Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 30, 2011, 4:26 PM   #1

Default 5D still good enough ?

Hi Guys & Gals

I've got a photographer friend that currently shoots with a 40D and has a selection of lenses inc. 28mm f2.8 and 24-70f2.8. Now her predicament is that she's currently finding some clients asking whether shes using a FF DSLR and specifically a 5DMKII at the minimum. She was looking at several options including buying a 5DMKII or even switching to a D700 as she's worried that she will continue to loose potential new work. My own thoughts were that she should hold off from getting the 5DMK2 or even the D700 and rent them as both are due replacements soon or alternatively pickup a used 5DMk1 until Canon announce the MK111.

Is the 5D MK1 still good enough and a big enough step up from the 40D in terms of IQ and specifically high ISO and AF performance or should she just bite the bullet and get the MK2 knowing that there's a MKIII just around the corner?

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2011, 7:14 PM   #2

HarjTT,
I couldn't say for sure if it would be albeit is seems clients could tell if a FF camera was used over a crop sensor camera.. surely they would be able to tell if it were shot with a 5DMk1 vs. a 5DMkII. Personally my reply is as silly as the clients expectations of what camera is being used to shoot photographs. I am not saying your inquiry is silly, just the notion is all.
I don't have any idea if it would suffice for a client.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2011, 7:46 PM   #3

Sounds like the client has developed a metric for evaluating the quality of the photographer based on the quality of the gear. I imagine there are worse metrics to use, as not too many hacks pony up that kind of cash, but I'd think some example photos would be a better metric.

Alternately, they have an indelible impression that they need the legendary low light capabilities that come with the 5D2.

In either case, a person can either satisfy what the client thinks they want, or educate the client on what they really want.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2011, 8:23 PM   #4

Guys,

I've been pretty much lost for words after speaking to her and what to think of the clients and their need for a 5DMk2 or equivalent. Now I did ask her what would they say if she turned up with a D700 or a Leica M8 to an event ? The only thing that comes to mind is that they may have had some previous photographers using the 5DMk2 or an equivalent FF and so they have set that as their bench mark. I think the clients are corporate and particularity events based.

My thoughts about the 5D was that its still a pretty fine camera and that as a stop gap body it would be an upgrade in terms of IQ/high ISO (at least 1. stops) over the 40D and without the costs of the Mk2 - its currently 1600.00 = $2600.00 in the UK, so a fair chunk of money (just slightly less than the price of a E-5!)

Right now she's looking at borrowing a 5D to test with her lenses and the type of events to see whether its worth the effort and then making a decision what to do.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 4:08 AM   #5

I actually wonder if they could tell the difference between any camera if it wasnt badged, bit like people who have unbadged cars so you cant tell the model.
IMHO you choose a photographer for there work if you like it then you book them.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2011, 6:54 PM   #6

I'm meeting up with her soon, so I'll pass on everyones advise but I'm going to ask her why the clients (they inc. corporates and their events) are asking for a 5DMK2 or equivalent. If she gets a 5D M1, I'll ask her to tape up all of the logos apart from the 5D and I wonder if they'd notice the difference ? My E-3's is totally taped up and thats been for street shooting as I don;t want anyone to know what I shoot with, so its always makes me grin when people try to guess the make and model.

Her other concern regards both Mk1 and MK2's is how accurate the AF esp CAF compared to the 40D ? From her own descriptions of the 40's AF .. it seems to be as bad as my E-3's which really surprised me as Id always thought the Canon AF was pretty decent even in the XXD series of cams.

Harj

Last edited by HarjTT; Aug 31, 2011 at 6:58 PM.