Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 7, 2011, 9:45 AM   #1

Default transferring pictures from internal memory to a CF card

A friend just brought by her Canon EOS Rebel XT, she took some pictures yesterday and they went onto the internal memory and not the CF card. How do you transfer the pictures? Is there an easy way? I'm looking at purchasing this kind of camera for myself so am interested in the answer as well. I played with the camera, and also looked through the manual, and could find no answers.
Thanks in advance.

Sid
cowichansid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2011, 11:52 AM   #2

I wasn't aware the Rebel XT has an internal memory...!! :/
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2011, 1:23 PM   #3

Apparently it does. When I was playing with the menu options I found an entry that asked if you wanted to use the CF, actually it gave the option of ON or OFF. So, the pictures are viewable, but when the card is removed from the camera only 8 or so pictures show up, the remainder 20+ pictures are not on there, but are viewable on the camera. And if it's a question of a couple of novices who don't know what they're doing with the camera, well, that's something we need to know as well. I just thought it was interesting that the camera gives the option of using the CF card or not.
Thanks
Old Oct 7, 2011, 6:10 PM   #4

G'day Sid

I suspect that you will have to physically connect the camera to the computer via its cable, bill-gates will find the camera and allow you to transfer the images to the computer

Let us know how you get on
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2011, 1:01 PM   #5

I have a Rebel XT. There is an option to enable to shoot without a CF memory card in the camera. This will allow the camera to take a picture when you don't have a CF card installed and display on the LCD screen with a warning message "No CF Card". That picture is not saved in the camera and lost once the next picture is taken as there is no internal memory to store the pictures.

But it sounds like you did have a CF card in the camera and couldn't find some pictures. How are you searching for the pictures on the memory card? The Rebel XT will create a new folder on the card for every 100 pictures.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2011, 2:09 PM   #6

Thanks so much for all the information. My friend connected the camera physically to the computer and transferred the new pictures that way. I'm wondering if the CF card could need to be reformatted or replaced?
Old Oct 10, 2011, 5:15 PM   #7

It is best to format the CF card in the camera using format from the menu instead of in the computer. That way the file system structure is the one the camera supports.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2011, 4:41 PM   #8

That makes sense to me. The camera actually belongs to her stepson but he's never been able to use all the functions in it.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 6:57 PM   #9

just leave the cf card out.. hook it up to the computer. and just download them.. then delete.. just do not put the card in while doing this
lonefeather93 is offline   Reply With Quote