Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 26, 2011, 4:06 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~RebelYell~ View Post
....I'm thinkin I should send it back to him ASAP- please tell me YOUR opinions!!!
If you aren't happy with it, that might be the best thing to do.

Quote:
EDIT: I also included a shot from my Rebel XSi with the 18-135mm IS, FL 50mm F8.0 for comparison.
They aren't the most inspiring shots, but comparing the Tamron and the
Canon 18-135mm at f/8, the Tamron certainly looks a bit sharper. Look at
the wire mesh windscreen and the tyre tread pattern. The exposure or the
light conditions are a bit different for the two shots. I would take a few
more test shots before you decide what to do.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 6:35 PM   #42

To be fair, your Canon 18-135 at 50mm and f/8.0 is pretty good. And in the intervening hour and a half between the shot with the Tamron and the shot with the Canon, lighting conditions have changed, so it's hard to see changes in detail between the two, but the Tamron looks pretty good. And what you're paying for is the f/2.8 thing. Because of the shallow Depth of Field, it's hard to guess what you actually focused on, but the trailer's safety chains in the Tamron f/2.8 shot look about as sharp as they do in the Canon f/8.0 shot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 10:34 PM   #43

Quote:
They aren't the most inspiring shots
What?! You don't like my neighbor's redneck racecar??? I know those shots stink- I was shooting from my upstairs window . Didn't have a lot of time to mess with it today. I dunno corkpix- I saw your photos and guess I expected more from this lens, granted I haven't really tested it that well yet. I keep recalling your castle photo and how CRISP and CLEAR it was!!! Seeing as it is a "grey market" lens would the IQ be worse than a lens from the USA? It physically looks brand new- hardly touched! Shipping aside, I saved over $100 off a new lens, and got a Speedlite instead of a 6 year warranty . Still have to play with that!

@ TCav-

I was focusing on the "license plate" every time. From across the street, the DoF should have been close to or at infinity at all F-stops right? After looking at all the pics 100%, and taking into account how harsh the sun was in the photos (not to mention a whole different camera for the lens comparision ) I haven't given this lens a fair shake, and not a shining example of photography from myself...

It's supposed to rain most of the day tomorrow, maybe I will try some inside shots (and play with the Speedlite). I just wanted some quick Yay or nay's so I know whether or not I should keep the lens. As always ALL your opinions are welcome!!!

~RebelYell~

Canon Rebel T1i
Canon EF-S 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS
Tamron SP 17-50MM F/2.8 Di II LD Aspherical (IF)
~RebelYell~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 3:24 AM   #44

At a distance of (my guess) about 30 feet, at f/8.0, the DoF would be almost 11 feet in front of the focus distance and over 37 feet behind it. But at f/2.8, the DoF would be not quite 5 feet feet in front of, and a little over 7 feet behind it. At 50mm and f/2.8, the Tamron isn't great, but it's still reasonable, and the smaller depth of field and the change in lighting make the comparision tough, but I don't see any reason to return the lens.

The Tamron 17-50/2.8 (in good working order) is a fine large aperture, standard zoom lens, but if you'll be using a Speedlite anyway, perhaps you don't really need what it has to offer.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 4:44 PM   #45

Quote:
What?! You don't like my neighbor's redneck racecar???
Sorry about the savage criticism

Quote:
I dunno corkpix- I saw your photos and guess I expected more from this lens,
I would expect it to be a bit sharper than the 18-135mm. It should also
show slightly better colour and contrast. Don't expect a radical improvement.
Kit lenses like the 18-135mm and the 18-55mm IS are pretty good these days.

Quote:
granted I haven't really tested it that well yet.
I would try a few more test shots before you come to any conclusions.
Also remember my previous comments about buyer remorse

Quote:
I keep recalling your castle photo and how CRISP and CLEAR it was!!!
Blackrock Castle is my standard test for lens sharpness and contrast.
I probably have some similar pictures taken with the 18-135mm. If I
can dig them up, I will post them here.

This one was taken with the 50mm f/1.8 II
http://pix.ie/corkpix/1632188/size/1600

This one was taken with one of my favourite lenses - the Canon 50mm
Compact Macro f/2.5. This is not a typical photo. It was made up from
three shots that were stitched together. Click on 'more sizes' to see
the full 29MP image.
http://pix.ie/corkpix/2484227/in/album/371364

Quote:
Seeing as it is a "grey market" lens would the IQ be worse than a lens from the USA?
I don't think so. I bought mine from Simply Electronics in Hong Kong.

Quote:
It physically looks brand new- hardly touched! Shipping aside, I saved over $100 off a new lens, and got a Speedlite instead of a 6 year warranty . Still have to play with that!
If it looks ok and we have seen that the images are a little sharper
than the 18-135mm, it probably is perfectly fine.

Quote:
It's supposed to rain most of the day tomorrow, maybe I will try some inside shots (and play with the Speedlite).
A dark and cloudy day is probably a good time to test a fast lens. Good
luck with the Nissin. They seem like a good solid flash for the price.

Last edited by corkpix; Sep 27, 2011 at 4:55 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:44 PM   #46

Thank you corkpix for the comments and words of encouragement! The weather broke so I decided to go shoot some stuff

https://picasaweb.google.com/1083802...eat=directlink

ME LIKEY!!!

Just some random stuff while I was out running errands. For some reason I have been gravitating towards cemetarys lately??? I hope that doesn't make me morbid . While not my greatest work, I think I can work with this lens. For me, this is a whole new camera AND lens- with my XSi + 18-135mm I could walk up to anything and shoot it with EXCELLENT results! Like I read somewhere- an extention of my arm.

On a side note; I don't know why the 18-135mm gets such a bad rap?!?! I really like it! The IS is rock solid- it works really well. I may even end up using that more all-around, who knows??? In my Picasa the album "Lighthouses" was shot with the T1i + 18-135mm! I think those photos look pretty good . I will keep it until I get close to enough for the 70-200 L lens, then sell it. Anyhoo- *end of rant*

Oh, and just for the record- I didn't have buyers remorse, I had buyer-thought-he-got-a-piece-of-crap-lens piss-off-ed-ness . I hope ya know I'm just messin with ya!!! I don't particularly care for the racecar myself, especially when he is revin the crap out of it .

I can see why you would pick the castle for your standard test- those photos are amazing!!!

Also tried using the Speedlite today- it's not working properly (I think?). As far as I know it's just mount and shoot? I only got one pic with the flash- it wouldn't fire any other time??? I even tried it on the XSi, same results. It is compatable with both (checked before buying), and when I go into the external flash settings menu it says "flash is off or incompatable" or something like that. I got the menu to show 2-3 times, but it's almost like there is a bad connection or something- will try again tomorrow. Buyer said it wasn't used much, if I can't get it working tomorrow it's goin back!

@ TCav:

Thank you too for your support! How did you calculate the DoF? I have an app on my G2- DOF Calculator by AIMEN RG for Android. I wonder if it is accurate? Would like to know as it would come in handy! As I originally stated, I wanted this lens for portrait work, and know I will need a Speedlite at times for that too. So both in concert ought to give some pretty good results when I am schooled properly .

Guess that's it for now, thanks for listening! I really like this thread- it's like my own little world-

~RebelYell~

Canon Rebel T1i
Old Sep 28, 2011, 4:01 AM   #47

Blackrock Castle. Rescaled to fit within forum limits. No other adjustments.
Canon 18-135mm @ 35m f/9 and a 100% crop from same image.
Attached Images

Old Sep 28, 2011, 7:47 AM   #48

corkpix, did you do any touch-ups in the photo in post #7, or the photo link in post 14? I can tell the lighting was different- the sun really makes things pop . There is a definite difference in the clarity with the Tamron lens, I will get there I hope!

~RebelYell~

Canon Rebel T1i
Old Sep 28, 2011, 7:56 AM   #49

Quote:
How did you calculate the DoF?
DoFMaster.com
Old Sep 28, 2011, 8:07 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Oooooo, thank you

~RebelYell~

Canon Rebel T1i