Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 1, 2011, 12:08 PM   #1

Default Old Sigma Lens vs New Sigma lens for 7D

I am using a Canon 7D and looking to get a Sigma 120-300mm F/2.8 Lens For Canon. I found one on ebay for about 1200 to 1500. The guy said he bought it back in 2005 and Im wondering if its worth the money, or should I spend the extra to get a newer model?

Will be shooting sports - football, soccer, basesball, basketball, landscaping
edwardskev is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2011, 10:30 AM   #2

I would buy new but thats just me at least you have a warranty
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2011, 1:02 PM   #3

i use a sigma 120-300 2.8 (non DG version) with my 1dIII. Here is some information:

Sigma just re-designed the 120-300, so it now contains OS (sigma's version of image stabilization). Early reports from the field are quite positive. Of course, the price tag has jumped quite a bit.

The 120-300 is a great lens, but it isn't without it's flaws. First, it's really around 280mm - not a true 300mm. Second, you can count on it having front or back focus issues - which isn't as much a problem since you have micro focus adjust (my unit requires +8 on my body). It's not as sharp wide-open as the canon prime - but that's to be expected. And, it's not as fast to focus - though still quite fast. Mine has made me thousands of $$ so it can't be all bad Bottom line is - for a canon body it's better than anything other than the canon primes or newer 70-200 2.8 II. And it's zoom. So you're not going to do better with that reach until you move to 2 bodies and have 300mm or 400mm 2.8 on one and 70-200 on the other.

It's worth mentioning though that Sigma seems to have more of a per-unit quality control problem for their HSM lenses than Canon does for their L lenses. All of which means - I would be a little concerned with buying a used copy unless the seller has recent sports images taken with the lens. If they do, great. If not, it's a bit of a risk. The problem is, the new version costs more than $3000.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2011, 2:33 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice guys.

Quote:
Second, you can count on it having front or back focus issues - which isn't as much a problem since you have micro focus adjust (my unit requires +8 on my body).

I guess I am not sure what this is. Can you explain or point me to it on the 7D?

Now I am wondering do I get the Sigma 120-300 2k not 4k one over a Canon 70-200?

Last edited by edwardskev; Sep 2, 2011 at 2:35 PM.
edwardskev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2011, 7:53 AM   #5

the problem with a 200mm lens is it's only good for about 25 yards of reach. Too short for soccer or full field baseball. Even a bit short for football. Of course, the 120-300 2.8 is too long for basketball. Sorry, but there's no single lens that does every sport.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 8:58 AM   #6

I also have the older version of the 120-300 f/2.8 and it is giving 300 at the long end.
On my 5DmkII's it has no focus issues (no micro-adjustment needed), on my ancient 20D it backfocuses noticeably, on my wife's rebel it is dead on.
I run all my lens body combinations through the "lens-align pro" tool to verify things are working correctly.

I agree what you get can vary from one copy of the lens to another.

I find compared to my Canon L's it is very slow to focus, might be fixed on the new version.

<side-story>
I recently found an issue with my sigma 150 f/2.8 macro, it really struggles and hunts to auto focus in the low light of a forest. While my Canon 70-200 f/4 L just snapped into focus with no hunting in the low light at all. Issue was probably there all along, I just haven't noticed as I normally manually focus macro shots.

Makes me wonder a bit why a faster f/2.8 lens has trouble in low light where a slower f/4 doesn't
</side-story>

in any event if you buy used make sure to check it out for any focusing issues with your bodies.
If you buy new the Sigma warranties are very good!
(IMHO: I would buy it again if need be)

Last edited by PeterP; Sep 7, 2011 at 9:03 AM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote