is probably not triggering the use of FP mode

So, I'd go slower (try 1/250 or 1/200) and see if it syncs OK without FP mode (focal plane shutter, a.k.a. high speed sync). Or if not, go with something faster than 1/300 and see if the camera triggers FP mode.

IOW, you probably picked a shutter speed (1/300 second) that's incompatible with some external flashes (too fast to sync without using fp mode, too slow for the camera to trigger the use of fp mode).

That flash is on camera, right? If not, then all bets are off (as it's my understanding that the Nissin flash units do *not* support wireless HSS, so you'd need to stick with slower shutter speeds if using an on camera flash to trigger one). Also, radio triggers usually add delay if you're triggering a flash that way (resulting in slower than usual x-sync speeds).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2011, 6:08 PM   #3

That makes sense. I usually works fine @ 1/300, but this happens occasionally. Yes, the flash is on camera. I'll try the faster shutter speed to see if the camera will trigger the FP mode.
Thanks!