Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 30, 2011, 10:26 PM   #1

Default Old Lenses New Camera?

I did a brief search in this Canon forum and didn't find my answer. My apologies if this topic has been discussed to death, already...

My sweetie bought me a Canon EOS Rebel T3 1100D; it came with a kit lens. I'm pretty happy with the kit lens, but I had all the lenses I wanted for my old SLRs (macro, telephoto zoom and wide angle), which are Minoltas and I really miss the flexibility that my lenses gave me. If I recall correctly, Minolta and Canon are not compatible (but please correct me if I'm wrong!)

Anyways, I've noticed that the EF and EF-S lenses that Canon suggests I use are really expensive; and I would happily give up AF, if it meant that I could get cheaper lenses that will work with my camera. So, my question is, will old Canon-compatible lenses work on my new camera? Or am I just going to have to bite the bullet and get the EF/EF-S lenses?

Thanks for your help!
JeannieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2011, 8:15 AM   #2
Administrator

Canon's older manual focus lenses use a totally different lens mount (FD versus EF). They'd require an adapter with optical elements (which would act as a Teleconverter) in order to allow focus to infinity; and the optical elements would degrade image quality.

You could do the same thing with your Minolta lenses (mount them via an adapter) if they are Manual Focus (MD/MD mount) lenses? But, the same thing would apply. The adapter would need optical elements to allow focus to infinity, which would degrade image quality.

Here's an article on the subject:

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...focus_EOS.html

You can find adapters at popular vendors: Examples:

http://www.adorama.com/CZFDEOS.html

http://www.amazon.com/Minolta-lens-C.../dp/B000YD77KE

But, given the requirement for optical elements that act as teleconverters to allow focus to infinity, and image degradation as a result, I'd probably save your pennies and buy AF lenses instead if trying to use your old Minolta lenses on a Canon.

Note that if your Minolta lenses are Autofocus, then they won't work via an adapter (since you'd have no way to control the aperture). That adapter is for Minolta MC/MD mount manual focus lenses (which uses a totally different lens mount compared to Minolta Autofocus (Maxxum, Dynax) lenses. But, you can use any Minolta Autofocus Lens on any Sony dSLR body (and have autofocus and stabilization with them).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2011, 12:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Canon's older manual focus lenses use a totally different lens mount (FD versus EF). They'd require an adapter with optical elements (which would act as a Teleconverter) in order to allow focus to infinity; and the optical elements would degrade image quality.
Shoot! That's what I was afraid of!

Yeah, my old Minolta lenses are manual focus. But, if there's going to be an issue with image quality degradation, then I won't even try. I really didn't think I'd be able to use the Minolta lenses, at all. I was just keeping my fingers crossed that MAYBE I would be able to use older Canon - or Canon-compatible - lenses.

Thanks for the link to the article! I'll go read it now.

You've been a big help, Jim; and I really appreciate it! Thank you!
Old Aug 1, 2011, 4:03 PM   #4

G'day Jeannie

Another side to the same issue is that "technology moves on as time goes on..."
Today's designs & the machinery making lenses has improved markedly over the past decade [or two] and today's lenses are different, sharper, have better colour control, etc etc etc than those of the 80s & 90s

Thus it is often easier to use the old lenses as paperweights [tears & shouts] rather than trying to re-use them on a new camera body

Hope this helps
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2011, 7:36 PM   #5

I know... It's just such an investment!

Well, as much as I hate to do it, maybe I can sell all my old gear to buy ONE lens for this camera...

Okay, I'm off to have a little cry now...
Old Aug 2, 2011, 7:44 PM   #6

hello
i think its worth a try
you can get an adaptor and give it a shot
since you own a series of lenses and are familiar with manual focus, why not give it a try, who knows you may excel or even better still get some unique effects with the older lenses
check out ebay for some adaptors either minolta to coanon eos
or maybe even a canon FD to EOS
try this site on ebay FOTOFOREASY or FOTO4EASY
pretty darn good prices
good luck
pete
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2011, 12:46 AM   #7

Thanks, Pete!

I see the adapters aren't all that expensive... It might be worth a try.

Old Aug 19, 2011, 9:49 PM   #8

I went ahead and bought a Minolta MD to Canon EF adapter. This is one of my first test shots.

Please excuse how filthy my laptop is... I had no idea it was so dirty until I saw this picture! Ugh! (Yes, I seriously need glasses)

This was taken with my 28-80mm 1:3.5-4.5 macro/zoom lens. Manual focus. I don't remember what the aperture was, but I think it was 3.5 (set on lens). I believe the shutter speed was set to 1/15. Pop-up flash was used. All-in-all, not bad.

I tried my 28mm 1:2.8 wide-angle lens outside and it was just all bad - couldn't get the focus correct (even though it looked okay through the viewfinder) and the lens was either too fast or too slow - no middle ground, at all.

I haven't tried any other lenses, yet.

Last edited by JeannieBug; Aug 19, 2011 at 10:00 PM. Reason: To add what data I can remember...