Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 6, 2004, 6:52 AM   #11

Sorry Maff been away for a while. Canon said that if I have receipt of purchase and have registered the cam it is covered by international warranty. Shot over 1200 pics and still going great. Don't know about Uk law though.
AR
Ausie Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2004, 9:30 PM   #12

hi i bought my digital rebel last year in green bay wi and i brought it back as my personal property no problem however the magicstor 2.2GB microdrive does not work properly on the dr hope this helps
steve
laserdischifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2004, 12:41 AM   #13

I'm a Canadian and just bought 2 lenses from B&H . I'll let you know how it works out. So far so good, as I have received shipment details and I should know in a few days whether the shipment was on time. I've heard good things about B&H, so I think that they have their priorities straight.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2004, 8:05 AM   #14

Hmm, have just called Canon UK. Here's what they said regarding warranty repairs of a 300D purchased in the US.

"Because the camera is covered only by a regional warranty (ie, purchased in US, only covered in US) Canon have no obligation to repair any fault with the camera when it's back in the UK.
BUT, if it did develop a fault, a representative from Canon UK would have to look at the fault on the camera before a decision is made whether to repair under warranty or not.

Because the camera is marketed in the UK, there probably wouldn't be a problem with any repair work under warranty"

So, depending on how that Canon rep felt that day and the price of the repair and whether parts were available would they decided there and then if the camera could be repaired under warranty.

So that's as clear as mud right?

I asked if I could purchase an International warranty.....they said NO.

Well, hearing that, do I go ahead and purchase in the US when I am there in 3 weeks time? What do you think?

Maff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2004, 10:13 AM   #15

If I were you I'd do exactly what you are doing now, but moreso. I would contact Canon USA via email, tell them your plans (e.g. let them know that you wish to spend some money on their equipment). If you get a non-response or a poor or negative one, then try again until you end up with a salesperson who has some brains. The first attempt may not get you there. Keep emailing until you get the response you want. Email stores in the area you plan to go to and tell them about your desire. Wait until you get the proper response, then go with it.
Old Feb 16, 2004, 10:35 AM   #16

Well B&H photo in New York City said that I can purchase a 5 year worldwide warranty from them at a cost of $59.95. Does this sound right to you?

I wonder if this is a Canon warranty or a B&H special.....

I shall enquire further

Thanks for your help on this folks.
Old Feb 16, 2004, 11:48 AM   #17

Quote:
I wonder if this is a Canon warranty or a B&H special.....
What difference does it make as long as B&H lives up to the warranty. It appears that they have a decent track record from what I've read. I'll know better in a few weeks when my own purchases come through.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 6:40 PM   #18

bought the rebel in US friend broght it back for me huge saving but I would check the prices of the CF cards before buying there as they seem expensive.
I bought a Fuji S602 before in Manhatten near central park there was a huge difference in prices from one end of the city to the other so shop around NY seems to be the best place to buy.
I had problems with the exposure but it was covered by a worldwide warranty which I found out about by ringing technical support.

I have put the camera under my house insurance
Also bought a Lowpro Minitrekker rucksack great protection for camera and piece of mind as it looks like a rucksack not a camerabag
dredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 3:08 AM   #19

Some good info and tips there dredd, thanks very much.