Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 20, 2011, 2:10 AM   #1

Default what's your thoughts on the 60d

Oops...posted this once in the point and shoot by accident. Thinking of dropping the coin on the 60d and wanted to hear your thoughts on this fella. Not sure if I will buy the kit or only the body and get a separate lens. Thinking of the 15-85 IS USM lens. Thanks for any advice and it is greatly appreciated.
crlindstrom87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2011, 3:46 AM   #2

The 60d is a fine camera and so is the 15-85 lens
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 9:29 AM   #3
Super Moderator

I have both. It is really a very flexible kit. Love the camera, hits a nice middle-ground in size, and the swivel LCD is handy, esp HD video recording. The lens stays on the camera A LOT, 15mm is plenty wide for most of my landscape and the range to 85mm covers most walkabout situations and its very sharp, good contrast, great lens for the price.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 4:06 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Yup excellent combo, probably just about the best overall price/performance combo that Canon do.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 8:42 PM   #5

Nice combo if they meet your photographic requirements.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:01 PM   #6

It is a very good camera, allot of performance for the money. Very fast AF system, good long burst interval, with a pretty good fps rate. Body is very robust, it can take allot of bouncing around with all the traveling I do with it.

And the 15-85 is a very good lens, almost L level quality. And for a crop body the Focal Length is very useful.

Like others have said an excellent combo, that is very hard to beat. Especially with the price point canon fit this camera in.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 1:33 AM   #7

Thanks so much for all the feedback. I really do appreciate it. I thought about going a bit cheaper and getting the T3i, however, I would be settling on what I don't really want. That being said, the 60d is only a couple hundred bucks more and well worth it in my own opinion and by the sounds of it, you all would agree with me. I am planning on taking a lot of photos in the woods (wildlife) and scenery. I will probably do a little landscaping down in Detroit as I live close by and the city has a lot to offer even though it's not exactly a safe, clean city. Thanks again, and keep any other suggestions coming. Take care and thanks again.
crlindstrom87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 1:52 AM   #8

The better af system of the 60D will make wildlife shooting alot easier. All the AF points on the 60D are cross type unlike the t3i where only the center one is. So you get excellent AF tracking when you choose a off center point to frame your shot to the way you want. The rebels off center tracking is hit or miss.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 1:56 AM   #9

I just ordered the 60D body and will order the lens in the up coming week. Can't WAIT to get it and start shooting some photo's. I have a lot of creative ideas and hope to get into a business of selling my photos after a few years. Thanks again!
Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:09 AM   #10

I went with the 60D body last xmas and opted for the 15-85 Lens - it is an awesome combination and i haven't looked back! Lots to learn with it, lots to play around with, it really packs a punch. Ergonomically i love it in hand.

Enjoy!
rothwellsmith is offline   Reply With Quote