Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 14, 2011, 7:39 PM   #1

Default Magic Lantern question

Hi all I would like to try this Magic Lantern software but a little nervous about "This could destroy your camera" thing...lol Does anyone have experience with ML and is that warning actually destroying cams etc.
Any input from folks using ML would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks all
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2011, 9:20 PM   #2

I tried it a few times with my T1i. It was in it's early stages and was still quite buggy. I have not tried it with my 60D, but will probably load it once they get a few more bugs sorted out. As far as I have read... not one camera has been bricked because of using the ML software. It really adds some nice features that the camera's are capable of... I really liked the intervalometer feature and the ability to get shutter count.
PhrozeN_FisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2011, 9:26 PM   #3

Thanks Phrozen current version is Magic Lantern 0.2.1 I think I'll give it a go. I read on dpreview that it can be triggered by lightning if I read it right as the post was a little confusing to me.
Here's the quote " I can't believe the Magic Lantern exposure capture feature works. I never though the camera could be so fast. So it can be said is faster than light. Awesome"
Then shows a lightning pic
Old Sep 15, 2011, 6:52 AM   #4

Just be sure the build you use is for the firmware version installed on your camera. Just in case you missed it, here is a link to the user guide that explains the ML features.

http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/U...Guide#Features

I look forward to hearing your thoughts and experience with ML.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:04 AM   #5

Thanks Phrozen I am going to boot from ML today and mess with it and will report back tomorrow.
Thanks
Old Sep 16, 2011, 9:30 AM   #6

Well it installed very easy and there are a TON of features and I have been wanting to try HDR for some time now and ML lets you go as far as 9 steps for HDR and yesterday was to just find my way around ML but it sure looks promising so far. It's menu is nice but have to put on my reading glasses in order to see it but I'm getting older (48) lol and I will post more as soon as I'm able to get out. On a side note I did find a rather interesting picture style called "marvels_cine_v34" that gives that nice flat look to photo and video.
Phrozen, apparently it's ready for the 60D if I read right and no longer a beta but now a stable release
Old Sep 25, 2011, 12:57 PM   #7

Glad it installed and ran fine for you. I will have to check out the new release. It's a shame the factory doesn't incorporate some of these features the cameras are quite capable of using. I fully understand the "glasses" thing.... 56 here! ;-(