Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 16, 2004, 11:33 AM   #1

Default Cold weather and digirebel battery hint.

Just an fyi, but if you're going out this weekend in the extreme cold that's seems to be here pack a second battery inside your jacket. Last weekend my battery drained to a quarter full after only 50 or so pictures and 40 minutes outside in minus 15 Celsius.

Everything else on the camera worked fine btw, which was a concern of mine. The only thing was my big zoom became harder to work with as it chilled.

I'm going to tape my tripod and monopod legs so that they don't chill my hands as much tomorrow.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2004, 12:10 PM   #2

Yep, cold weather and batteries are not the best of friends. You might try keeping your camera inside your coat whenever you aren't actually using it to extend your battery life a bit.

Thankful that I moved to a much milder winter. Those sub zero days aren't much fun regardless of what you're doing
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2004, 12:12 AM   #3

i have had a bit of battery fun the past couple days with my 10d. being brand new, i have purposefully put it in cold ect to see what it does. i have a digipower and canon battery for it, and both seem to last easily 250 pics in the cold. (i live in western MD) it has been around 20-30F here the past week.
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2004, 1:29 AM   #4

Good topic - I am going out to shoot a parade tomorow morning, its about 3 degrees out right now, hopefully it will warm up to 10 or 15 tomroow morning... Oh well .

I have 2 batterys, so hopefully it wont be to bad
shoelessone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2004, 4:41 PM   #5

I just went out for 6 hours in the cold New England weather (started at 9 degrees, but went up to an amazing 21. That doesn't include the 15 mile an hour winds) with my 10D today. After about 200 pictures the fully charged Canon battery (charged last night) put out an error code and wouldn't take a picture (but it powered other things.) The battery meter said it was at 1/2 power (or less) but not empty. I replaced it with my backup (not Canon, after market batter) and that lasted another 138 or so pictures until I stopped shooting. But it also said it was at 1/2 power on the battery meter. No error codes, but it wasn't as cold then.

I put the Canon on a charger when I got home and it started blinking 75% full immedately. So it clearly was the cold that made the camera read a low charge (not surprising.) The backup battery was in the car the whole time, so it was reasonably warm.

Normally I get about 300-400 pictures on one battery. So it cut about 1/2 the life from it.

I will probably get a battery pack, as this battery switch cost me some pictures of a rare Dark Morph adult male Broad Wing hawk. I am not happy.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2004, 8:38 PM   #6

Default Re: Cold weather and digirebel battery hint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa
.... I'm going to tape my tripod and monopod legs so that they don't chill my hands as much tomorrow.
Take a look in a building supply place for pipe wrap - the stuff that is put around hot water pipes. If you can find the right size, it is great stuff - light and well insulated. Duct tape goes a long ways toward fixing the wrong size.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2004, 12:33 AM   #7

Oh, I meant to include that info too. I use pipe insolation on mine. Not only does it help with the cold, but it also helps your shoulder. Your tripod won't carve a knotch into your colar bone (and I tape it into place with duct tape as well, the tripods I've got were too large for the insolation I found.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2004, 5:03 PM   #8
Administrator

I got a simple fix for that cold weather - battery problem. Just get on a plane and come on down here to Florida. It was a balmy 70F here today although a little rainy :lol:

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2004, 7:42 PM   #9

Steve...is it still a 2 stop exposure adjustment for Florida snow? ROFLOL
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2004, 10:11 PM   #10

It got up to a nice balmy zero (F, -18C) here today. Nice clean, crisp day with no bugs or stray dogs.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote