Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 20, 2011, 6:02 PM   #1

Default 7D or 5Dmkii + lens's

Hi All,

I'm just new at the forum , and have been looking at some older post for a while, and I lust say I'm very impressed with comments everyone puts forward.

My issue is I'm looking at upgrading from my 450d to either of the above, I think I have pretty much made my mind up with the 7D because i like to do a lot of sports, but my problem is the lens to go with it. I have a 17-85 usm is that came with the 450d and also a canon 50mm 1.4.

I love the 1.4 , and like most im looking for that 2.8 lens that will be a great all-rounder, and the another one which by looking at some older post is the big question of what 70-200. I can say that i properly will want to shoot some low light awards and concerts of the kids at school, but the most of the work with the 70-200 would be sports so I was thinking the non is 2.8 from canon, or the sigma 2.8.

the other lens i like is the 24-105 2.8 but like most people on a crop body the 24 might not cut it, but i figure a 10-22 sigma would make up the slack for any landscape.

that leaves me with only 4 lens's to cart around that can do nearly everything I want. and no efs lens's so a upgrade to FF in the future wont effect my lens's
Im guessing there are alot out there in the same position .
Neddah71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2011, 8:25 PM   #2

Neddah

Welcome to the forums. A few quick thoughts:

For sports the Canon 7D definitely has superior AF and frame speed than the 5DmkII.

Canon's 17-85mm is a decent lens. At the wide end, image quality not great - but stopped down, or zoomed in a few mm, it improves somewhat. It has a very useful focal range on an APS-C camera (1.6x crop)... many people are very happy with it, and the USM focus, and IS are good 'bonuses' too.

If you want to do sport - especially low light stuff, a Canon or Sigma 2.8 zoom could be useful - and you basically pay for what you get (more money = higher quality, IS - that can be handy for some situations, but not all), etc. The pick of the bunch is the relatively new Canon 70-200mm f2.8 L USM IS II.... but it's also the most expensive.

However you might need a prime for even more low light capability (eg f2.0 / f1.8 or maybe even f1.4 like your Canon 50mm f1.4). It depends on the distance from you to the subject what focal length eg 85mm f1.8, 130mm f2.0, 200mm f2.0 (expensive) etc.

I have the Canon 70-300mm L, which I love - as I'm more of a wildlife / bird photographer than sports, and it's not suitable for low light sports - as it doesn't have the wide aperture. There are some dedicated / more professional sports photographers who can fill you in more.

You typed / mentioned a few lenses which don't exist. "24-105 2.8" doesn't exist (yet)... Canon does a 24-105mm f4 L USM IS (which is a great lens on a full frame) - but yes, on an APS-C camera, it's not that wide. I speak from experience having had a Canon 28-135mm which I was happy with (optically mine was very good), but it isn't as versatile as a dedicated APS-C lens starting around 15-18mm.

My most used lens is the Canon 15-85mm USM IS, which has great optical quality: sharpness, colour and contrast (equivalent to most L lenses in these regards) - good build quality, 4 stops IS and USM focus. However it won't be compatible if you upgrade to a full frame.

You also wrote "a 10-22 Sigma". This lens also doesn't exist. There are two Sigma varients of 10-20mm (f4-5.6 and f3.5) as well as a Canon 10-22mm. There is also a Sigma 8-16mm. All these are very good ultra wide angle zooms, but only suited to APS-C camera bodies.

The other option you have is the Sigma 12-24mm (there is an 'original' and ver II out) - which have generally positive reviews. These are compatible on ff, giving an extremely ultra wide 12mm on FF, and about 'true 19mm' in 35mm format on an APS-C camera (which is still quite wide!)

So my quick advice about the 'wider' end - IF you want to go to FF in the future & you don't mind swapping lenses, is get a Sigma 12-24 (ver I or ver II), a Canon 24-105. Otherwise stick with your Canon 17-85mm till you get a FF and in the mean time (for the 'tele' end) concentrate on the 70-200mm or other more sports capable / dedicated lens.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2011, 8:40 PM   #3

Thanks Paul,

sorry about the typos, I did mean the 24-105 F4 , I was tossing up between the 24-70 2.8 and that. And also with the 10-20. Thanks a lot for your insight. looks like I wasn't to far of the beaten track. I have only really just started experimenting a bit more since I have usually been on the other end of the camera with sports, and I am now just getting to the limitations of the one lens. I have been trying to keep a track of the focal lengths I shoot most of the time and i could quite easly keep my 50mm on for days on end just around the house , so i thought the 24-105 F4 might do just fine , but i do with they made that in a 2.8 IS. once again thanks for the imput, might have a look at some 12-24 sigma's online now.

I just had a look at some reviews of the sigma 12-24, and they do look pretty good, and it will work with full frame too which I like.

Last edited by Neddah71; Nov 20, 2011 at 9:30 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 9:41 AM   #4

well you could use the 85 1.4 sig prime.. that is the next lens i want.. on the my 7d it would give u more reach then the 50.. but it is a prime..so the question really is will you be using flash also.. because if you can then you can open it up some.. but fps you might not get as many .. but the one could be it .
lonefeather93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:20 AM   #5

what sports do you want to shoot? what level of competition? where specifically can you shoot from? That will determine the requirements of the lens(es) you will need to shoot.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2011, 3:45 PM   #6

thanks for the ideas guys,

At the moment I am just doing some of the kids sports Tennis ( easy to get close), skate park, wake-boarding from the boat, motor-cross , sometimes as a marshal.

most of my sporting things i would assume the non IS cannon 2.8 would fit the bill nicely. The school concerts and awards would benefit from the Is version, nut i would be prepared to use a tripod or flash. its not a big school not many people, so getting close to the action most the time is pretty easy. I am looking at taking some photos of interior and outside of houses for real-estate so i was thinking the cannon ef-s 10-22 would be ok?
Old Jan 10, 2012, 4:45 PM   #7

Hi all, just thought I would let you know that I ended up getting the 7D with the 24-105 F4 Lens. I was a bit worried about he 24 , but i havent had a problem with what I shoot. and oh my, I cant beleive how quick it is to focus and the ratio of keepers has gone up a mile. I just cant stop taking pictures. Thanks for the comments guys. When I get the balls I will post some pics.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 8:28 AM   #8

A 7D with 24-105L is a great combo, I have the same set up also. Just remember to read the 7D manual as it takes a bit of getting use to the 7D focus system (at least for me). Once you get focusing down pat you will love the pictures that setup takes.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:22 AM   #9

Default 7D AF focus questions

Callicajun
You referred to AF focus as needing "a bit of getting used to". What kind of learning curve things were the problem? I have a 7D and am not confident that I am using the AF system properly. I typically shoot sports with a single point AF in AI Servo mode. But occasionally lose shots even when the focus point is on the subject....Of course there are plenty of times when I miss getting the focus point on the subject do to my inability to track the subject that produces OOF shots.
Thanks
Jerry
coachjerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2012, 9:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachjerry View Post
Callicajun
You referred to AF focus as needing "a bit of getting used to". What kind of learning curve things were the problem? I have a 7D and am not confident that I am using the AF system properly. I typically shoot sports with a single point AF in AI Servo mode. But occasionally lose shots even when the focus point is on the subject....Of course there are plenty of times when I miss getting the focus point on the subject do to my inability to track the subject that produces OOF shots.
Thanks
Jerry
Biggest problem I have is getting the 7D to track moving subjects. This seems to be part of a learning curve most people have trouble getting over. The 7D is a great camera for shooting sports, as I have seem some fantastic pictures taken with the 7D. For just what to do to correct my focusing problem, I'm still reading Steve's and practicing.