Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 6, 2011, 11:46 PM   #1

Default "Good" zoom lens for portraits on a T1i

Greetings!

I have been trolling the forums for a few days now, and decided to join up! I am still a little new to photography, been doing it semi-seriously for about a year now. Just upgraded to a Rebel T1i, and looking to take it to the next level!

I am currently looking for a "Good" lens I can shoot portraits with, that also has a little zoom. I had a Rebel XSi with a Canon EF-S 18-135mm IS. I gave the XSi to my son who is also into photography, and kept the lens for now. Don't worry- I will make sure he has a decent lens to start out with . Anyhoo, been doin a little diggin and if I had to go with a prime my first choice would be a EF-S 60mm Macro. I do want to take the best pics possible, so if the gurus say stick with a prime that is what I will do!

That said, what I really want is a low power zoom for a little flexability. From what I have read, the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II (non-stabilized) seems to be a good chioce?! It's about the zoom range I was looking for, nice low light, and fairly sharp. And of course Good = in my price range . I don't have a hard figure on the budget for the lens, but prob $500 or less. I know it's not alot to work with, but it's all I can do for now...

In conclusion, if all you knowledgeable folks could help answer these Q's I'd very much appreciate it!!!

1) Get the 60mm prime and take the pics AMATURE

2) Get the Tamron 17-50mm, and may the photographic force be with you

3) While the Tamron is a good choice, I would reccomend...

Or something like that...

Thanks in advance, and YES- I do like Smileys. ALOT. You are all lucky this forum doesn't have too many to choose from or GOD HELP YOU ALL

~RebelYell~
~RebelYell~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2011, 8:18 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~RebelYell~ View Post
Greetings!

I have been trolling the forums for a few days now, and decided to join up!
Welcome to the forum.

Quote:
I am currently looking for a "Good" lens I can shoot portraits with, that also has a little zoom. I had a Rebel XSi with a Canon EF-S 18-135mm IS. I gave the XSi to my son who is also into photography, and kept the lens for now. Don't worry- I will make sure he has a decent lens to start out with . Anyhoo, been doin a little diggin and if I had to go with a prime my first choice would be a EF-S 60mm Macro. I do want to take the best pics possible, so if the gurus say stick with a prime that is what I will do!
That sounds like a good plan. I have the Canon 50mm f/2.5 compact macro.
It is a very good portrait lens and an excellent general purpose 50mm prime.

Quote:
That said, what I really want is a low power zoom for a little flexability. From what I have read, the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II (non-stabilized) seems to be a good chioce?!
This is a really excellent lens, even when it is compared to lenses
that cost three times as much. I bought one a couple of months ago
after I received some good advice on this forum.
http://pix.ie/corkpix/album/416187

Quote:
It's about the zoom range I was looking for, nice low light, and fairly sharp. And of course Good = in my price range . I don't have a hard figure on the budget for the lens, but prob $500 or less. I know it's not alot to work with, but it's all I can do for now...
You should have change out of $500. I paid Eur276 for mine.

Quote:
1) Get the 60mm prime and take the pics AMATURE
If you have need for a macro lens, this is probably a good choice.
It should double as a good portrait lens. 60mm is equivalent to
about 96mm on your crop sensor Canon. This is fine for portraits
but a very limited field of view for any other purpose.

Quote:
2) Get the Tamron 17-50mm, and may the photographic force be with you
If you want a good portrait and landscape lens, this one is hard to beat.

Quote:
3) While the Tamron is a good choice, I would reccomend...
The Tamron.

Last edited by corkpix; Sep 20, 2011 at 6:38 AM.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 8:48 AM   #3

Hmmm, score one for the Tamron! Thank you corkpix for the reply, much appreciated. While the 60mm prime is a darn good lens, I really like the versitility of a zoom- I imagine I will be doing some landscape pics so the 60mm is definately not the best choice. Will give it a bit and see what other opinions I can get before I make a final decision!

~RebelYell~
Old Sep 7, 2011, 9:11 AM   #4

A lot depends on what type of portraits you want to take. If you want that shallow DOF look, 60mm f/2.8 probably isn't the best option. You're better off with a 50mm 1.4 or 85mm 1.8 if you need to use indoors. Outdoors, a 70-200 f4 can be a very nice lens for this type of work.

for example, here's a shot with the 85mm 1.8 taken with a 1dIII (so 1.3x sensor instead of the 1.6x sensor in your camera):

same setup:

It's also worth mentioning that a good external flash will do a lot for portrait photography if you don't have or don't want to have a strobe setup.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 12:17 PM   #5

Haha, now THAT'S a face! Too cute!!! Yes, I know about the 50mm & 85mm- have given then MUCH consideration. But from what I have read the 60mm will give similar results, plus the macro (if I have it, I will use it). I was thinking like studio portraits, def some outside stuff- semi-pro of course . I have seen what a Nikon D300 with good glass and good PP software can do on my son's senoir pics and said to myself "I can do that!!!". And for a HELL of alot cheaper . She had a zoom lens, but I didn't get a chance to see what it was. I fancy myself a decent photographer . And a good external flash (and prob a remote) is next on the list. After that, a 70-200mm f/4L.

What is your opinion on the Tamron?

These were taken with my XSi + 18-135mm IS:

#1 That's my boy . Noisey, YES- the lighting was crap in there!
#2 I'm gonna be the official photographer at our local ASPCA
#3 Just turned out pretty cool-

~RebelYell~
Attached Images

Old Sep 7, 2011, 12:20 PM   #6

Those pics I just put up look WAAAY fuzzy compared to the originals?!?! What's up with that!

~RebelYell~
Old Sep 7, 2011, 4:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~RebelYell~ View Post
Those pics I just put up look WAAAY fuzzy compared to the originals?!?! What's up with that!

~RebelYell~
The forum software has limits on the maximum image size and maximum
file size for uploaded images. If I recall correctly, the limits are 1024 pixels
on the longest side and 256kB. Any images that exceed these limits are
rescaled so that they are 799 pixels on the longest side and compressed
using JPEG compression. Another unfortunate side effect is that the
EXIF information is stripped from the image file.

The best way to post high resolution images is put them on
a photo sharing site and post links to the image. Most sites
have a reasonably small default display size with the option of
viewing at other sizes if you click on the image. Like this:
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 5:51 PM   #8

Ya, I have been itchin to sign up on Flickr- guess now is the time! unless anybody knows a better photo hosting site? And are there any more comments/opinions on the OP? I get carried away WAY to easy .

~RebelYell~
Old Sep 7, 2011, 10:42 PM   #9

I have the Tamron 17-50mm and Canon 60mm macro. I find the 17-50mm more useful for general walking around lens. The 60mm is sharper but it doesn't focus as fast as the 17-50mm on my Rebel XT.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 11:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_spock View Post
I have the Tamron 17-50mm and Canon 60mm macro. I find the 17-50mm more useful for general walking around lens. The 60mm is sharper but it doesn't focus as fast as the 17-50mm on my Rebel XT.
Hmm, don't know where to go with that? I know I should go with a prime for portraits, but it's just sooo convienent having a little zoom . This is gonna drive me nuts- will be a week or two before I'm ready to buy so hopefully others will chime in. Going to have to do my famous exhaustive research; I waste more of my life on the internet than I care to admit . But that's the way it is when every $1 counts...

Thank you dr_spock for your insight

~RebelYell~