Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 12, 2011, 5:38 PM   #1

Default Canon 5D Mark ll Questions

I've admired the Canon 5D Mk. ll from afar over the past couple of years. A fellow photographer has one, very impressed with his work with this camera.

Currently I have two ASP-C bodies and an assortment of lenses...not a Canon system. I'm very pleased with the equipment of this cropped sensor.

I also have a Canon G 12 and a 430 EX ll flash. Very pleased with this little camera, although I realize it won't match a DSLR...either a cropped sensor or a full frame.

Anyways..the Canon 5D2 and Canon 24-105 L lens is going for a great price up here right now.

It's still more than I would like to spend...but I don't deny that it isn't worth it.

Some questions though :
  • Does the 5D2's picture quality really exceed the picture quality of a top quality (say Canon 7D) cropped sensor DSLR at say 8 X 10 or 11 X 14 ?
  • Wondering what the experience of someone who has had...say a 7D and gone to a 5D2 ? Was it worth it or not worth it ? Why ?
  • What have owners of a 5D2 found to be the advantages or disadvantages of the 5D2 ?
  • How do you find the 24-105 Canon lens as a top quality lens ?

Mostly I take pictures of vintage vehicles (parked) in the outdoors...landscapes, wildlife....birds perched, a few BIF ( my older DSLR @ 3fps seems to capture them reasonably well) , wild animals in the bush, etc.

Thanks for any answers, much appreciated.

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2011, 8:38 AM   #2

I don't shoot either (I shoot a 1DIV & 1DIII), but here is a pretty cool site that lets you compare image quality between the two cameras:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

From looking at this site, my conclusion is that the 5D2 has better ISO performance & better color, so for portraits, it looks like the winner to me. On the other hand, the 7D might be a better choice for wildlife, not just because of FPS, but because of AF IQ in AI Servo mode.

The best answer is to hock everything you own and get the new 1DX when it comes out in March.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 5:48 PM   #3

I have both.. i love the 5dII but for doing some of the sports shots.. i like my 7d. fps...... but when i do senior pics and bike shoots.. the full frame it the goto one.. but then it really determines on what lens you use to what affect. but over all i don't have the budget for the 1dMk4 but for where my money went.. im really happy
lonefeather93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2011, 1:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnan View Post
I don't shoot either (I shoot a 1DIV & 1DIII), but here is a pretty cool site that lets you compare image quality between the two cameras:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

Thank you for providing this site.

From looking at this site, my conclusion is that the 5D2 has better ISO performance & better color, so for portraits, it looks like the winner to me. On the other hand, the 7D might be a better choice for wildlife, not just because of FPS, but because of AF IQ in AI Servo mode.

The best answer is to hock everything you own and get the new 1DX when it comes out in March.
A fine camera. I wish I had the budget....although as I take more pics of relatively stable objects (vintage cars) if I had the budget, I think I would lean towards the Medium format Pentax 645D.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 2:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonefeather93 View Post
I have both.. i love the 5dII but for doing some of the sports shots.. i like my 7d. fps...... but when i do senior pics and bike shoots.. the full frame it the goto one.. but then it really determines on what lens you use to what affect. but over all i don't have the budget for the 1dMk4 but for where my money went.. im really happy
I have a buddy who has a 7D...a great all arounder camera and for taking pics of BIF...very hard to beat.