Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:08 AM   #1

Default Looking to get a Canon DSLR body but which and where?

First off...I need to identify the best match in the Canon EOS line-up that would be comparable to the Pentax K-5/Nikon D7000?

I am looking at the possibility of testing out a new format. I am looking at the purchaing a USED Canon DSLR body and standard kit lenses ranging from 18/300 to test. I was wondering if someone could point me to the best location to purchase Canon equipment? I would buy new, but if I discover the fomat is not for me, it is impossible to recoup your losses.

I am currently a Pentax user and I have been considering the jump to the K-5, but thought maybe I should test out the competition in addition to purchasing the K-5 and then figure out what I like th best before I commit to long term to a format. I am actually going to probably buy a Sony, Canon and Nikon to test before I go all in with the K-5...so if you know reputable sites to buy these items used at reasonable rates that would be great. I have leaned away from eBay since their fees have continued to go up. I typically buy all of my equipment on the pentaxforums, and was just wondering if there was something like this out there with a really active community and marketplace for the other formats.

Any information is helpful.

-mackloon
mackloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2011, 11:02 AM   #2

I have used these two buy/sell forums to get all of my canon equipment. Extremely reliable nice people with feedback systems. I too switched from Pentax to Canon a few months back. I have bought over 5k worth of stuff from mostly POTN:

POTN

FredMiranda

Enjoy!
Old Jun 24, 2011, 12:15 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. I will defininitely check it out. What would be a comprable body to match the K-5/D7000/A55 against. I am sure that the A55 is not the best match, but I am interested in the SLT tech...

Anyone here trying to sell a kit on the cheap so I can give Canon a whirl?
mackloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2011, 1:25 PM   #4

Canon 7D.
It's what I have.

If all you want to do is "give canon a whirl"... try renting:

borrowlenses
prophotorental
cameralensrentals

Last edited by ewheeler20; Jun 24, 2011 at 1:28 PM.
ewheeler20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2011, 10:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackloon View Post
First off...I need to identify the best match in the Canon EOS line-up that would be comparable to the Pentax K-5/Nikon D7000?
The mid-to-high end Canon models with APS size sensor are the 60D and the 7D.
Both are reviewed on Steve's.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/canon/
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote