Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 11, 2011, 8:12 PM   #1

Default Stepping up to Raw shooting?

I'm finally convincing myself to start shooting in raw. I'm using a T1i and have just bought and started using Lightroom 3. I know some of the advantages of raw format, including more flexibility in post-processing in terms of white balance, noise, and total image detail. I would appreciate any links to online discussions or tutorials to help me learn the ins and outs of working with raw files and how to get the most out of my shots. I've already found several online tutorials to help me get into the basics of Lightroom.
Thanks,
Dan
requa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2011, 5:02 AM   #2

Hi one of the places i go is youtube i nearly always find someone who has done it before.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:29 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Go to Luminous Landscape. Lots of articles on how and why to shoot RAW.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:42 AM   #4

I remember many moons ago being disappointed with my Canon 10D's jpeg's- and how different a story it was shooting Raw...!!
I couldn't believe the difference I could achieve in detail etc.... and as an added bonus the Photoshop CS I had at the time opened up the Raw files...!
Strange then,that I haven't shot Raw in my 20D- but the jpeg's are so much better than the 10D...!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 6:53 PM   #5

Thank you, Peripatetic. I checked out Luminous Landscape and found the tutorial Understanding RAW Files Explained. I enjoyed the explanation of a lot of the technical details of file conversion, which went much deeper than my prior general understanding, and look forward to browsing through more of these articles. It looks like the bottom line is finally sinking in with me by analogy to lessons learned long ago in my past career as a chef: I can always add more pepper later a lot easier than I can make up for too much pepper now. In other words, I'll shoot in RAW knowing that I can always reduce file size (and detail) later as needed, but I can never get those details back if I don't shoot them.

On a side note, one consideration mentioned in the above tutorial just doesn't wash with me. It discusses among the "pros" of shooting in JPEG the reduction in file size. While this is certainly true, I remind myself that memory is much cheaper than lost memories. My blank 8 GB card in my T1i shows 362 shots remaining, and I know I have over 700 GB of free hard drive space. I'm not worried about filling up either at my amateur shooting rate. WHy should I care that a photo is 15 MB instead of 5 MB? If I do care, maybe it'll help me concentrate on taking quality shots instead of voluminous ones.

Thanks,
Dan
Old Oct 12, 2011, 7:52 PM   #6

The only issue i have with raw shooting is the time my computer takes to convert to jpg. If it's an important shoot, i'll do raw+jpg and hope that the jpgs will be ok. i can always play with a few raw images if i want to really get some nice results.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:08 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Requa,

The next thing I highly recommend is to purchase Adobe Lightroom and the Luminous-Landscape video tutorial on the program. You will most likely find that it is the only piece of photo software you need, and it's one heck of a lot cheaper than Photoshop, and aimed at photographers not graphic designers, web designers, print shops, 3D artists, etc, etc.

It means that there is almost no downside at all to shooting RAW.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 8:36 AM   #8

I'm now shooting raw images and importing them in Lightroom. One thing I immediately noticed was that the images appear washed out until I applied a white balance (either auto or full sun). I understand that the raw image has not been processed in-camera, but the preview on my LCD appears to be displayed through a white balance filter. I assume the ideal would be to adjust my image capture settings (aperture and speed) to get closer to a finished product before any white balance filtering, but I'm not sure where to start. Is this even a realistic expectation, or should I always just count on post-processing?
Old Nov 1, 2011, 8:42 AM   #9
Super Moderator

The image on your LCD is a jpg thumbnail. By default LR should apply the WB setting that your camera thought was appropriate.

The most likely reason for any difference you are seeing is a monitor calibration issue.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 9:54 PM   #10

Thanks peripatetic, but this does not seem to be what is happening for me. I shot pictures variously with auto and full sun WB, but LR defaults to "As Shot." I know I could set LR up to apply a specific WB on import (I think), but how do I set it to apply my in-camera decision?