Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 8, 2011, 5:30 PM   #1

Default Question?

Hey right now I have the 5D II EF 16-35 2.8 L II, EF 24-105 IS L, EF 100 2.8 IS L Macro, EF 70-200 2.8 IS L II, and a bunch of other goodies and really love Canon as a system,, but the other day I was playing around with my friends D300s (though IQ does not compete with the 5D II) but the stuff Nikon have in menu like the interval timer, Multiple exposure up to 9 images then it sandwiches them together into 1 (that completely blew me away at the effects I got shooting flowers) also the filter effects Nikon have and kind of makes me mad that Canon does not have these features now I know you will say ''hear of Photoshop'' but why not get those things done in Camera?, I don't know if I am going through a grass looks greener on the other side kind of thing, but Nikon is announcing new cameras August 24th (and it is just a thought of mine) was thinking of selling my canon gear and going Nikon but I am also thinking I might regret it and run back to Canon, what is your opinion? also has anyone went Nikon and returned back to Canon? thanks
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2011, 5:39 PM   #2

My Nikon D5000 has some of that stuff on it. The real problem is your cant see the results on the back of the camera like you would on a computer screen. And most of those effects have very little in the way of user adjustments. The one I do think is cool is the star screen filter effect. Ive been looking for a good but inexpensive PS plug in for that but so far no luck.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2011, 9:40 PM   #3

Hello Hercules!

Long time no hear- but good to connect with you online here again.

Well you certainly have pieced a great Canon camera kit together. The lenses you list cover a very useful range, for a great camera, the Canon 5D II. I haven't gone full frame, but rather I have a Canon 7D with a rather similar range of lenses, my most used lenses being the Sigma 10-20mm, 15-85mm IS and 70-300mm L IS zooms and then a few primes, eg 100mm 2.8 macro, 50mm f1.8. I also really like Canon as a system, and it has a lot of great lenses and scope for photographic development.

At the same time I hear what you're saying - that there are some features in Nikon's systems that would be nice to have in Canon. You mentioned a few of them:
1. interval timer. I bought a Hahnel wireless timer remote, which I can use for both my Canon 7D and my 350D also. While it would be nice to have an interval timer in-camera, the wireless remote does provide some additional functionality.
2. more multiple exposure bracketing. Most of the time I use a 3 frame setting which can produce great HDRs. However, sometimes more photos would be beneficial.

Like many techniques, I've found that by spending 15 minutes thinking about settings and practising for 30 minutes, one can work out how to effectively incorporate a technique in actual shooting environments. For example, I've set up the "my menu" system, so it's very quick to adjust to take the next 3 shots to cover more latitude. So I can take 6 or 9 multi exposure bracketed photos at the scroll of the rear wheel.

Hopefully Canon will incorporate both interval timing and a larger number of exposure bracketing in future camera bodies, (eg 5D mk III or 7D II). Competition and innovations are usually good for the end consumer at the end of the day.

I rarely use filter effects. When I do require any post-processing work, I prefer to have more control over them, as tjsnaps indicated in his post. I've found dedicated software almost invariably produces a higher quality and more customisable during the process. And again, when I use programs (eg Photomatix or some other post processing effects) - by learning the software and often using batch procedures, it actually works out quicker in the end than doing it in camera (plus I prefer to keep original image files, separate, post process - and save output in files - that is important for the way I use and save my photography on my computers and hard-drives).

Hercules, you'll probably realise I'm not a Canon fan boy. I have used Nikon cameras (and other brands) a number of times. The other week I used a Nikon D90, and I've used a Nikon D300s before too. Overall I prefer the image quality of the Canon bodies over the Nikons, and the focus system of the 7D is the best suited to my photo shooting preferences. The ergonomics of the 7D is the best of any camera I've handled (I realise that's a personal preference).

I do hope that some other people will comment, and provide their perspective between Canon and Nikon systems in regards to what you've written above, Hercules. There is never going to be an absolutely perfect camera, but the advances in recent years really has raised the bar. Hopefully the upcoming rounds of Canon and Nikon announcements will let the consumers be winners, with them listening to our requests for updates and inclusions.

Regards

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2011, 4:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsnaps View Post
My Nikon D5000 has some of that stuff on it. The real problem is your cant see the results on the back of the camera like you would on a computer screen. And most of those effects have very little in the way of user adjustments. The one I do think is cool is the star screen filter effect. Ive been looking for a good but inexpensive PS plug in for that but so far no luck.
I am sure you will find one, but Canon is starting to put filters in menu like on the 60D which is nice thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj1974 View Post
Hello Hercules!

Long time no hear- but good to connect with you online here again.

Well you certainly have pieced a great Canon camera kit together. The lenses you list cover a very useful range, for a great camera, the Canon 5D II. I haven't gone full frame, but rather I have a Canon 7D with a rather similar range of lenses, my most used lenses being the Sigma 10-20mm, 15-85mm IS and 70-300mm L IS zooms and then a few primes, eg 100mm 2.8 macro, 50mm f1.8. I also really like Canon as a system, and it has a lot of great lenses and scope for photographic development.

At the same time I hear what you're saying - that there are some features in Nikon's systems that would be nice to have in Canon. You mentioned a few of them:
1. interval timer. I bought a Hahnel wireless timer remote, which I can use for both my Canon 7D and my 350D also. While it would be nice to have an interval timer in-camera, the wireless remote does provide some additional functionality.
2. more multiple exposure bracketing. Most of the time I use a 3 frame setting which can produce great HDRs. However, sometimes more photos would be beneficial.

Like many techniques, I've found that by spending 15 minutes thinking about settings and practising for 30 minutes, one can work out how to effectively incorporate a technique in actual shooting environments. For example, I've set up the "my menu" system, so it's very quick to adjust to take the next 3 shots to cover more latitude. So I can take 6 or 9 multi exposure bracketed photos at the scroll of the rear wheel.

Hopefully Canon will incorporate both interval timing and a larger number of exposure bracketing in future camera bodies, (eg 5D mk III or 7D II). Competition and innovations are usually good for the end consumer at the end of the day.

I rarely use filter effects. When I do require any post-processing work, I prefer to have more control over them, as tjsnaps indicated in his post. I've found dedicated software almost invariably produces a higher quality and more customisable during the process. And again, when I use programs (eg Photomatix or some other post processing effects) - by learning the software and often using batch procedures, it actually works out quicker in the end than doing it in camera (plus I prefer to keep original image files, separate, post process - and save output in files - that is important for the way I use and save my photography on my computers and hard-drives).

Hercules, you'll probably realise I'm not a Canon fan boy. I have used Nikon cameras (and other brands) a number of times. The other week I used a Nikon D90, and I've used a Nikon D300s before too. Overall I prefer the image quality of the Canon bodies over the Nikons, and the focus system of the 7D is the best suited to my photo shooting preferences. The ergonomics of the 7D is the best of any camera I've handled (I realise that's a personal preference).

I do hope that some other people will comment, and provide their perspective between Canon and Nikon systems in regards to what you've written above, Hercules. There is never going to be an absolutely perfect camera, but the advances in recent years really has raised the bar. Hopefully the upcoming rounds of Canon and Nikon announcements will let the consumers be winners, with them listening to our requests for updates and inclusions.

Regards

Paul
Hey my friend how are you? I also had the 7D and it was a great camera, but on that multiple exposure I am not talking about bracketing for HDR which I am fine with what canon has but do wish they had more than 3 shot, but I am sure they will up it like on Nikons, here is what I mean about multiple exposure in menu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTaOnXb9v4s
luckily I found this free script that is neat but wished Canon included it in menu also on the interval timer I purchased this one http://www.phottixstore.com/store/wi...ixr-tr-90.html which is great, I really don't think I will go Nikon as you I find the IQ of Canon is better, my other friend has a Nikon D700 and I find the IQ out of my 5D II is better more detail, I remember a few yrs ago I sold my 40D and switched to Pentax only to come back to Canon 7 months later, so I will stay and just upgrade with new Canon Cameras lol take care Paul

Last edited by hercules; Aug 9, 2011 at 4:38 AM.
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote