Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 7, 2011, 2:41 PM   #1

Default Upgrade or Not?

Hi Everyone,

I would appreciate feedback from anyone on this topic. I have been doing photography for some time now. Although I don't consider myself a pro I would say I am an advanced amateur. There have also been many courses I have taken to improve my skills. I feel comfortable with the advanced features of a DSLR. Currently I am using a T1i which I've had for a little under 2 yrs (21 months to be exact ).

Even though the T1i is well above your standard "point and shoot". I still feel like I want more from the camera. Now that I have a better understanding of all it can do (ie: manual shooting). I have been tossing around the idea of moving up to the 60D. For right now the 7D remains above my budget .

What are people’s feelings about that camera and if it's worth the move. I know the T3i is a very close match. But again that keeps me in the "consumer line". My plan was to make a step up (60D) and not be looking for another camera because I outgrew the T3i.

It would be the body only as I hope the 15-85mm lens will be next if I move up.

Thoughts or comments?
ttonnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2011, 4:40 PM   #2

What do you want to do that you can't with your T1i?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2011, 5:09 PM   #3

Tcav & Others:

Typically I am shooting lanscapes, oudoor or nature. In addition to some architechure and vacation photos. Nothing high end or super professional. So, I guess it's fair to say the T1i does the job.

What prompted the thought about the upgrade was Canon is now on the T3i. Replaced the 50D and offers significant enhancements on these cameras. Because of that I feel like I am missing something. That in addition to the "fuller feel" of the bigger 60D.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 5:34 PM   #4

If it was still available,I would go for the faster,heavier/bigger(tougher!) 50D- though the tilt/swivel screen is a welcome(and overdue...)addition...
But as Tcav says- what are you missing...?
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2011, 12:30 PM   #5

Going with a 50D means you may have to buy new memory cards if you don't already have CF cards. 60D uses SD cards. What do you find lacking with your T1i?
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2011, 10:08 PM   #6

I can't really say anything is really lacking with the T1i. Being that it's a decent dslr. It's more wanting some of changes since my cam was purchased about 2 yrs ago. The fuller feel of 60d, the tilt LCD, in camera processing of raw to jpg. And the settings LCD on top of the 60d which doesn't exist on the T1i.

Knowing that the glass is typically the most important part of any camera. I want to be sure I am making the right choice. Currently I have the 18-55 kit lens, a 50 prime and a 70-300 tele. All of which are Canon. Which is what had me considering the new body.

Last edited by ttonnis; Oct 8, 2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 3:41 AM   #7

maybe you should wait a little bit more and buy 2012 Canon lineup
idenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2011, 8:33 PM   #8

Good suggestion on waiting. Being that I would get X model and be thinking only if I waited. This exact same thing happened with my t1i. About 2 months after getting it. The T2i was out and very shortly after the T3i. Only if I knew when the 2012 lineup was due out. That may make waiting a better option.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 8:40 AM   #9

At my house we shoot with T1i and 7D, my wife uses the T1i and usually beats my backside in getting the "keeper" shot. When looking at pictures from the two cameras side by side, we can't tell any difference between the two cameras. Well except for the wife says she captured better shots but that's a different subject all together. For what you are shooting the T1i is a great camera. So I would suggest waiting before upgrading and just spend some time taking pictures with the T1i and have fun taking pictures.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 9:09 AM   #10

Going from the T1i to the T2i, the big benefit was the new 18MP sensor.

Going from the T2i to the T3i, the big benefit was the better video.

You haven't mentioned anything that would lead me to believe that the T3i would be much of an upgrade for you.

If you've got money burning a hole in your pocket, I've got one word for you:

LENSES!
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote