Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 20, 2004, 10:16 AM   #1

Default 10d lens suggestions

See post of Jan 7, 04 - "Canon digital Rebel"

I decided to get the 10D instead of the Rebel mainly because of the buffer size. I got the 24-85 lens with it and so far am happy with it.

I need some other suggestions for lenses. I'm not stuck on Canon lens only. I understand that Sigma and Tamron have some quality lenses.

I will be taking portrait, sports, landscapes and anything else that stands still or moves.

I also have two 256 cards and back up batteries. Any other suggestions. Thanks for your help.
dbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2004, 11:55 AM   #2

This is always asked and always tough to answer. SO much depends on budget, intentions and perception of quality, etc. Based solely on your info, there are many choices. A good complement of slightly overlapping lenses is a good "kit" - but how much and quality/budget is up to you and your needs.

For instance, a Sigma 12-24 or 15-30 (I have one, works fine) may be a good wide-zoom choice. There are those who would say, you moved up to an 10D - go Canon "L" and get the 17-40. Personally, I liked the extra 3mm of wideangle and found the quality very close and the price signif. less. On the top end, again, what is it for and what is the budget. A decent 70-whatever zoom may do well, or a Bigma 50-500 (my choice for my reasons - my "middle" lens is the Canon 28-135 IS as my "walkaround"). In starting out, my personal taste/needs/budget found a 3 lens setup good enough for both quality and overall coverage and application. There are many choices of decent or better lenses to fill that "kit". Do some research and make comparisons, based on your needs and budget.

That's what most of us did. I'm happy with mine, others may want all "L" glass. Neither is wrong necessarily. In the end it's up to you.
flint350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2004, 11:55 AM   #3

nt - sorry, first try appeared not to work.
Old Jan 20, 2004, 12:13 PM   #4

Default Sigma EX lens

The best lens are Cannon "L" but also the most $$$. There are some good Slow (F stop) ones that are not to $$$.

I have Sigma lens (only their EX version ) this is their top of line lens

I recommend staying away from low end Sigma for the good camera you have. Tthe following are my views of the Sigma lens I have

Sigma 15-30 EX 3.5-4.5 for Group photos and landscapes

The Good
Good Build quality (not Plastic)
Sharp
Good Price - $459

The not so Good
Can not use 10D on camera flash
Can not remove Hood or use outside filters

Sigma 28-70 EX 2.8 All around lens

The good
Fast 2.8 all the way
Good price $299

The not so good
A little soft wide open
Standard speed on AF (non HSM)
I have heard Tamron 's counterpart may be better optical

Sigma 70-200 EX HSM 2.8

The good
Fast 2.8 all the way
Includes Try/mono pod collar
Great price $600

The not so good
Heavy (but all 2.8 lens in 70-200 are)
No IS version.

Also I have a Sigma 1.4 EX TC

Also there is a SIGMA 12-24 EX that a lot of people recommend I think it is HSM

Conclusion
Between the 15-30, 28-70, 70-200 and the 1.4 TC I have good Glass for under $1500

Last if you can find one the CANNON 50 1.8 is great for under $75.00 (plastic)
RobertL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 10:57 AM   #5

Default 10d lens suggestions

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I have a lot to chew on. The next lens I buy will probably be a long range zoom lens. Anyone have a favorite that won't require mortgaging my house.
dbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 11:28 AM   #6

That battle often comes down to the Canon 100-400 L (and some others) vs. something like the Sigma 50-500 EX HSM. I just got my Bigma and am learning to use it, both handheld (two men and a medium sized boy required) and tripod. I like the Sigma EX glass in my 15-30, so I decided to try this $780 lens vs. the Canon $1400.

I'll let you know soon what I find.
Old Jan 21, 2004, 1:08 PM   #7

Those two were to be my suggestions. Realize that you get more reach on the Sigma (of course) but you loose 1/2 a stop of light. That will make it less than idea for some types of photography, specifically where higher shutter speeds (to stop motion) are required.

I have the 100-400 and like it... but it could be better. I"ll probably purchase a telephoto (non-zoom) in the future to give me better optical quality. I can get great stuff with the 100-400, but I can also get soft mush.... some times its me, some times it isn't.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 5:52 PM   #8

Today I was out with the Bigma and came across some Canada Geese, seagulls and ducks near a frozen lake. I used the opportunity to try my hand (literally) and unplanned with the Bigma in cloudy skies. I don't know about posting images here, so I will post links. The links are to all hand-held shots, 1st full frame slightly downsized for web, then a 100% crop from the frame for detail. Two pairs of these. Last image is a squirrel who happened onto my back deck. Included him for fun. These photos are not meant to represent any artistic achievement (obviously) - just some quick shots to show the Bigma in handheld action.

Old Feb 26, 2004, 9:47 PM   #9

I take good photos with my DRebel using a Tamron 28-300. Two most recent albums below were shot with this set-up.

http://community.webshots.com/user/johnwmitchell100
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2004, 10:59 PM   #10

Flint 350...

Thanks for the Bigma posts. I ordered that tank awhile back but made the mistake of ordering parcel post, so I'm still waiting for it. Your photos make me lick my lips. I've seen some other quite spectacular images done with this lens, and I'm very surprised at the sharpness that can be gleaned from time to time, and hand-held -- holding 4 pounds of metal may even offer a bit of "natural" IS in and of itself. In any event, your photos to me are like a little boy staring into the candy shop waiting for his allowance to arrive.

Thanks!
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote