Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 19, 2011, 9:11 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Default 1DmkIII no longer in my kit list

I'm pretty sad as today I traded in my favourite camera. I had wanted a 1D camera for a long time so the day I got mine was amazing. However, over the past few years I've not shot much sport so it didn't get any use so I couldn't justify keeping it in my bag. I traded it in for a 2nd 5DmkII as I really needed to have identical cameras to shoot weddings with rather than having a 5DmkII and 5D classic combo. I'm sad but also know that the new 5DmkII will pay for itself so a much better investment..... it just isn't sexy like a 1D
Old Nov 19, 2011, 6:42 PM   #2

Not sexy...?? The 5D's not exactly an ugly duckling...lol...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2011, 12:07 AM   #3

i would say congrats.. but oh yeah you already have it.. lol oh well just get a battery grip and you will be happy.. But congrats tho.. i think.
lonefeather93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2011, 1:36 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Soon enough you will have a 1DX.

Trade in everything except one 5D2 as backup, you will be able to do it.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 3:04 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
Not sexy...?? The 5D's not exactly an ugly duckling...lol...
Yeah, but not the looks, the coolness of the camera, the 10 fps, stunning shutter sounds (more real than most cameras), the great AF and finally the build quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonefeather93 View Post
i would say congrats.. but oh yeah you already have it.. lol oh well just get a battery grip and you will be happy.. But congrats tho.. i think.
I have battery grips on everything, even the little 500D has one on but it's still tiny lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
Soon enough you will have a 1DX.

Trade in everything except one 5D2 as backup, you will be able to do it.
Hmmmmm, nice plan, but I wouldn't like to shoot a wedding with less than 3 bodies in case one goes down. I'm really waiting to see the noise at higher ISO on this beast, will be very interesting. I'm worried though that Nikon will totally trump Canon in the next month or so with the next release as I don't think Canon did enough with the 1DX but we shall see.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 5:45 PM   #6
Super Moderator

If you have a 1DX a single 5D2 will be fine as backup.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 5:54 PM   #7
Super Moderator

I wouldn't be brave enough, I always have 2 bodies on the go, one with a wide option and one with a tele, so to get reduncancy I would want 3 otherwise it would impact on my style. When shooting just the couple I could manage with one body and change lenses as needed but not in the service or reception.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 10:54 AM   #8

Mark, my daughter wants to upgrade her camera body (40D). She's a full time college student (art & photography major) & does shoots on the side, such as senior pictures, engagement photo's, album shots for aspiring musicians, etc. She hasn't done a wedding yet, but I'm sure she'll be asked to do so soon. She thinks she wants my MK III, which would be fine with me, but I think she would be better served with something like a 5DII, or even a 5D classic. Based on this thread, it seems like you would agree with that assessment. The simplest thing would be to just give her my MK III, but I think even the 5D classic would be a better choice. I can pick one up here locally for $1,000 from a photographer friend with 4500 shutter releases, battery grip & two batteries. Thoughts?
Old Nov 22, 2011, 11:04 AM   #9
Super Moderator

The highest qualified photographer in my city shoots with the 5D and is considering moving to the mkII but hasn't bothered yet as the 5D does all she needs. Check out her blog, http://www.louisesumnerphotography.co.uk/ that's pretty good testament to the capabilities of the camera. I love the mkII for the higher resolution and better ISO handling, don't get me wrong, I've had no issues with the 5D, just for me I wanted two cameras the same so went with a 2nd mkII.

Bambi Cantrell used to shoot with 1DmkIII bodies so again no problem with using that either. For me, I prefer either full frame or APS-C for 'normal' work as there are lenses designed for the 'normal' focal lengths. With the APS-H of the mkIII it never sat well with me as a main camera but I did use it as a 2nd camera to my 5D before I had the 5DmkII.

The offer you've been made is a good sounding one, just remember the glass considerations of being full frame and get something that works well with the camera.